too much night/dark

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by james32401, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

One could, if one were seriously reaching.......

How would having the ability to either have or have not these dark nights effect a larger group ?
    And what larger group would mind it if I (personally) didn't enjoy poking around in the dark like they do ?

Budner likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Don't know if anyone would have an issue with that. We have light enchantments for armor now. Those would be of the same vein.

Did I already not state that I don't particularly care? I just threw out a potential argument as an example since you asked. If you want to argue about it then ask someone who actually does care.

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I don't want to argue about it, but rather understand what larger group you were referring to - that would be effected by an optional toggle.
    Sorry if you took that to be argumentative ........

Budner likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I was generalizing a bit. The point I was trying to get at was there are usually broader implications to changes that go beyond individual preference. Though I am happy to leave those details to the devs.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Moon bonuses work during the day too. The only requirement is that the moon be above the horizon.

Jaesun likes this.
  6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

That is good to know. My whole post was a funny what if type where we transform into a different game.

Does anyone know the name of the other video game my prior post is mentioning in clues (the one that Barugon quoted from)? And what system(s) can you play it on?

7. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I would object strong against removing moon magic tree........ for very personal reasons so to say..

8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

That is good to know. My whole post was a funny what if type where we transform into a different game.

Does anyone know the name of the other video game my prior post is mentioning in clues (the one that Barugon quoted from)? And what system(s) can you play it on?

9. Sylence

Sylence Avatar

There are so many celestial night objects that ought to reflect light at night that the pallet brightness could be turned way way up and cure this issue in a positive way.

Right now, night cycle is only good for the meteor showers. I also hate getting all ready to go do something then finding I have just two mandrake, and then night cycle hits. I log out and go have lunch since all the vendors are gone for 30 minutes. Video games emersion isn't about realism - that's just not true. Night vision ruins the cool graphics turning everything green. Less night, or turn up the palette brightness at least.

10. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

If you lightly hint on items breaking, I am all for it.
    Or we get everquest or wow where everyone runs around in godly gear because it never breaks and there is no choice between using up that super artefact or better use the simple bow for hunting deer. Aside from that devs are 24/7 busy making more godly gear so people have resaons to go and hunt for it.

I consider already the artefacts an big no no.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
    Xandra7 likes this.
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Sorry, not letting players adjust the game to where they actually have visibility because of some pvp advantage is the same argument as not letting people hide helmets because it gives the pvp opponent a potential advantage of knowing what type of armor someone is wearing on their head so they can plan this into their tactics even though they could find this out by inspecting anyway....its really just borderline pedantic. I have struggled with the game being too dark on max settings since the beginning, I have to use a third party program when I play to jack up the screen brightness because despite monitor and game setting at max, I walk into walls at nighttime. At dusk, I can still sort-of see, but its not a pleasant experience and probably not good for my eyesight. I don't really see any legitimate reason to not let players adjust this.

james32401, Xandra7, Budner and 3 others like this.
  12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Then get thee to a skeleton encounter, there's usually 5 mandrake and 5 nightshade plants to harvest right there around the skeletons, and you can get a few free silver or gold ores too.

Jaesun likes this.
  13. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Seeing this thread…some weeks ago I had to buy a new monitor, placed him out of the box on my table and started some time later to play SotA…what should I say SotA was unbelievable dark at night compared to my previous experiences…I changed nothing but the monitor and was suddenly sitting in the dark. But it wasn’t just SotA that was much darker also most other games offered me an unexpected gloominess in darker sections.
    It took some time until I found a working monitor setting that wasn’t blinding while opening a web site and still bright enough to view in darker scene without turning black into grey. This included searches in the web and multiple adjustments in trial an error and not just turning brightness up as all monitors should have at least 5 settings (brightness, contrast, red, green, blue).
    SotA and other games are still a little darker as they were with my previous monitor but I’m fine with the current setting.
    After that experience I’m quite sure that it is reasonable that the darkness of SotA isn’t the problem but the standard values of monitors and I think most are not aware of it as many games offering a brightness-adjustment that seems to be just there to counter the “odd” standard monitor settings. That way I would suggest that everyone who has problems with darkness should first search the web for “better than standard” settings for their monitors….but be aware that some of your games might look different after choosing a better monitor setting. ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Elwyn, Alley Oop and Olthadir like this.
  14. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Just change your colorspace to YCbCr444 to fix that darkness.

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Give us a toggle for dark nights, and nobody will have to frack around with their settings.......
    That would put an end to discussions like this.

16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

My monitor is calibrated and SotA is the only game that gets too dark for me even during the day. I have to turn in-game brightness all the way up and turn shadows off, otherwise I can‘t see mobs in shady areas in the middle of the day. and even then I turn on Night Vision. This diminishes my in-game enjoyment because I love the graphics when I can see them clearly.

Regarding night darkness, since I discovered Night Vision, I can see at night better than during the day without the spell. I would much prefer to use a light spell to light up the immediate area, but currently the reach of the light spell is insufficient and the spell‘s ball of light obstructs my view. Also when the devs introduced all the sparkly spell effects of buffs, they completely blinded me at night using the light spell.

On a separate but related note, I have found that using Night Vision even during the day solves my problem of being blinded by fire spells. If I am using Immolation or Ring of Fire, the flames obstruct my view to the extent that I often keep hacking at dead foes because I can‘t see them and don‘t know they‘re dead already. With Night Vision turned on I don‘t have that problem.

Elwyn, Xandra7, 2112Starman and 3 others like this.
  17. Lakmir84

Lakmir84 Avatar

Hello

Also in my opinion the night is too dark.
    I use night vision and sometimes I also forget to remove it when it is morning time.

I lose half day seeing everything in “green”

FrostII, james32401, Xandra7 and 2 others like this.
  18. Tulmar the Barbarian

Tulmar the Barbarian Avatar

It is not possible for me to read all comments, but from my first experience in the game I believe that the night in general should be less Dark.
    I understand that the night in the “real world” is completely dark and in some Hours you can not see anything... but in my opinion this is a game and i find not so confortable look at the monitor completely dark having only a small light from a torch or a spell. Even the night spell ruin a little bit the gaming experience with the green color.

You have created a game with so beautiful colors...
    My suggestion would be to reduce the night time and to make it less dark.. at the same time instead of having the spell that shows all “green”, you could simply reduce a little bit the darkness when using it.

This is my personal opinion.

19. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I wonder what graphics card you have. Maybe we can filter this to be a specific graphics card issue?

Synergy Blaize and Alley Oop like this.
  20. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GPU RAM: 6081

Feeyo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.