Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

more reasons to leave the game

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by Gurney2, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Do you play melee in this game?

2. Almar

Almar Avatar

No, the 2x xp is for folks helping out on the test server, the rest is just an unprofessional mess.

By Tor, Chrystoph Reis and Cordelayne like this.
  3. Almar

Almar Avatar

Actually, I hope they extend the double XP into a week where the game is actually playable.

4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yep, 2H AXE. And to be honest, I am not having any problems killing tier5 mobs. And I am not even that high level ;)

5. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I am also 2H axe. Come with me to the Rise and lets see if that sentiment holds true, bring a caster for comparison. My in-game name is same...

Edit discord added: https://discord.gg/cWUSrkv

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    By Tor and Cordelayne like this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

To be honest, I have heard this argued over and over again in MMO/RPG's since the dawn of creation. I remember when rogues in Wow were so elite they could stun people to death in PvP before they could even move (I know, I was a warlock) so everyone and anyone played one to the eventual tune of 50% of characters were rogues. So WoW nurfed them and everyone screamed about nurfing. But, on the flip side as a Warlock, the "nurf" actually gave me a 50/50 fair shot at one.

So was the nurf good or bad... it depends on the person. Most rogues thought it was bad because they were no longer a diety and since 50% of the population was a rogue it was loud... But was it really wrong to do? The game wasnt world of Rogue craft (yet it was getting close)

ya, if you are in plate now in game, you no longer can stand around not taking damage from anything. Its been balance (maybe to far?). But Im pretty sure when I log my chain character in, I wont be so concerned.... but I was taking damage in everything I did so nothings new.

Elwyn, Budner, Olthadir and 1 other person like this.
  7. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Having worn plate from day one, this has NEVER been the case, do not judge plate wearers as a whole on a few min/maxers.

PS. All they needed to do was max damage mitigation, and this would have made way more sense. Instead they choose to undo the hardwork of the 99%. I've been playins since 2016 and my DR has never gone past 25%... go ahead devs... check it! I'm the norm!

Oyjord Hansen and By Tor like this.
  8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

In my experience, when something like this happens they are shifting around defensive buffs. I have had to do this several times in the past 6 months, radically changing my buffs... taking several from gm to nothing and new ones to GM. I find I always end up pretty even. Start balancing your buffs with parry, dodge, avoidance and damage resistance (and others such as are you casting fireflys to mitigate 80% of their crit hits?). Think about it, this is how it actually should properly be done.

It sounds like they just fixed Damage resistance. People who just focus purly on that and find math flaws due to compounding buffs (and yes, it was above 100% which was WRONG and fixed)

3 months ago this was the case with avoidance buffs. I used to cast 3 on myself and was untouchable, it was not right. They made it so you can only cast 2 at one time so I switched to different buffs like parry and I still do fine.

9. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Yet I don't want to play a caster... a classless game is supposed to allow you to play the way you want to, not force moon down my throat just because. Casters can kite, they can avoid, but melee's get their DR taken... hardly seems balanced, and far from allowing me to play the way I want to.

10. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

oddly we are not in agreeance with a few things.

1) I dont agree that casters are uber, in fact I think they are the weakest class right now and there really is no such thing as a toon that plays a pure caster without having a melee/archer component.
    2) This *IS* actually a case of the classless game system. You are actually purposing the class system by saying you want to be only a hard core tank. When in fact the classless system actually means you can be more tank orientated yet you you can actually still cast magic easily like heals, buffs and lighter magic spells (like fists with low fizzle). Example: If your stance is that "I want to be exactly like a warrior build in Wow" then thats just not reality and not how the game is designed, that game is WoW, not SOTA. This is not D&D and you cant compare archetypes between the two and if you chose to try to match a char like "I want to be a Paladin", yes you can do that in SOTA and function jsut fine, you are not going to have a great build.

Believe me, I know. I wanted my char to be like a DAOC Smite cleric but gave up on that pretty quick. I could function fine, but it was not the best build. This would put me in chain, life, air and bludge... not a great combo in SOTA (I had to drop air).

My build is the pure example of a classless build

I am a hard core archer, life mage that wears chain. How off of the norm is that build?

Im not forced into moon magic, in fact, I can chose any number of buffs that I want.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Ryodin Stormwind likes this.
  12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

There is plenty of stuff outta balance, imop the sooner we can get all the balance stuff done the better @Chris.

Small team, I know and get it.. keep up the hardwork.

Olthadir and Cordelayne like this.
  13. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Chris.... I completely agree that the Max DR hitting 100% was too much... Though i feel your DR values in the game need to be doubled. I've been saying this for a very long time. %DR is a great capping mechanic. Give us too much DR so when we do fight something that requires high DR like a dragon ... There is an extreame motivation to wear plate armor.

As is your incentive for heavy armor is only tied to the STR that it grants.

