Community Spotlight: Minecraft "Blocks of the Avatar" Server

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Holt, Jun 26, 2013.

?

Were you able to follow these instructions?

1. Yes, I'm awesome.

76.2%
  2. No, sadly, I am a homunculus.

23.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holt

Holt Avatar

Did you see the recent Community Spotlight?

Holt Ironfell, Grandmaster Bard of the Poets' Circle Guild, Enemy of Boredom, presents:

"Blocks of the Avatar", a Minecraft Server dedicated to survival play on a custom 'New Britannia' map. Build towns and nations, become Lords and Kings.

YOU MUST BE WHITELISTED TO PLAY.

Just follow these simple instruction carefully:

1. Email your minecraft USERNAME and SotA forum name to holt.ironfell@gmail.com

As of July 15th you must also include a screenshot of your PLEDGE level to Shroud of the Avatar. The Minecraft Server is for SotA backers. We've had a huge response, but also some completely unrelated people. Nothing personal, but Blocks of the Avatar is for actual financial backers of Lord British's latest project.​

The screenshot should look something like this:​
    [​IMG]

2. Your Minecraft IGN/USERNAME is different from your email, if you log in with an email. If you have forgotten or do not know your username, go here: http://minecraft.net/retrievename

3. Subscribe to the POETS' CIRCLE NEWSLETTER. This is the surest way to get the relevant news about the Minecraft Server and Ultra-Important Bard activities. Lord British, Firelotus, B and others subscribed, so you should too!​

That's it!

You will receive an email the first week of July, when we open the doors to everyone who properly applied to be whitelisted. Our whitelist is ESSENTIAL for security and anti-griefing purposes. We will not allow you to connect without communicating with us beforehand. Sorry!

We have an epic adventure ahead of us, and lots of time to kill before Shroud of the Avatar is playable. I want everyone to follow the above instructions so that we can get you on the server playing!

Further instructions will be sent to NEWSLETTER subscribers in early July.

Note: You may leave your USERNAME in this thread. I will 'watch' this thread, so that responses are emailed to me.

YOU MUST BE WHITELISTED TO PLAY

YOU MUST HAVE BACKED SotA FINANCIALLY TO BE WHITELISTED.

2. Holt

Holt Avatar

There are a number of people who were excited about the Community Spotlight, who tried to connect to the server without emailing me the proper username, if they emailed at all. You will need to communicate your username to us at holt.ironfell@gmail.com or by posting IN THIS THREAD.

We are unable to Whitelist you if you do not email holt.ironfell@gmail.com or post your username in this thread.

Unsure what your username is? Go here: http://minecraft.net/retrievename

(edited post to remove usernames for privacy considerations~ FireLotus)

3. Holt

Holt Avatar

To be added to the WHITELIST, please post your Minecraft username below or email it to holt.ironfell@gmail.com.

Reserved for further information.

4. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Mishre

Thanks, looking forward to checking it out.

Marvin and Holt like this.
  5. Holt

Holt Avatar

So 1.6 dropped today, and that means you can breed horses, name pets, used coloured clay and a whole host of other things.

We want to open by Friday of this week, but it may not be possible to open as 1.6, so we would be running as 1.5.2

We have to wait on Bukkit and a number of plugins to update to 1.6 BEFORE we update the server. This awkward timing adds some complications to our plans. So please be patient, and also, be excited; Blocks of the Avatar is going to be helluva good time.

6. Arsonist

Arsonist Avatar

Looking forward to it. So to be clear, Blocks of the Avatar will open on friday as a 1.5.2 server, and will later be updated to 1.6?

7. Grimkor

Grimkor Avatar

We are shooting to open on Friday, that is correct.

As our server uses Bukkit plugins, we will need to wait for that to also be updated to be compatible with the new 1.6 version of Minecraft.
    If the Bukkit guys get a new build out by Friday that will be perfect, but it is not something that we have control over.

So 1.5.2 until we get a 1.6 compatible Bukkit/plugins

8. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

They have made a first attempt to dig my suburb's pits and copper out of the mud and we have only intermittent internet access for the moment. I have literally found external contractors who are allowed to enter the local DSLAM and conduct work, and hired them to audit my connection all the way from my wall socket down the road 4 kilometers and into the DSLAM port cell switch module. Need to make sure I'm back online for work, and play, ASAP! :)

In the mean time I've been able to download the dev release for bukkit 1.6.1 and tonight will be in the process of testing the bukkit dev releases with various plugins. 1.6.1 will be deployed ASAP.

9. Holt

Holt Avatar

Holt Ironfell and the Bards of Poets' Circle Present:
    'Blocks of the Avatar'
    A Shroud of the Avatar Minecraft Adventure.

