Create Moongates already!

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Hurricane, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

I get it, You guys want regional markets within the land however this system using a friends list and teleporting is one of the most ridiculous mechanics I have ever seen.

I don't care if it consumes a scroll or a 50gp traveling fee to use it but
    this game is rough enough and traveling to one loading screen to another is not immersive or fun.

You could place a moongate in every region on the overland map so we can port from region to region, make it cost a teleport scroll and make it only usable for adventure level say 20 or 30 so the new people can get to know the area they spawn in a bit before traveling outward.

This will maintain your regional separation and give us a quality of life perk other than rune books I know people are asking for.

get on it!
    thank you

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  2. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

3. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

This is to funny.

So they put in a system and make it so you have to what, leave the game and check the "lunar phase" because the locations change?

I just finished reading a post about if people are using them and most of the players say they don't or at least the majority appear to not bother on account of the overly complicated function.

They really need to re-think land travel for this game, put moongates on the overland map to any region you choose and be done with it.

4. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I disagree, I think we should sit back and wait for economies to develop. There hasnt been enough time since release.

Also, it only takes about 3-4 mins (IRL-time, when unburdened) to walk from one side of the continent to the other, and loading screens can be avoided.

I like the current teleport/recall/moongate/underground-tunnel/walk-overland system.

If were going to keep asking for runebooks "cuz UO," then please also include full open PVP with the red/blue system :)

5. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

.. and don't forget to split Novia in TramOvia and FelOvia :)

Black Tortoise likes this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Overly complicated? There's eight locations. It changes with the moon phase, every ten minutes. If that's too hard, well, then you need another hand to hold the hand that's holding your hand.

That said, I do like the idea of moongates on the overland map.

7. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Lose the teleport and recall scrolls. And remove "Start on World Map" which allows one direction bypassing of control points. Now we can have the regional economy that was first envisioned.

Bambino and Bow Vale like this.
  8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

That was Trammucca. :)

9. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

I like the idea of the moon gates/lunar rifts and agree there should be more of them, however the slow time it takes them to change target location compared with how quickly you can transverse the overland map makes no sense and need reappraising if they are to genuinely be a useful alternative to the friend teleport system which really does need replacing imho.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  10. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

relax, no one is asking for hand holding. the Overly complicated bit meant that you have to know what phase it's in to know what location it will take you to, and then show up at the right time so it's pointing the direction you wish to go... if not you could wait up to 70 min but fear not you can break any immersion and check a website to watch the timers, oh boy what fun that must be.

Just think how happy the player base would be with a one moongate in each region to use. It doesn't need a story or goofy mechanics, you step to it like any other town that asks you what entrance you want to enter but this would give you options for other moongate locations only, the mechanics for this system already exist.

Nog likes this.
  11. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I don't use lunar rifts much unless I happen to be in a scene with one and it's pointing towards an area I want to go next.

I might use them more often if they were set up where you could just choose a specific end location regardless of time... but you can't, so I don't use them much.

However, it doesn't take that long to just run across the world map to get wherever I want to go and even faster if I have a friend in the area to teleport to or just recall to if it's near my bind spot.

Witcheypoo and Sentinel2 like this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Moongates are beautiful truly but I agree they are a failure for this game the way they are set up. Friends lists work for now and I don't see them going away, but of course no one thought this would be our system and I don't think the devs have time to deal with them atm since it would be a larger undertaking to make friend travel obsolete or not the main fast travel, but what do I know.

I also do get kind of tired of the economy conversation and how bad it is. I don't mind how it is, but of course that is not my thing. I am not interested in micromanaging it. Well you could try to sell something else but I guess if you are an armorsmith you want to sell armor and too bad we can make even that more creative. There are many ways to make gold in this game if you are creative.

We don't have a trade system at this time to make getting resources to market need planning it out. We don't have trade vendors or trade caravans that have to dangerously travel from one point to another to make us not want fast travel or short walks sometimes. I feel like travel and the trade system is not completed yet, it is just a make do and play the game. Not saying don't have great ideas and I do agree with the OP and others that moongates not a totally useful system. Who uses them except rarely if you happen to pass by one and want to see if they are possibly going your way ;) or if a quest makes you use it ;)? Sorry I am rambling I think but just some thoughts ;)

edited

Cordelayne, Budner and Sentinel2 like this.
  13. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Well its not that complicated, it jumps to the next one in a clockwise direction, but yeah you dont know where it is when you get there, which incidentaly was how the moongates in Uo used to work before Ea made them easy mode ;)

What we do need however is runes and runebooks, instead of the mobile runebook we have now aka the friend list.

Witcheypoo and Budner like this.
  14. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

I'm down with the idea of runebooks but, I think moongates are doable with the mechanics and systems that are already within the game.

I remember the UO moongates and it was a good idea that EA made them the way they did, not many good ideas come from EA but... lol

Nothing like popping out the Yew fel moongate to get your pvp on with BC! lol

Budner likes this.
  15. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I look at a lot of factors when I'm going somewhere.

1. Am I in a hurry? Friends list: is someone near where I want to go? Teleport
    2. Am I in a hurry and is my recall location near where I want to go? Recall
    3. Am I sort of in a hurry? Moongate: Is it exiting to a city near where I want to go? Then head to the nearest rift, and jump!
    4. Am I not in a hurry? Enter a scene, pop sprint and berserker stance, and exit, then head to where I am going, repeating this as necessary for intervening scenes.
      • Intervening scenes: Spend some time collecting things along the route through. Is it night time? Eastreach pass is one place I frequently have to stroll through, and the mandrake and nightshade make a quick 100-200 gold depending on meticulous gathering.
      • Is it night time? "Accidentally" bump into some skeleton encounters along the way as well, for same reason as Eastreach. There's usually about 5 each of nightshade and mandrake, and then you have the near-dozen skeletons, and about 4-5 trees and cotton bushes, and 7-8 ore nodes. All told, a a 15 minute stroll through this scene nets me just shy of 1000 gold, especially now that the skeletons have more loot on them than they used to.
      • Is it any time? Bandits are a fun alternative to skeletons, and have the chest instead of the reagents. Total yield is a little less because of it, but not by much.
    Your mileage may differ, but for me, its about the trip, and finding ways to make the system I have to work with work for me instead of annoy me.

Vyrin, Alioth, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  16. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

adding a moongate system would not interfere with any of the above.

17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It's not random. The top of your screen tells you what phase the moon is in. It takes like, thirty seconds to write down what phase corresponds to which location. After that, it's very easy to always know where the rift will take you at any moment. The problem is more that they exist at all.

18. Floors

Floors Avatar

You don't have to leave the game if you have multiple monitors :)

Anyway - I know travel is kind of annoying at first, but you get used to it. Also loading screens, I'm used to it by now. At least they rotate now and have tips.

I do think moongates should be more useful and prominent (and perhaps on overhead map) tho....(sorry not calling them lunar rifts, if I could hack the game to get real moongate animation I would :)

In the old games, (not sure about UO) waiting for and going to moongates was an essential way to get around, it just feels like an afterthought there.

You know what would really be cool - moongates in housing zones. It gives people a reason to go to those towns, see alternate vendors and travel more.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  19. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Did they get rid of mousing over the rift to see its destination?

Witcheypoo likes this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

No.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.