too much night/dark

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by james32401, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

But thats not the case, Lighting in this game has changed half a dozen times in this game along with unity upgrades and support for higher DX versions which have included at times significant changes in graphics. The latest dark iteration has only been around for 6 months and YES, its been complained about a lot.

Tamsen, FrostII, Elwyn and 1 other person like this.
  2. algumacoisaqq

algumacoisaqq Avatar

The idea was to look at what he considers too dark. If it looks normal to everyone, but still to dark for him, then it probably is something on his end. The idea wasn't form him to take a screen shot, just point us to something already on the web so we can compare. There should be no diference between seen the game rendering and looking at a screenshot of it, if the idea is to just check monitor calibatrion.

3. james32401

james32401 Avatar

We all spend good money on our graphics capabilities and in today's gaming world the graphics are stunning . Who wants to play in that green 50 percent of the time? No trouch if you duel wield. And forcing me to use a skill is limiting my already limited passive bar.

FrostII, Budner and Xandra7 like this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

5. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

First when you quote me, quote at least the correct text. Second, if he could create a video of his screen showing us what he states is sooo dark he can not see anything. We could at least tell him that what he sees is normal or not. If he could post a screenshot also we can see how it renders on our screens.

6. james32401

james32401 Avatar

I don't feel this a tech issue but rather an enjoyment one. It's simply too dark too much of the time, green screen is unpleasant, i duel wield
    Imo give us a toggle

Tamsen, FrostII and Budner like this.
  7. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

i really hate that night in game myself... this is because of one reason, people always remember the bad things more than the good things. The good things being the day and a clear view, if you have 50% nighttime and 50% sun time, the night will win. Its why it should be 40% night for 60% day.

Nightvision should also be used for in game stuff like puzzle or something. If you use nightvision in the rise in the green wall labyrinth you can see the wall visible and find the way easier (This is an example). Someone who cast that all day long to see... that is a serious problem imo. That come to ask ourself the question why are people doing that? is it because of screen colors affecting people eyes, or is it because people get less lag being in nightvision than having a fully colored screen? Or just because night time is so annoying that it should just be changed. I think all 3 anwsers could actually be correct, and this is why night time should be reduced.

Budner and james32401 like this.
  8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Years ago, due to the Mac unity Uber darkness, I bought a windows gaming laptop and stopped playing all of my games on the Mac.

Elwyn likes this.
  9. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I am a fan of the night effects as they are but admit that it can appear different to each person playing the game.
    Perhaps a software controlled calibration screen during installation/setup which would allow a player to adjust the light level for this game and store the settings so that they take effect each time they play.

10. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

I’m with you, I love the dark, just not the way the light spell works. Blocks my view and it’s annoying as hell. One solution I found for mining or caves/tunnels is to craft/buy a mining helmet. Solves the problem totally and I still get my plate armor bonus. In fact my mining helmet is meteoric +6!

11. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

As a mage I never considered wearing a plate helm, but I'll try to get my hands on one and test it out.

12. smack

smack Avatar

Since we're flogging the dead horse....

I want eternal darkness. I want monsters to be 100x more powerful at night -- and perhaps unique creatures only spawn at night. The nights should be scary and cause you to think twice about leaving town after dusk. :D

So yeah, I hate the artificially shortened night cycles. I hate that midnight is a bright pink sky. I have to play this game with shades on. :cool:

But sure, I'd agree that the torch / light ball range could be extended.

And I know this request has been made many times before: we need a gamma setting with one of those "adjust until you can barely see this image" thingy so everything is normalized. Everyone's setup is different and could cause the very same scene being too dark or too bright for different folks. @Chris

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Whether you realize it or not you're implying that this issue is primarily one of people's opinion. For if this were a real game play issue effecting a majority, those of us who have been here all this time would've been experiencing the same problem and would've scream bloody blue murder the entire time to get it fixed. Which, didn't happen.

Of course, the influx of new players is going to bring up old topics. That doesn't change the nature of the topic.

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

All I can say is.. haven't seen a "lot" of complaining about it but that is neither here nor there. Still not seeing any issue in the game itself, nor in that video that was posted and I tend to spend a lot of time in dark places. In fact, some of those areas are so well lit I don't feel the need to do anything about it. If I need to, I do something so that I can see.. and it works. Whether it's a torch, spell or in Bowen's case I have a light enchantment on my armor. I get by no problem.

So whatever problem you perceive is not a universal one. Now, I'm not saying there aren't other factors as previously mentioned. Could be someone's monitor.. could be video drivers? Could be different things for different people.. Could just be your personal preference. Some people just don't like the dark. Nothing wrong with that. But there's plenty already that's been done in-game to compensate for night time and dark areas. Line needs to be drawn somewhere.

Spoon, Alley Oop and Feeyo like this.
  15. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

Sounds like that game Mortal. You were kinda stupid to go out of town after dark :)

Bigg likes this.
  16. Thief

Thief Avatar

I played the game for 2 years on night vision. I am sure devs did not want that :(.

james32401, majoria70 and FrostII like this.
  17. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

What's funny is part of the streamer incentive program is port requests you not to use night vision too much while streaming.

18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Exactly !

@Bowen Bloodgood

Would you be against players being able to toggle OFF these stupid dark nights, while allowing those who love the immersion of darkness to remain immersed ?
    If so, could you explain how the option would effect your game-play ?

james32401 and Budner like this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

One could make the argument of some small PvP advantage.. ie being able to see in the dark without having to cast spells or taking up a weapon/shield slot. Not breaking stealth by casting a light or night vision spell etc.

It's not a question of how it would effect one individual's game play. But it's potential effect on a larger group.

That said however, I'm not sure I would really care. I simply question the need and how far devs should go to appease players in matters of individual preferences.

For those whom have a real technical issue of course that should be addressed, and I'm not saying those folks don't exist. It's just when you mix them together they make it sound like a larger issue than perhaps it really is.

Alley Oop and Bigg like this.
  20. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

How about an obsidian potion or an artifact?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.