Guide to becoming an epic swordswoman

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Sara Dreygon, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I don't cast any magic. Kind of a self-imposed rule to keep things interesting. When solo I just kill things fast and retreat when needed.

2. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Curious why you dont use sneak attack @Sara Dreygon? I find it to have great damage, even when not stealthed (meaning only when I am behind the target.) Works great right after a body slam, i quickly move behind the opponent for a sneak attack or two (in pve at least.)

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  3. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I used to and meant to put that other option for use in the sneak attack writeup. Short story is my blades are very high now so some other skills have passed sneak attack up in damage.

Innascual Inch likes this.
  4. Valdor Dragonlord

Valdor Dragonlord Avatar

great guide @Sara Dreygon thank you very much, one question, when we first met in game almost a year ago, you gave me a lot of advices and made a 2h build/deck, is that still viable? or I should start swap and invest xp on shields/dual wield as raccomended in the guide?

Vaiden Luro and Sara Dreygon like this.
  5. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Thanks. Two-handed is still good but duel wield is great. The combination of enchantments and masterworks on two weapons instead of just the one makes up for the damage and it is much cheaper for focus due to offhand. The XP cost is higher as it adds three offhand skills but the ability to switch out your offhand sword for a shield when needed is handy so higher flexibility, too.

Kaeen, Lightfinger, FrostII and 4 others like this.
  6. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Thank you Sara, awesome guide!

How is this not stickied yet? @Berek, please consider.

Sara Dreygon and Berek like this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

YA, I got the wrong build lol. I killed a good hundred reapers with on Sat/Sun with archery and it takes me a while to kill it. Not really that challenging, just takes a while to plink it down with my bow.

Some higher level swordsmen ran up and dropped the thing in like 10 seconds and I about pooped my pants.

Consider I have 115 in the main archer skill, 90 in its specialization and 105 in the others.

On the flip side, I did put on light armor (with skills raising between like 40-60 lol) and a lower end bow to not eat up my good one so that does factor in.

I also know that by the time I get to GM swords, Chris will see that I have and will nurf it like he seems to do.

Duke Olahorand and Sara Dreygon like this.
  8. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Back to the basics...

Diab Blackbow likes this.
  9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

ya... showing the stats of a 1% player with 140 points into ranging skills does very little to prove a point. That dude has more xp in the difference between his archery skills over mine then I have on my whole toon. Put a compatible stat'ed swordsmen with similar XP skills in swords up against them and throw them in a PvP ring (hint: Splat goes the archer).

Sara Dreygon and Witcheypoo like this.
  10. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I will agree with the splat. But I was AL105 in that video. Far from 1% I would say and I bet you are about the same level.

Also, I was only 135 Ranged. The jump from 135 to 140 is the big one.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Sara Dreygon and Kpopgurl like this.
  11. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Most people play their archers wrong. They are not supposed to stand in and arena and shoot at melees :) Capitalize on the range. Use stealth. Own the battlefield. Stacking skills is really strong for archers. Most areas allow for taking the higher ground too.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Stickied!

13. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Seems like meteoric might be better for 2hander, but bronze for 1handers are probably still worth it. If you are using specialized berserker stance crits are a lot more valuable. that formula also means the higher your crit chance is to start with, the more the bronze materials make a difference.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Kaeen, Sara Dreygon and Vaiden Luro like this.
  14. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Saw this isn't stickied anymore so bumping for new players.

15. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Sara; I am glad you re-opened the thread. I have three questions on additional training and battle tactics.

1) On training; almost there on track for 150 blades and 140 thrust, how far do I take double slash since I specced blades and tactics? I left rend at 100 due to a lot of undead in my grinds & UT.

2) With body slam being my opening move is it still worth it to hit from behind while the mob is stunned.

3) What is your recommended strength to Dex ratio? Both for PVE and PVP. I have been more concerned with Strength and with buffs keep it over 200 while dex stays in the 80s. I normally use chain armor to ease attunement training of all magic schools.

Thanks in advance for your advice that kept me from giving up on swords almost a year ago. R/Boris/El Pirata.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  16. Nog

Nog Avatar

Isn't it also the case that if you aren't running in a group that you won't be backstabbing anything in solo mode, as the AI keeps enemies diligently facing you? (except maybe with Body Slam...or in my case Trip since I have a light armor build, barring Body Slam for me).

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  17. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Some melee mobs have an attack where they will recover slowly and allow you to get behind them and get in a quick shot or two. Its not every attack but I like to take advantage when it happens and get the extra damage as well as preventing many of their defenses from coming into play.

Sara Dreygon and Nog like this.
  18. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

If you boost it to 101 you'll get another damage tick.

Kain Darkmoor and Sara Dreygon like this.
  19. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Might just do that for shits and giggles. I can see rend being useful against bosses or PVP in the future. I used Sneak Attack until the damage from it even with backstab at 99 was less than with Thrust at almost 140. Found it useful only when I used body slam and sneak locked at 1 and 2 then augmented 3 with thrust x6, offhand x6 and double slash x3. My objective is to stun it and kill it before it comes out of body slam stun. R/Boris/El Pirata

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  20. golruul

golruul Avatar

Sara would you mind adding commentary/analysis on (blade) combos to the guide? I'm particularly interested in knowing if quadruple slash is worth doing over separate slash+double thrust.

Vaiden Luro and Sara Dreygon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.