too much night/dark

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by james32401, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Yes, this is a problem in the game right now, many of us have to play it 24x7 in nightvision to see in almost any zone (except desert for me, its bright enough to see). Any forest/cave/dung zone is the worst.

places that have a lot of light (like a house) are no problem

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Sorry another vote for liking it as it is here.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well, if people can't even agree on something as simple as a basic day/night cycle and how dark it should be without any light sources.. I doubt everyone will agree one what constitutes a "good reason" for one way or another.

4. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I do not think it should change, it is natural that it is dark in an cave (i consider it one of the challenges)
    BUT
    Make the green go away from night vision pretty please.
    <puts cherry on top>

Thwip likes this.
  5. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

This is with all the lanterns turned on of course. And the reason holding a torch is not a good option for most is the rapid re-pop of attacking npcs, torches replace the equipped weapon, unless this was changed.

cobran likes this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well I suppose considering I feel I can see just fine with the lights all turns on I can't really relate. Also, my miner has both light and night vision options if I think I need it. I don't see what all the fuss is about when there are plenty of alternatives. If people simply flat refuse to make use of them it stops being the game's problem.

7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I think most people would agree that being able to see stuff in the game even in daylight without using night site is the best thing to agree on. Saying that you dont have the issue and thereby dismissing anyone else is not the best plan especially for new people coming into the game with the same issue (which is widespread) and not even knowing about night site.

I have a good old standard gtx1070 with a good ol normal standard Samsung 27" 4K monitor and I have to run night site near 24x7.

Lets see some video:

Watch me kick on nightsite at the 2 min mark in this one moth old video:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/240196012

Xandra7 and Budner like this.
  8. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Sorry but arguing this way we could do away with all inconvience.. like that dragons breath fire...

I had in the beginning issues too (before i could do light/nightvision/found out about torches.

Every challenge in the game is possible very inconvient for someone....

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If this were a problem for the mass majority we'd have been hearing about it day and night for the last 4 years.

Having started looking at the video I see no problem with daylight.

10. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

#TeamDarkness

'tis all.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Having been active on the forum since the start I think 100 might be a bit high. Or rather, if it's that much of an issue I'd think that number is pretty low. Either way. It's pretty clear there's a pretty big difference of opinion as to the severity of the issue here. It's game vs personal preference vs hardware. How much of the other two should the game itself be responsible for?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

My vote is eternal light. Move skills from the removed moon skill tree to the other magic trees. Move skills from the removed sun skill tree to the other magic trees.

Rename forsaken virtues to Warriors of the Eternal Sun. All fixed. ;)

james32401 and Budner like this.
  13. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Agreed. I love it. Immersive and wonderful. Day/night cycle is maybe even too short for my liking. Night should make you feel the way it does!

Bigg and Feeyo like this.
  14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think a big part of the problem is that not all monitors are alike. It seems that the better a monitor is calibrated for professional graphics or movies, the worse it is for seeing things in SotA. Something about the way the game messes with the graphics to make darkness really crushes low brightness levels. If you try to turn up the brightness, you just get a screen full of low-contrast gray.

And if you're running on Mac, something about the game (probably a Unity bug) was making the darkness even worse, to the point where I could see the whole screen suddenly go darker sometimes at 50% on the first loading screen. I haven't played on Mac in months, so I can't say if it's gotten better.

Also, I normally run with shadows turned off in my video settings. It seems that this makes night darkness at least a little less crappy. Before going completely ballistic, at least try turning them off first.

15. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I really do not understand why it seems so dark for you, are u sure you have your monitor/TV screen calibrated correctly???

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Actually, proper calibration is exactly what seems to make things be too dark.

Kara Brae and Xandra7 like this.
  17. algumacoisaqq

algumacoisaqq Avatar

This is a point we disagree ans may not be realizing it. I don't think the darkness is an envormental issue, it is a gameplay aspect we have to deal with. Sure, it is an underused or poorly used gameplay aspect that could be improved, but the gameplay solution for this is the night vision skill. It looks horible, I agree, but it is what we currently have.

HOWEVER, in your specific case, there might be a contrast issue with your gear. Could you point some videos or screenshots where it is day, but still to dark? I believe you are seeing things in a different way than the rest of us, as mentioned above, and in your case a general brightness improvement could be necessary. Is this issue only in SOTA or other games as well?

18. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

Or you know all those new players who likely have joined since release offering differing opinions than people who have been here for 4 years or even old backers who waited for release to play and didn't frequent the forums.

19. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

He will then need to capture a picture with another device, like a GSM to show us. As if he just uploads a screenshot it will show different for us.

20. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.