Defensive buffs, and R53

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nikko, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

This change probably came about from people talking about things being too easy!

2. Promiscuity

Promiscuity Avatar

Things feel like they die easier now even though I am a bit more squishy. I haven't had any problems doing what I did before. I've noticed that multiple mobs attacking is far more painful now versus 1-2 mobs that were doing bigger hits. I am not opposed to this change but it does keep you on your toes especially with multiple mobs.

edit... I will say the change hasn't prevented me from doing anything that I was doing previously, in fact some things feel a bit easier. just my humble opinion.

Waylorn and Bigg like this.
  3. Malum

Malum Avatar

Too drastic of a change, I'm getting completely destroyed by green mob swarms wearing full plate. What is the point of wearing heavy armor? I tried my light armor build and it was pretty close to the same effect.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, I guess people got used to being able to just completely ignore the lower-level mobs and now they'll have to actually employ some different tactics.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    kl4nk likes this.
  5. Malum

Malum Avatar

Well, if they're going to make a change like this, they might as well make the green mobs yellow again so at least you have some warning on why they are hitting hard on you, or they could just buff melee damage to be more on par with archery

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Melee does more damage per swing than ranged does per shot, as all melee skills hit multiple targets. Also, archers and mages have always had to employ some tactics to keep from being murdered by weapon wielding NPCs rather than just stand there.

7. Malum

Malum Avatar

Yeah, and one major tactic with group play is someone tanking, which it's effectiveness is questionable now.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It shouldn't make any difference against higher-level mobs.

9. Malum

Malum Avatar

Also this bug that messes up your health with crystal shield all the time is not helping AT ALL, the least they could of done is fix that first.

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Not true, but shows that your arguments for why this change is no big deal - lack insight.

Neltharios and By Tor like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, which melee skill; Swords, Bludgeon or Polearms; doesn't hit multiple targets?

12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Go look.

13. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I respectfully disagree Barugon. My "build" is that of a sword and board, plate wearing warrior whose whole purpose is to get into the thick of things and draw the battle to him. What tactics would you have me use? Rolling? Jumping/Running around? Intuitively this makes no sense. What plate wearing knight/warrior, unhorsed, could implement "tactics" other than fighting that which is right in front of him? Remember, Medieval battles lasted for little more than an hour or so, due to how exhausting it was. For example, the Battle of Hastings lasted all day and is considered one of the longest of all the Middle Ages: http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and-heritage/military-history/pre-20th-century-conflict/tra22820

I guess my point is, I think it is a bit myopic to state, "employ some tactics" when in reality we were. We just weren't employing the tactics of an archer or caster. Now, I have little choice but change my entire play style which completely takes away from the role-playing elements of the game for me. Once again, in order to be viable I have to skill up x,y,z which, as we have seen before, make us all relatively similar in our builds.

Nikko, EclipseMaiden, Malum and 2 others like this.
  14. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

According to @Chris it shouldn't. But I'm seeing something different. I'm getting decimated in places like The Rise and even lower level stuff like Crag Foothills, where I breezed through that stuff before. It seems like the defensive buff skills (Fortify Defenses, Parry, Defensive Stance, Glancing Blow) aren't nearly as effective anymore even against high-end mobs. Not sure what changed there...

15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What little I did play this morning (as I stated in the other thread), I discovered that the exact same adventure area Tier 4, and using the exact same skills (i.e. Glancing Blow 5, Parry 5 etc...), the area went from manageable to extremely dangerous. DR was always a bit wacky anyways and did need to be looked at, But it is a bit troubling to see such a gigantic change.

Nikko, FrostII, By Tor and 1 other person like this.
  16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

After a previous change to max resist, it was possible to get max resist to 100% even in mixed gear due to a high base amount and two passive skills. This was over the top silly and needed to be toned down.

That being said, the pendulum swang way too far the other way. Before the previous change, in heavy armor with good passives you'd expect to see between 75-80% "max" (talking gm level deflection/symapthy of stone). It was like that almost since day 1, until something went hinky in 52. That value felt right and reasonable for an invested plate-wearer.

Before R53, I had 100% max resist. This was silly and overpowered. After R53 in same skills/gear, I have 51%. That seems like far too big a leap. Realistically, I think this should be somewhere in the middle around 75% if you GM both passives and wear heavy armor.

It just needs to go back to where it was before the LAST change that made it op.
    It doesn't need to be considerably weaker than it was. @Chris

17. Renekon

Renekon Avatar

you probably are not play plate armor so its easy for you to say

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes.

19. Bigg

Bigg Avatar

Maybe they should keep the cut on skills but do an overall pass on the mitigation granted by cloth, leather, chain, and plate off pieces (helm, gloves, pants, boots) so that respectably resembles what each of those pieces would grant you in terms of protection.
    Maybe like full cloth can hit upwards of 40%, leather coming in at 55%, chain around 70% and full plate being 85% so you’re still free to mix and match heavy chests with lighter off pieces to cut down on fizzle rate but it will come with a mitigation cost as opposed to someone in straight plate barely throwing any spells around. Just a thought that I’m sure has already been thought of :(

20. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Make it part of the components that go into crafting them too. That opens the door for new high-end loot components that could conceivable raise this even further to like 90%.

Nikko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.