The world has suffered a massive catastrophe. It is up to you and your friends to rebuild New Britannia on our Custom Minecraft Map!

The day many of you have been waiting for has arrived. The SotA Minecraft Server opens its doors tonight, to those who have signed up with their SotA Forum name and Minecraft Username.

At 8PM PST, today, Friday July 5th, usernames will be added to the whitelist, our server will reboot, and you can begin your adventure from a lowly peasant to ruler of nations.

See the Community Spotlight here: http://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=27691
    If you are not yet whitelisted, you must follow the instructions here:
    http://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/fo...t-minecraft-blocks-of-the-avatar-server.2417/
    * You may also leave your Minecraft username on that thread, instead of emailing it.

Connect to the server after 8PM PST at: play.poetscircle.net

See the dynamic map at http://play.poetscircle.net:25566/

Download the required textures at http://poetscircle.net/poets.zip and put that zip file in your texturepack folder. If you don't use these textures, things will look weird and not awesome at all.

To see all our custom textures and the unique sky with beautiful sunsets and shooting stars, patch minecraft with MCpatcher, found here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...-mcpatcher-hd-fix-410-01/page__hl__ mcpatcher (Do not use any other links, this is the official post on minecraftforum.net)

We are currently running as 1.5.2, but expect a transition to 1.6 as soon as our plugins are updated by their respective authors.

On behalf of myself, Grimkor, AvatarAcid and the Bards of Poets' Circle, we look forward to playing with you!

Yours truly,

Grandmaster Bard Holt Ironfell

10. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick note to let you all know that the server has been updated to 1.6.1, you may all update your clients when you wish and come drop in to say hello!

Regards,
    Av

11. Holt

Holt Avatar

Every application that properly followed the instructions should be whitelisted now. If you have not been whitelisted, please post your minecraft username below.

12. HarryKnackers

HarryKnackers Avatar

SploogeForTheWin is my Minecraft name.

13. Jollygoodfries

Jollygoodfries Avatar

My Minecraft name is Devastatorz. This looks really cool. Looking forward to it.

14. Jollygoodfries

Jollygoodfries Avatar

Oh, well apparently I've been banned, though I haven't even had a chance to join the server yet. Is there a reason?

15. Holt

Holt Avatar

You were banned for spam connecting while not whitelisted. I never received an email from you, nor from this thread, possibly because the Forum is laggy or broken today, possibly because you did not bother to follow the instructions before connecting. I will have you unbanned and whitelisted. Have fun!

16. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Holt Ironfell and the Bards of Poets' Circle Present:
    'Blocks of the Avatar'
    A Shroud of the Avatar Minecraft Adventure.

-- Now Running MineCraft v1.6.2 --

17. jose_smith

jose_smith Avatar

Hello,
    I sent an email, but just to be safe my Minecraft username is:

J0se_Smith

That's a zero even though it doesn't look like it in this font.

Thanks!

18. Holt

Holt Avatar

New:
    YOU MUST HAVE BACKED SotA FINANCIALLY TO BE WHITELISTED.

See the updated instructions above.

This requirement was added because random, completely unrelated people daily try to access the server or apply to the whitelist, and we need a more efficient system to weed out potential griefers, and save our system resources for THIS Community.

19. Fiwald

Fiwald Avatar

Wow, is this server dead already? I've not seen another player nor a 'staff member' for a long time. It's a pity because the server is indeed finely crafted and there should be much to strive for, even I had a great time with incredibly small amount of players for some time. I have no idea why would everyone quit, maybe it has something to do with the specific whitelist-requirements or the mandotory custom texture packs. Or maybe people value other minecraft servers more than this.

20. Holt

Holt Avatar

Your post seems a bit negative and/or passive aggressive, Fiwald, and I'm mystified. The server isn't dead. I've been out of town for a month, and the admin side of things has been expanding the playable area into x4 of what it used to be. We expect to 're-launch' soon, and even promote some of our "incredibly small amount of players" to builders (ie, creative mode). We may even host build competitions.

Considering the project runs side by side with Shroud, we expect it to be busiest when Alpha SotA is available to play. Until then, it is a delightful project for the select few who do value the intimacy and safety (for your hard-won builds) a whitelist-requirement provides, and the incredible detail and beauty that can be orchestrated by a custom resource pack.

AvatarAcid, Grimkor and myself long ago decided that were only a handful of contributors to enjoy our work with it, it would be quite worth the trouble.

Expect a Newsletter update soon, and if it is too much trouble to be whitelisted and use a custom resource pack for a player, that's their own business. I'm not discouraged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.