New Arrival Experience and the Outlander Welcome Center

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Bayard, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

If you're still looking for help this evening I will be online and as a resident of the OWC would be happy to help you out. Add me to your friends list to see when I get on.

2. Mikoli

Mikoli Avatar

Thanks!

3. Mikoli

Mikoli Avatar

Baratan, I tired to add you to my friends list but it says you don't exist :(

4. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

oops Baratan Faenthand is my characters name. Sorry about that.

5. Koss

Koss Avatar

Excellent post!

Kudos!

Berek likes this.
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

WTF?

GrayFog likes this.
  7. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

yeh, just report the member on his profile and his posts

8. Charon

Charon Avatar

I stumbled on the OWC last night and it's really cool to compare the first pictures to what it's become. Awesome job all and, as a new player that's struggling mightily, thank you.

One word of caution for new players. If, like me, you're REALLY new think long and hard before deciding to venture into the player created dungeon. Haven't had my butt kicked that hard in a game in many moons but turning a corner and running into 2-3x mages, 2x archers and 3x footman that immediately aggro'd on me and were all yellow to me helped me to perfect my resurrection skills.

Numa, Bayard and Sentinel2 like this.
  9. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

They are not for the faint of heart!

Player made dungeons have some wicked potential. It's only going to get more interesting :)

10. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

@Charon, I forgot to place a paper next to the entrance that warned about that! :eek: Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Added to my 'JIRA'. :cool:

The current dungeons are only templates that we don't have any control over yet. When we get the capability, I'll design a dungeon that is challenging, fun and rewarding for new arrivals.

Thank you for your feedback on the OWC. Please let me know if I can assist your transition into our strange and wonderful new world. I'm in residence almost every evening during the week and often on weekends.

Cheers,
    JkB

11. Charon

Charon Avatar

4 days after stumbling on the OWC and I've now placed a home there. Couldn't be happier about the decision either. I gave JkB a whisper with the intent of asking a single question about the OWC. The next thing you know he's recalled and I've kept the poor guy busy answering my, many, questions for a couple of hours. That's when I decided to place my home in the OWC. I figured if anyone was patient and decent enough to spend that much time answering questions for a 5 day old player, and trust me I had a LOT of questions, they had to be decent people.

If you're new to SotA, I'd definitely recommend stopping in to check it out. Feel free to add me, Dainty Flower, to your friends list if you'd like to know more about the OWC. I won't be able to answer every question but I'll be happy to pass along any that I can't to someone who can answer it.

Jaesun and Bayard like this.
  12. Trueheart

Trueheart Avatar

Hello! Am so VERY glad I found this article about the SotA helpers.. I killed off my first attempt at a character, since I missed talking to the little boy before going thru the portal. He gives you weapons, as well as some very basic interface help.

Im currently on the outskirts of Highvale. 'Guard' is sending me to talk to Captain Burnes.. This info is simply to let you know how new I am and how to direct me to the OWC! ;)

How do I find the OWC??!! Im set up for RANGED and am using a Bow. So far, Im not enjoying the game. Perhaps the help center can help me.

ALSO, is there a dedicated Chat where you can get help while you are not at the Help Center??

Much Thanks.. Peace
    Lynlee

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello@Trueheart. I'm sorry you are not enjoying the game. I am Majoria in game if I can help you. Please send me a whisper anyone who needs help as well.

Edited
    Sorry not trying to detract from the great job this welcome center is doing for players. I'm sorry if it sounded that way. I want to say thank you to the welcome center for all they do. @baynard

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Chatele and Trueheart like this.
  14. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Lynlee,

Hang in there, SotA can be confusing and difficult at first but with practice you will begin to learn what works and what doesn't. We've all been where you are now and faced many of the same frustrations!

The Outlander Welcome Center is just outside of Soltown on the Perennial Coast to the far south and does provide much useful information for newer arrivals. It will be a hike for you since Resolute is far to the north and west but you can travel there without taking too much time (avoid the random encounters like bandits and skeletons along the way though).

There is also much info right here on the forums and you have a new player handbook and player guide in your inventory.

To be able to ask questions in game, you will need to purchase a Universal Broadcast Orb in the add-on store for $2 (or $1 on Fridays). This will allow you to communicate with ALL players to ask questions, chat etc. Once you have the orb, then you can type /u and communicate with the world. Otherwise you can use /z to communicate to others in the same zone.

I will be in residence in the OWC Friday evening and Saturday and look forward to meeting you to answer your questions directly.

In Service to New Britannia,
    Johnkirk Bayard

Cordelayne likes this.
  15. Charon

Charon Avatar

After 2 months thought I'd follow up on my earlier post.

Just shy of 2 months ago I placed a home in the Outlander Welcome Center and frankly I couldn't be happier with my decision. It's right outside Soltown so I run into a lot of relatively new players there that are struggling just as I was back then. I generally add them as a friend and start a conversation. If they're open to it I'll show them around a bit, pass along any relevant tips that have been shared with me and, if I get the feeling that they might stick with SotA, gift them a set of exceptional armor, a weapon and some food to get them started. I remember VIVIDLY what it was like wandering around not sure where to go or what to do, wondering why my skills were leveling so slowly and why I was struggling. It's nice to be able to help people that were in my situation.

Long and short of it, if you ever see Dainty Flower running around the OWC/Soltown area don't hesitate to add me as a friend or ask a question. I'll always be happy to help if I can.

I'm working on my crafting skills, which I'm guessing will never end, but I hope to place a vendor at some point and stock them with quality armor, weapons, food and, possibly, scrolls at just over break even pricing so new players can buy starter equipment at reasonable prices and get them enchanted or masterworked if they chose to do so. We'll see how that goes though ..

16. vondes

vondes Avatar

Your Neighbor Bastion's Point (to the North of Soltown) Bids you welcome, and wishes you all the best as you grow your OWC!! Let us know if we can be of any assistance!

Bayard and Chatele like this.
  17. `Dracula'

`Dracula' Avatar

I Somehow acquired a POT lot deed . its the smallest one, but there are spots available in OWC. I am a new resident there now! There is a Wagon that will take you to Soltown and I been getting gold from the catacombs there. The underground caverns stretch into other more difficult areas so its a good place to start I think! Thanks for making this available to new players!

Bayard, Redhammer and Jaesun like this.
  18. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Dracula,

Welcome to the OWC! I assume you got tired of our former land's constant desire to put a stake through your heart and needed a change of scenery. While the OWC doesn't have a Homeowner's Association, there are several rules the community expects all residents to follow as common courtesy:
    1. Please refrain from draining the blood of OWC residents. There are plenty of areas outside the OWC with wildlife to feast on. If you must partake in human blood, there many large cities to dine in.
    2. Related to #1, please do NOT turn OWC residents into vampires. I'm a light sleeper and all that night-creature ruckus will not go over well.
    3. Clean up after your pets. That includes bat guano and hell-hound feces.
    4. The best way to communicate with me if you don't see me in residence is to mail me. No resident request is too small!

Cheers,
    JkB

Numa, Anpu and Cordelayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.