NPC Archers... wtf?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tableclown, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Lol, as I said, its not illegal exploiting, but you are exploiting (or *using*) leashing to send the skels running around the room (and then shooting them in the back) exactly as you said. There is a serious issue if that what we need to do to kill a mob (and a pretty severe issue with game design in fact). Why would a mob ever have its back to you :)

Dont get me wrong, I use this all the time to get the mages to port to me but its still a flaw in the game (actually most games).

Cordelayne likes this.
  2. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Exploit is generally used as a negative term in gaming. Leashing is when they run back to their starting position and are immune. I am basically making them reposition and in doing so they are vulnerable and you are protected. You could also use stuns. Having to move around and cover and other defensive abilities the game gives you makes the standard face tanking more fun.

Dhanas, EMPstrike and Adam Crow like this.
  3. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Its because before the update stuff was btroken so u wernt taking damage like you should have been.... had been like it for about 1 -2months.
    Also dont get hit in side or back it really hurts. Damage avoidance and Dodge help alot.

Cordelayne likes this.
  4. Vero

Vero Avatar

If you think using terrain to dodge attacks partly is an exploit you are in for a tough ride in this game.

5. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

ex·ploit
    verb
    ikˈsploit/
    1. 1.
      make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).

It's only negative when used as a noun. When used as a verb, it really just means to take advantage of something.

Jason_M and Witcheypoo like this.
  6. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I know but in a game world to sounds like cheating.

7. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I agree, I can take out archers in the Rise at lvl 76 without taking a hit if the conditions are right. AI archers won't take a shot if they do not have a clean LOS when the begin their attack animation. You play on friends only to reduce lag, then start with a crippling shot to slow them down. From there you shoot and scoot keeping an LOS breaking object between you and the archer whenever the archer is near the end of its relocation move. Easy peasy, AI abuse is OP.

MrBlight and Diab Blackbow like this.
  8. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Using the terrain to mitigate damage is smart, using the AI's inability to navigate terrain intelligently is a much better strategy and also an exploit that has already been nerfed more than once.

9. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

or cripple and run up face to face, they wanna move away and you can shoot them into the back...

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Leashing is the concept of the mob being leashed to you (or attached to you) after you pull its agro. Leashing is also when 2-3 mobs around one mob are leashed to it and are pulled with it. A negative effect of leashing design is that they break leash and run back and are immune or you can use pathing exploits (hiding behind a pillar in The Rise) to send a mob fleeing around the area (and most games have the issue by its design).

Your conflating that with cover. Cover is where you and I are running around it the Rise (I do it all the time) and hide behind a pillar to avoid being hit. I do this all the time if multiple mages attack me, I'll position a pillar between me and a second mob while I kill the first one. The key to cover is that it applies to both you and the mob, you are both covered. AKA, you also cant attack the mob if you are "covered".

Adam Crow likes this.
  11. Vero

Vero Avatar

then i stand corrected, thought you meant using terrain is an exploit :)

Adam Crow likes this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im pretty sure thats intended. They shoot at me every time i step out from behind something and dont shoot at me
    As long as i stay behind something.

13. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Where did you see that taking cover was an exploit ?

SERIOUSLY ????

14. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Sure, the exploit is in the AI behavior when it can see you. The AI will select a new location where the NPC will have LOS on the player and start running the NPC that direction. When the NPC areives, it will repeat the process and move the NPC again as needed. If the AI has LOS at the moment the move is complete, it will start the NPC's attack animation and it will get off a shot.

Long story short, you can exploit this behavior by slowing the archer at long range then breaking LOS, preferably by standoing behind something the archer will need to run a long distance to get behind. You can then step out of cover and fire until the archer is close to the cover, then you move to a new location that breaks LOS and repeat. The archer will never end a move with LOS and hence never fire.

15. Liltipsy

Liltipsy Avatar

What drives me crazy about archers is that they run out of their own zone and then reset back to their starting location and get full health. Makes sieges so unfun

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dont have any slows and im melee. If i step out from behind something in my experience they stop and start shooting at me.

im using terrain to get cover and break LoS to regen if i need to because i dont use heal spells.

In short, im taking lots of dmg per hit, i use defenses in my light armor tree and tactics, i dont use spell shields or heal myself, but i also dont stand and try to turtle tank 4 archers, so im not having the problem the OP has, and im much lower in adv level

Im specifically referring to the archers in sieges

Dhanas likes this.
  17. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Live the berzerker life of K O B K. Two man enter one man leave.

In all seriousness, charging up body slam to stun stuff works wonders. I can take out mobs with >1000 HP before the stun is done with backstabs/thrusts + Autos. It's even better if you got lucky with a masterwork on a chest piece.

Archers are dangerous sure, but they die fast when focused. Adds some excitement imo to otherwise fairly routine combat scenarios.

I do want to echo that I *hate* when the damn archers book it so far from their spawn point that they reset themselves. That annoys the piss out of me.

18. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I'll agree, but they are only brutal in packs. One is not that bad unless he's orange to you. I always go after mobs in this order... Archers, Mages then Melee. And never EVER let an archer or two stay behind you.... no defense and armor pierce is no Bueno.

Witcheypoo and Diab Blackbow like this.
  19. tc91101

tc91101 Avatar

I personally think archers hit to hard. I’m wearing pretty much all plate. Tier 4 is green to me. I can fight multiple melee tier 4 but if one archer or one mage is in the bunch I absolutely must kill it first and then I might have to run away and heal where I wouldn’t need to if the archer/mage wasn’t there.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Leashing in SotA is when the mob runs back to its origin. There will even be a yellow icon under its health bar that reads "Leashing" when you hover over it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.