SSD and House Loading

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vallin Tregres, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Was thinking of getting a Solid State Drive for load-intensive games, but was curious if it would have any effect on the load times of housing. ATM the only use I’d have for SSD are heavily modded Ark servers, but if it effects housing load times in this game then I’m sold!

I understand the initial load of a mod on an Ark server is slow, but all following loads of the same mod on the SSD are significantly faster. By this logic I’d hope the various furniture pieces in this game would load in faster.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  2. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

I have a pretty high end SSD and to be honest, while I do notice a difference in SoTA, I wouldn't consider it significant. SoTA seems really random with what hardware combinations it likes the best. I get better peformance on my older laptop than I get on my newer laptop.

3. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

Did someone say Evo?

Vallin Tregres likes this.
  4. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Yeah. Can’t find a server I like though cause either the numbers are overblown or Wyverns/Rock Drakes litter everyones yard like an obsessive collection of lawn gnomes, which nullifies the need to play the breeding game. Why go through the process of breeding a strong dino when those flying gigga eggs are practically laying about? Can’t seem to find an unofficial server that isn’t modded to the point it strips the core gameplay away.

Thanks for the confirmation. Wasn’t planning on getting an SSD if all it did was speed up Ark mod load times when I’d prefer a server with few mods anyway.

5. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I started this game using a laptop and a traditional HDD and the load times were horrendous. I don't have a high-end SSD, just a 250G ADATA drive, and it is so much faster than an HDD. You won't just notice the game loading faster; your OS will boot faster, and anything else you have running on your PC. It is definitely worth the upgrade.

6. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

This.
    SSD, even cheap ones, are game changers vs. the spinning frisbee HD's. If you aren't seeing a significant impact, there is most likely a bottleneck somewhere with your hardware config; but even with a bottleneck with your setup, the improvements with SSD have made me a convert. I've retired and will never go back to HDD again.
    Also, no noise. When I got rid of my last HDD, I was blown away how silent my rig suddenly went. It wasn't the fans, all the noise were due to the whirlling HDD's.

Sorthious likes this.
  7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

My rig (desktop) has dual SSDs, I took 2x 240g and used them in a RAID0 (striping array), and I have 32g of system mem, so on a Win7 x64 system there is no need to have s "swap" file active, I believe the constant loading/unloading of this swap file is the culprit to bad performance (load times) for everything the computer does, OS, software everything that requires CPU cycles...

Daigoji Gai and Sorthious like this.
  8. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

SSDs will have a noticeable load time difference in just about every single app you run on a computer, especially loading games like Shroud of the Avatar. We highly recommend getting one as your main operating system/games drive!

The next two items that will have significant performance potential are of course the CPU and GPU, but that will be most noticeable after things are loaded (though they will help with the loading process as well, especially the CPU here).

9. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Also a separate drive for your OS and for your installed games / applications will help.

10. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I did it myself. Swapping out the spinny drive for the SSD drive. It was impressive!

11. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

I do have a SSD on my machine though the game is currently on the HDD. Is there any way to copy the game across or would I have to uninstall and reinstall onto the SSD ? As the game seems to install by default to the HDD how would I get it to end up on the SSD instead ?

12. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

I live by this motto. Have 2 SSD gaming drives; doesn't go on OS driver.
    Partitions do wonders too.

13. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    the game should be on the SSD for the best performance. I'm a bit of a snob. No more spinny drives in my pc.
    I can't even stand the seek time to read the directory listing.

However, best performance by far is putting the sota install on the ssd.

14. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Lotta good info here. I was planning on going SSD after upgrading my GPU, but should I upgrade my CPU if I’m getting a top line GPU and SSD for my gaming drive?

15. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

I'm going to put it as simply as I think I can: If I had to choose between a computer w/o an SSD and just having to "rough it" and use my phone instead, I'd probably opt to just use my phone. I've had a SSD since like the second generation intel things and I will NEVER go back. As Berek said, it increases the speed of EVERYTHING.

16. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I would say, