Open PVP? Private Mode?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Ffred, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ffred

Ffred Avatar

I am wondering if anyone knows what the effect is of setting the game to private mode when in an Open PVP area? Since private mode usually means no other players are in the instant with you, it seems like a contradiction.

Thanks!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

if you enter an OPEN PVP area in Private or SOLO Mode... it will switch you to Multiplayer Mode until you exit the area...

St Drahcir, Ffred, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  3. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

Hi Ffred

An open PVP area will take you out of any mode and when in that instance like Blood bay, for instance, you would be placed into PVP mode whilst in that instance and when you leave you would revert to your previous mode.

A video hope it answers your questions

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Ffred like this.
  4. Ffred

Ffred Avatar

Thanks for the replies, that addresses what happens if you are in party/private mode and enter an Open PVP area, which I was also wondering about.

What about if you are already in an Open PVP area and *then* select Party/Private mode?

I ended up in an Open PVP area, briefly and accidentally, yesterday and noticed that the private and party modes were still there in the interface menu. After I got out I wondered what would happen if I had selected private or party mode while I was in the Open PVP area. But since I'm not very high level I'm reluctant to go back and find out.

5. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Even if you select private/party mode... if you're in an open pvp area, you'll stay in open pvp mode.

Ffred and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  6. CodeDaddy

CodeDaddy Avatar

Why is it that I am in "Private" when my multiplayer mode says party?

So last night was in a party, but I have to switch to multiplayer mode - multiplayer to be with other people in the game... but to join a party I have to switch it back to party mode in multiplayer session?

Its all very confusing.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Tamsen like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

They recently changed it and Imo it is still a bit confusing if you do not know. If you are in multiplayer it will not say anything and it should say multiplayer imo. @Berek could you pass the word. ;)

edited typos

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

So there are three things at play here.

1- your setting (see it as preference)
    2- scene setting
    3- party leader setting

All of the three above will set it to what mode you are in, which will then be listed/written in the UI next to scene name.

Let's break this down with some examples.

A
    Your setting is "public" but the scene is "private".
    Some scenes are mandatory Private and some mandatory Party/Private.
    Even if you have Public set it will then restrict you to Private when entering the scene.
    Your first story scenes are like that. Like'Battle ofSolace Bridge'

B
    You are set to Public but want to join a Party that is already in a Party instance.
    In that case the party leader have the setting Party. Then when they enter a scene the instance becomes Party.
    Where for you to be able to join the scene you need to lower your setting to Party as well.
    Hence set by the party host.

So the principle is "lowest common denominator" type of deal.

Let me know if that made any type of sense since I'm typing on a phone while commuting.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  9. St Drahcir

St Drahcir Avatar

Great question. I had not thought of that since I'm usually in Multiplayer mode. Great to know. Thank you to all that contributed!

10. CodeDaddy

CodeDaddy Avatar

I think if you select Online play and your option is set to not privtae, I should never be in private unless teh scene over rights that.

Also... not sure why there are two mulitplayer options... multiplayer and party. Im sure there is a good reason.

Anyway, thx for listening to feedback, and for the community for helping promote understanding/

(I love party mode btw... shouldnt make Novia Private though)

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

There is a great reason. Say you and a party enter a scene to kill a boss but when checking the scene for nearby players you find much competition for your boss. So now what to do well you and your party can all change to party mode . This makes it so you have everything in the scene except other players. You and your party can see each other but not other players. You have this scene to yourselves. Just don't forget to change back to make it so you can see everyone again when you are ready.

Edited
    And actually this is for PvE zones oops.

12. Nog

Nog Avatar

Also good to see this question asked and answered for the following reason. If you play in single player mode AND only see yourself in a PVP zone, you might have erroneously thought you aren't seeing other names besides your own due to the setting you've chosen - when in reality you just happen to not have any traffic in a zone.

In the 4 or 5 occasions I've entered a PVP zone looking for one of the 8 pages of prophesy, there were no other players in the zone per the window showing other player activity (which wasn't a bad thing since I wasn't eager to get ganked by a superior and opportunistic toon while first learning a new area and managing mobs lol).

13. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Actually, before they changed to the current names, it was known that party and single matchmaking modes were exactly the same. Originally there might have been an idea to make them different, but in the end it's just easier to understand with them both.

The party and private scene modes do have a difference, and there is also a "Solo" scene mode. The Solo mode (AFAIK) means that you're in a quest variant of a zone, with mob respawn turned off, but I have also seen that happen with the zone mode as "Private".
    Actually, in a PVP scene you normally won't see anyone else on the list, even if other people are there. I guess that's to keep it from being too easy to know both when nobody else is there or when someone else is there. All the mobs running around are annoying enough to keep people from staying around unnecessarily.
    The thing is, there are so many of those areas, and the amount of time you're in them for doing the main quests is so short, that it's not worth camping them to grief players. Blood Bay is a different matter, but it's not a main quest zone. I still put up Silent Movement as much as I can, just in case.

Nog likes this.
  14. Nog

Nog Avatar

Thanks for the correction. This is one of those unintuitive things for new/newish players; if the game offers a window showing players in a PVP zone but only shows your name and not the names of players who ARE in the zone, it can give you precisely the wrong idea of how things work.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I don't mean it only ever shows your name, I mean it only shows your name until you discover other players. That's like how on the overworld you see those "?" names. Those are unidentified PVP players.

Nog likes this.
  16. Ffred

Ffred Avatar

Thanks!

By Tor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.