Sieges

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Humbert_Humbert, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

The problem is it is just simply not rewarding and it gets old very quick.
    I don't really feel like killing cabalits every day for weeks to maybe find something, it feels like a waste of time.
    Same counts for nearly all other bosses.

IMO, this is a very bad and boring game design.
    Now ofc. since you can kill any boss over and over again it shouldn't drop awesome stuff every single time.
    But after killing 40+ Dragons in a row with no recipe or artifact drop it just really feels wrong.

There are better systems out there for loot distribution.
    There are a lot of other mmos where you really feel getting rewarded for your time.
    But in SotA the time just feels wasted.
    I am falling asleep when farming bosses by now... even mining is a lot more interesting than that o_O

Even in UO the loot was better with random "unidentified" drops.
    In UO i didn't had to kill 40+ Ancient Dragons in a row to maybe find something.
    More like just 3 or 4.

The complete boss & loot mechanic in SotA currently is really just bad & boring.
    If people enjoy killing hundreds of bosses in 1 week to maybe find a couple of things, then great for them.
    But the mage room in The Rise is way more rewarding than any boss currently in the game.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Gorthyn likes this.
  2. Numa

Numa Avatar

We recently tried to lift the siege around Bladewyke. There were 4 of us - the strongest was level 96 and the weakest at level 50+. Our party took out all engineers and their defenders with little problem. Then Avara came and he wiped us out in under 2-3 minutes.

There is simply no comparison.

Almar and Time Lord like this.
  3. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Avara is super easy with an archer. Just run around in circles and shoot. Don't use focus. But more to the point, after dieing multiple times, once you do figure the cabalist out it would be nice to get a proper reward. Splitting 20 gold and a mandrake is crazy.

Almar, Nikko, Hornpipe and 2 others like this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Are you talking about the cabalists? The bosses of the sieges? Yeah, there's at least one that will chew up your armor (even when he wasn't doing much HP damage to me), but they're not meant to be taken on by just anyone.

I don't do sieges for anything having to do with NPCs, I just get swarmed and pin-cushioned when I try to kill an engineer, and he re-spawns soon after anyhow. (but I will loot the dead cultists that I pass by)

Remember that thing you click on when the game starts? That's because much of what is in the game right now is a place-holder. Just because it's been that way for months doesn't mean that's the way the devs want it to be. They more likely just have a hundred other more important things to work on.

5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Yeah, I think it was Avara that wrecked my armor that day. Not sure why he wasn't doing damage to me, but I think the "siege is lifted" message had shown up, so maybe the astro stuff ended and it made his attacks super weak. I barely finished killing him before the instance closed. But I got my ten gold!

RIght now I think the "regular" mobs are too hard only because they swarm me (and then all leash back at the same time), but the bosses are much harder and only the min-maxer types solo them. There is certainly no expectation of low-level players taking them on.

Time Lord and Numa like this.
  6. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Corpus destroys armor, Avara damages you 5 points per one point of focus spent.

7. Numa

Numa Avatar

re Avara does this include healing yourself or your teammates?

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Yup. Any focus spent. I literary just use my Fleet Flute or wolf potion and run in circles free attacking.

Nikko and Numa like this.
  9. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Purify removes Avara's curse long enough for you to use any attack. Unlike some of the other siege bosses, he only reapplies his curse every 45 secs I think it was when I was fighting him. That's enough time to do serious damage to him..

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  10. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I heard that worked but I use the same methods for all but Temna.

11. Numa

Numa Avatar

@bigta1982, @Chrystoph Reis - thank you for all the tips in countering Avara. None of us were happy about how that battle went; next time it won't be a one-sided fight.

Nikko and Time Lord like this.
  12. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

I've only done a few sieges and all (in a group), but I agree that loot should be looked at. Not saying rares drop each time, but maybe a loch bow or lich staff or something. Would be neat as a new skin to possibly get a pattern off of salvaging. But yea, loot doesn't feel different. I could go in a 2 or 3 skull zone and get the same drops faster, as I could take them down faster....but I dont, because that gets stale.

Gorthyn and Numa like this.
  13. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I found two, one in the Hills siege and one in the Forest siege - Acumen potion and rock maple crossbow stock.

14. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Problem with loot is that it's quite often all black or all white.

Killing one of the most fearful enemy of the living world (who commands an army and lead a siege) and getting 3 gold coins and 1 garlic from him is properly ridiculous. It's even worth than nothing. At least, they could loot a message "you're screwed" with those. Things would get more clear :D

We all agree that artifacts should stay rare but there is many things between the garlic and the cabalist hood including repair kits, food (do they even feed themselves ?), recipes, potions, gems, obsidian crowns, material for trophies...

Almar, Nikko, Numa and 2 others like this.
  15. rexmie

rexmie Avatar

You don't see a godfather carries a gun himself
    So does the boss who leads a fearful army :p

16. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Does the boss go into battle naked and with no weapons?

17. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Yeah, watch out for that. Avara snuck up behind me when I was leaving the scene and when I regenerated my focus going to the main map I took all that damage at once and died.

18. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Risk should always equal reward if you are going to make things worth while. They didn't tell Michael Phelps that only 2 gold medals dropped even though he placed first in 8 races. Having 3-4 cabbalists to defeat is much harder than 1-2 and having them all drop decent loot is not too much. These guys need a loot pass for sure, I'm not saying they should always drop top tier loot but they should be dropping at least equivalent to a Mountain Troll.

Moiseyev Trueden and Nikko like this.
  19. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Been a problem in the game since a very long time ago. In my opinion, if you get a group together to kill something like this, OR you spend the literally thousands of hours necessary to be able to solo/duo these, then you should be rewarded with some pretty nice loot. Consistently. I am not saying Cabalist gear in every success! Just that you should get like 100 reagents, and 3000 gold pieces or something. I understand that they are trying really hard to avoid the classic MMO inflation scenario, but if the game does not reward people for really hard content that is capable of killing those who are relatively high level, then people may leave the game... and the only thing worse than an inflated economy is a low player-base issue. This is a tough one to balance, but they CAN NOT let people leave en masse because they don't feel like their risk of death was worth it in boss fights.

Moiseyev Trueden, Aldo and Gorthyn like this.
  20. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

This is the one area of the game that certainly has always been weak. It is much improved since the earliest days of pre alpha, but i agree whole heartedly that the loot tables need to have a good look at them still. i hunt trolls all of the time because they have 'okay' loot. Still doesnt feel very epic on some of the big guys. I'll admit, its been disheartening to have a big battle end up with just awful loot.

Maybe once the player crafted stuff makes it into the economy that will improve. Dont know for sure.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.