Defensive buffs, and R53

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nikko, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Werefox

Werefox Avatar

As a player and someone who has done some game design my recommendation would be to split the DR system into two parts. The first part is the 'Base' DR being the damage absorbed and the second part being a 'Percentage' I think the most effective way DR would operate is that any attack would have the damage placed against the Base and Percentages separately and which ever gave the lower result would be the effective damage taken. This would have Plate armor with say 30 DR and 50% to be highly effective against weak mobs and useful one stronger threats and at the same time Cloth and Leather sets would have a matching effectiveness for their type. I've seen most cloth sets sit round 8-10 DR and 6-8% damage in most cases. Leathers running the 13-18 DR and 14-25% and now plate with 25 DR not around 50% effective. Combat wise a 30 point attack on a plate wearer would do about 5 points where a 100 point would do around 50. On a cloth wearing player the same attacks would be 20 points and 92 points. Leather of course then being 12-18 damage for the low attack and 75- 86 for the 100 point one. Throw in chain mail sets between Leather and Plate since they would fall in the range between the Leather and plate and you have a more functional combat effect that would be more accurate for the expected protections. Give a DR amount then saying that you only get 50% of that DR value is more than a little non-intuitive. Placing a functional percentage of the DR score make all the armor types flawed shifting combat systems to avoidance numbers now so dodge in light armor sets will be the 'new' tanking system. After all if I can get 80% change to avoid an attack that I take OR I get at best only half my DR rating I'd be better served with the avoidance since it has the higher change at mitigating the damage. Yes one hit would be more impactful but the chance of being hit would be unlikely compared to the plate wearing person. 80% avoidance to with luck 15%. Let's not forget as well as mentioned by others the inability to resist magic/poisons. Now if the Dev's can make this sort of split function is something in programming systems but it would most likely be the best balance in my opinion.

K1000 likes this.
  2. layPT

layPT Avatar

Does this mean the game got harder? Might jump back on if that's the case, the constant pwning got me bored of the game.

Steevodeevo and Ravenscar like this.
  3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The problem is that even trivial content now got risky. In a game that has the most seriously overblown death penalty in any game I've played in the last 15 years ,making changes that are going to result in players getting killed more easily is counterintuitive. If you want to make the game harder, fine, but combining this with a many-hours-setback-death-penalty schema is a formula for frustration and failure. Many high level players were already extremely cautious about doing anything remotely difficult due to the huge cost of death, and now with the significant defensive nerf, risk just got riskier and honestly if it weren't for the double xp on at the moment I doubt I'd even be trying to play. At least with the double I can recoup back a death in less time.

Nikko, K1000, Retro and 4 others like this.
  4. Sephros

Sephros Avatar

This is hilarious.

So glad I never , ever wore full plate, never had 100% max, and learned how to play the game. The game is literally unchanged for me

5. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

As someone who has been full plate since before persistence you sir are talking straight out of your backside for the sake of being a troll.....the 100% resist thing has only been in for 2 releases and as some have pointed out in this thread and others this nerf (oh I'm sorry "bug fix") brought things to a level below what it was before so yeah some people may have gotten a little spoiled in the last 2 releases but that doesn't excuse making plate(which already had major disadvantages compared to a leather/chain combo that made people near godly) worse than it was in the FIFTY releases before

Nikko, K1000, Retro and 5 others like this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Amazed that we are actually "released" and so much is broken.
    Just tonight:
    Horticulture watering plants is broken.
    Walls/floors are missing in my row house.
    Fire doesn't work well.
    Wherever I turn, something else is broken....
    Somebody best get busy documenting this code to make "fixes" easier.....

7. Sephros

Sephros Avatar

Which part of my post do think I'm lying about? The part about me never wearing full plate? Maybe the game is unchanged for me? I'm curious.

I take it back, the game has changed slightly for me. The walls in my house have disappeared

8. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

Never said you lied said you were being an uninformed troll by implying that plate wearers don't know "how to play the game"

Ryodin Stormwind and Retro like this.
  9. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

10. Sephros

Sephros Avatar

Talking out of my backside, lying, same same.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Not really.... more like misinformed (to be kind). :cool:

DAKelam1 likes this.
  12. Almar

Almar Avatar

Yes, glad all is well for you, we'll cope eventually. Just run along now....

13. The Thunderwolf

The Thunderwolf Avatar

Since the patch I am thinking of going full magic or quit the game... But I really enjoyed my heavy armor bludgeon build...

K1000 and Cordelayne like this.
  14. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Yeah it's pretty asinine to suggest that heavy armor wearing tanks didn't know how to play the game. Perhaps you don't realize this because you aren't a tank, but the whole point of a tank is to stand in one spot and act as a TANK taking on all the foes so you can sit back like a glass cannon and burn them down.

This change has made it extremely difficult to be an effective tank, but I have faith that Portalarium will make it right.

Nikko, K1000 and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I think according to Chris' Work Blog they are already making a fix. If this works and gets DR up to 80%, I am more than satisfied. Of course all this "SotA Math" makes me scratch my head, so who knows! See below:

"So after spending several hours playing on my alt and talking to people last night, I'm softening the damage absorption a bit and adding the hard cap I had originally planned on having. So absorption for skills will go up about 50% and from armor will go up about 15% from the current numbers, this will give high end players a number closer to 80%. Then there will be a hard cap at 80%. No, we're not going back to 100%."

Nikko and K1000 like this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It happened when everyone was given a base damage absorbtion of 30% naked.

It added to the already 80ish % people were achieving with plate armor and was likely not intendes. This happened about 2 months ago

Nikko, StrangerDiamond and Cordelayne like this.
  17. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Seems more reasonable. We will see how it goes.

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Chris likes this.
  19. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

You're playing as an archer, killing mages. Not sure what that has to do with the topic here, as you are neither using heavy armor, nor fighting monsters that use physical damage.

Nikko, Almar and Cordelayne like this.
  20. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

So a few reminders, "Trivial" content still gives you rewards. Let me know if you want me to do what other games do and make it give zero XP and zero loot and then we can consider making "Trivial" content pose no risk.

Target has been 80% damage reduction for a while. The numbers I had were targeted at that as a max achievable value with a little more room to grow before you hit 80%. I bumped up skills and armor absorption for the next patch and added a hard cap of 80%. This means that if there is much inflation in stats or gear beyond current values, it just have them bumping against that cap. Not desirable but we can deal with that when we get closer to it being a problem.

Oakenhammer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.