Elnoth and Brass Knuckles like this.
  14. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

From Chris's Blog

Clarification on Damage Absorptions since I've seen a handful of players raging about this. So reminder that this didn't used to be this high until just a couple releases ago. So while this number decreased, it is just slightly lower than it used to be.

Second important note, I should have added the two skills that grant damage absorption to the 100% unlearn return list. I will get that in for the second patch. First patch is already building and has some critical fixes in it for AE targeting, performance, Monkey room fix, and a few other items.

Third, lets go over the math of what damage absorption does. If you have 50 Damage Resistance and 150% Damage Absorption and you get get for 100 points of damage, it stops 50 points. On the other hand if you have 50 Damage Resistance and 50% Damage Absorptions it stops...50 points.

Damage absorption determines the max amount of a hit that can be stopped. So if you have 60% Absorption, at most, you can stop 60% of any hit but not more than your Damage Resistance. So damage stopped on a hit = Lesser of DamageAbsorption*AttackDamage and Damage resistance. So this means that you aren't stopping any less damage from big hits, just the little ones. Previously players could stand and let a pack of wolves or bears attack them and take no damage. That was broken and not intended and reported by a number of players as such.

Fourth, in PVP this HELPS melee types. Why? Because casters don't care about your damage resistance! However, caster were also able to get their absorption up super high and ignore a lot of hits. Most importantly, they were able to ignore rapid barrages of small hits, like Rapid Fire and quad slashes. This does open tanks up to more damage from ranged players but other than that it is either a wash or a benefit.

Fifth, yes, I need to do better at making fewer big swings in math. I had talked about this for a while but had said I would put a cap on Absorption. I decided against that because in my tests I found it was really easy to hit most caps with just leather or chain. That would be one more big reason to not wear plate.

Again, sorry for the thrashing but I strongly believe this is the best for the game. This is one I really wish I had caught before R52 but didn't because I have too many balls in the air.

15. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

@Chris

This is what I'm talking about.. add the CAPS to the armor type... cloth 50, leather 60, chain 70, plate 80... and as for damage absorption... 99% of your player base just said huh!? We don't see that stat anywhere, so all we are seeing is that we are now getting pasted.

By Tor, Deadly Habit and Cordelayne like this.
  16. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

It's honestly just not fun having to readjust builds and gear release to release with large balance changes especially since there is the penalization to the xp you grinded for hours when unlearning if it's not one of the skills with a temporary 100% return.
    Also having to lose xp due to decay testing out what these balance changes actually do to you in usual situations due to the lack of transparency in the math is just frustrating.
    All it does is push for discovering what the min/max build is and sticking with that (until that gets nerfed) not encourage a variety of play styles.

17. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

They fixed the bug and reduced DR cap on passives.
    [​IMG]

Cordelayne and 2112Starman like this.
  18. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

This right here should would be fine if all armor type build would be created properly. Problem is... this affects one type of armor wearer tanks. No caster in their right mind is going to raise up heavy armor skills and jeapordize their fizzle chance. So all this does is push all classes to wear same type of armor because heavy now does nothing but increase your fizzle chance.

Simple fix would have been:
    1) to cap DR by armor type...
    OR
    2) to remove DR bonuses from purely cater type skills , etc.

Remove DR bonuses from melee who do not use death shield etc, effectively neuters them. I couldn't believe how quick I almost died from 2 archers in the Rise. Mage with Death shield... *giggles*... I don't see the problem!

19. lishayw

lishayw Avatar

I love how when Chris destroys an entire play style or build with a change like this and he only wants to refund the XP for one skill, like that's going to somehow make it better. When all he would have to do change it to 100% everything to make us a little happier. All I can do is laugh at his PVP logic as very few mages have actual high DR and the fact they had High Max % makes zero difference as he explained. I doubt anyone playing a melee in PVP will even notice a difference with mages that had 10 to 30 DR still are going to be resisting 10-30 damage, archers might notice a small improvement with their already pathetic damage. All it is, is more proof that the Developers are too disconnected from the game and don't actually play it and their balancing changes are too heavy handed as a result. Another example of a tiny minority complaining with Developers showing favoritism and affecting the majority. Had 120% Max resist which was broken because you couldn't resist more than 100% anyway now I'm down to 67%, so nerfed by almost half. Yeah nothing to be upset over, I bet you if you nerfed mage damage by half they wouldn't complain either. Keep piling straw onto that camel and pounding nails into that coffin portal. Just more of no actual good reasons other than I feel it's the best course for the game. Spare us next time.

20. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

The truly sad part is I think most of us would be fine with 85%. I can rationally see his point and even agree that 100% passive DA is over the top. What I don't understand and find myself scratching my head about, is why did he whack it way down to 65%? I truly believe there is a happy medium and continue to hold out hope that they fix this.

By Tor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.