Empty Chest thing has got to go - think about the New Player getting 5 empty chests

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, May 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yeah, the veterans can take it, we're used to those kind of painful experiences.

But Blood River Outskirts is crawling with people. If someone just came by and looted it, and you're a new player, guess what your experience is?

Disappointment.

For us it's disappointment too, but we can handle it.

Now you find another chest! And another! Empty every time. Or a mimic. At least a mimic is something other than a slap in the face.

The empty chest mechanic has got to go.

New rule. If you open the chest for the first time in a scene, it is either full of stuff, or a mimic. No one gives a damn if someone else came by 2 minutes earlier, chests have stuff in them.

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yeah, that means everyone in the party gets to loot the chest. This is not crazy.

3. Landor Gerrano

Landor Gerrano Avatar

Hello Vladamir, a fairly new player here.

I get your point but i dont think its a good idea, it would be way to easy to get loot. Sure, finding empty chest isn't fun but buffing them only because some player might not getting loot and quit possebly lose the motivation to look for more chests?

Also I was in the situation, where I did find only empty chests and at that point the my interessts weren't about the loot, since I couldn't carry to much stuff with me. Heck, I didnt even know what to do with all that stuff.
    In addition i chosed to play online (multiplayer) and so I knew that there would be other players around, which possibly take the loot before me.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

We should be able to find supply bundles in chests, IMO. And most places this would start out with lowest-tier supply bundles and then have a chance of higher-tier.

Nog, Nikko, Chatele and 2 others like this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Welcome aboard!

You have a very good attitude.

If you can loot it once, it isn't going to break the Portalarium Bank. Usually it's a few hundred gold worth of stuff, tops.

On the other hand, every player that has negative experiences like constantly opening empty chests, with perhaps not as good of an attitude, may actually break the bank.

6. Landor Gerrano

Landor Gerrano Avatar

I think a better option would be like a treasure chest quest. It only has loot if you got the quest. That way they could add a new feature like treasure hunting with maps. I found maps of some areas which i dont have a use for.

Keep in mind that it all is in the start area. So giving new players, quests to search for treasure chest, to introduce them into exploring maps.

Chatele likes this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Umm Vlad, since you're a veteran I'm not sure if I should say this but... did you try to log in a private instance ? :p

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

:) It's not about me. I'm used to empty chests.

It's a weird thing to be used to, but I'm used to it. The disappointment is small.

However, you can be bet anyone else in the entire gaming world that hasn't been playing SotA for the last few years is not used to it.

moxiepilot and FrostII like this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

What I mean is that usually when players old and new find that sharing an instance with other people brings disapointment or griefing, they can always switch to party or solo mode and have all the mobs and chests to themselves.

Most players I met know about this, maybe it isn't clear enough for new players and it would be a good idea to teach them through game mechanics.

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I think that's certainly an advanced idea.

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

If you play in Private, in theory they might have loot... ;)

EDIT: Now I am curious if that would work....

12. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

My advice to players is unless you're specifically working as a guild or party, to treat the ingame quests and many of the areas as solo adventures. It will be easier to complete the puzzles and obtain the rewards without "stepping on toes" in the process. Save Multiplayer for special events or in general socializing.

13. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

If the chest is designed to spawn with loot, it WILL have loot in a Private Instance

Jaesun likes this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Great guys. I'm sure this news has spread to all the Trial players in Blood River Outskirts already, so we don't have to worry about them getting offended at all.

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I think the point that @Vladamir Begemot is trying to make, is that there's probably a good percentage of new Avatars who don't really know the difference between solo and multi - and might be turned off to a large degree on first impressions .

This is a subject that has been brought up before in regards to most all loot/harvesting while in Multiplayer.

I've been here daily for over 4 years, and have wondered all that time what Port is going to do when we have (hopefully) - LOTS of new players. :)

Port encourages us to play in Multiplayer (think xp bonus's for example), and yet - when it comes to what you can harvest when in Multiplayer with even 2 or 3 other players in most scenes, it almost FORCES you into Party or Solo mode.

Not good .

I certainly HOPE that Port is aware of these OPPOSING goals - and are actively working on solutions to spawns/nodes being available to everyone in the scene in some reasonable manner.

So, yes - I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. ;)

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Thanks @FrostII , what a succinct way to put it!

And considering that they are really working on loot, I think now that you have put it so well we can except to see it shortly.

Huzzah!

FrostII likes this.
  17. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I agree as well. SotA can be a very frustrating game. Let us keep the threshold for new players that are not used to that as low as possible. If you are really concerned that people would abuse the "easy loot" of (usually) barely more than 100 gold and a few gem fragments, this functionality could still be restricted to one and two skull areas, or perhaps up to three skulls. Such a chest surely isn't incentive enough for older players to go to these areas, but for the newbie who really needs the gold and a good start in SotA I am sure it would make a difference.

Vladamir Begemot and FrostII like this.
  18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yes, absolutely....

Even beyond newbie impressions, Port simply MUST find a way for scene loot to encourage Avatars to play in Multiplayer (because making friends/enemy's are what keeps folks coming back when all else fails)....
    And that includes loot and harvesting for everybody in the scene ! ;)

Gorthyn and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

This doesn't mean they can just stand there and hit it repeatedly. It can still have the timer that others do, or even a one time use per zone in.

Realistically, the very "Best Moments" when adventuring with friends and seeing a chest is when everyone gets to loot it!

Satisfying for everyone!

Economy breaking? I don't think so. As you said, the chests are distributing peanuts.

But it's much nicer for everyone to get some peanuts, than for just one person while everyone else watches.

Look at the Challenge Dungeon, just for a gauge of feels. 2 Chests. Go in with 8 people, 2 of them get to open chests before the liches destroy everyone's souls.

Would the general feeling of the dungeon be a tiny bit more positive, no matter how positive it is already, if everyone got to loot those chests? Yes, of course. The reward chemicals would be activated and for a moment, between the pain and suffering, we'd all be in bliss.

Considering the time spent there, this wouldn't break the economy either.

FrostII likes this.
  20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I was going to add something.............
    But after reading, I think you covered it well.......................... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.