Why no Gold in banks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brink1123, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Yeah commenting about my feelings about spending my money is doing exactly that.

2. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Given many people have store bought items/patterns the monsters looting is something the devs willnot touch with a looooong pole

3. 3devious

3devious Avatar

OMG can you imagine me doing a Curly shuffle style ragequit if the troll in Ravensmoor were to loot my Knight's winged helm off of me? "Wooop woooop wooop!"
    I can even hear it now! (Now I am going to spend all of my time while flagged hiding from @Valor because I know he would PK me just to see the tears!)

4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I would love to see you get a gold bar and melt it into coins In Your garage. It would make a great video. :)

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

The crowns are really easy to copy (figuratively speaking of course) .. a crucible, hot coal and a clay mold...

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Originally, before player feedback, the idea was to have sieges actually invade the towns and shut down shops.

They also originally planned to have monsters loot npc shops and stuff and add those things to loot tables.

It was also discussed a while back to make gold tangible and give it weight

7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Mmm, let's see... No...

FrostII likes this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Dear @Brink1123 - thankfully.... ;) this is NOT real life . :)
    Gold is currently not steal-able or dupable - and as others have pointed out, if you want to see it - then spread COTA's out on your property.
    Gold needs to stay as a number in your bank, there's plenty of other things that aren't working properly and need fixing.
    The presence of touchable gold isn't one of them.

9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

This is a total non-issue for me. I‘m happy as a clam with gold being a virtual number in my inventory.

I understand that PVPers might like to be able to loot gold that people are carrying, but they can do that with COTOs, can‘t they?

Imagine the outcry when players find something neat to buy on a player vendor and discover that they have to visit a bank first before making a purchase. Then people would demand another programmatic fix to reserve the item, preventing purchase by another player or removal of the item or price change by the owner until they can return with the money.

There is no perfect way to manage gold that would make everyone happy.

I find the current solution to be convenient and have no objections about it.

FrostII and Alley Oop like this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I agree completely, @Kara Brae
    Currently very convenient and certainly not worth ANY programming time to make a MAJOR change such as this would entail.
    Sorry, but you people who feel the need to touch-see-feel gold, will have to make do with COTA's.
    Oh, and DarkStarr agrees.... so you're starting a seriously losing battle here.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Kara Brae likes this.
  11. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I think it would be even better if the gold did not have to be on our person. I have not lost any COTOs when I died. We compromise so much in this game because it is "too hard" and targetting, pathing, collision, story completion and performance are good enough. I don't know why I was expecting this to be done right. I give up.
    Buying COTOs from Portalarium in my case would be rewarding them for half-doing things as they have done in so many of the systems in this game. At least the art team is mostly on point unlike the people making the most money off of this.

12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@3devious
    Could you please state specifically what you are referring to when you say you were "expecting this to be done right" ?

13. Curt

Curt Avatar

if gold coins got weight I believe banks would start to accept them

Spoon likes this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What gold coins are you talking about ?

15. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I carry a little plastic card... secured with a PIN....

@Brink1123 That's a pretty weak argument, in real live Banks don't have your money, and paper money is fake (a promise to pay), even coinage is fake, tokens for money... The Bank takes your money and gives you an account (a book entry with a number that is your money)...

So, stop the crusade... If it were up to me, you could buy treasure decos, to satisfy anyone's need to see their wealth, but they could never be converted back to gold (traded, yes... having weight, yes)...

16. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

I like the idea in the OP, and smelting it into bars too. Piles of coin and bars would make awesome deco... :D

17. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I mean, if you want realism... a person would only be able to carry around a small amount of gold because gold is very heavy. A single gold bar weighs over 27 pounds so taking all that gold with you place to place or carrying it in a dungeon as loot would be fairly impossible to achieve in the volume that would make people happy with the system.

Also, to those comparing it to UO, even in UO they automatically removed the amount from your bank after a certain amount because of weight issues.

No, after seeing what happened in UO to the economy, as much as I would love it to be a physical item, I'm okay with it being a number on my UI. It has nothing to do with sloppy coding. If there is an exploit to be found somewhere, people will find it and exploit it and it can happen in any game. People exploit them all the time. I'd rather not have that happen in this game, personally.

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.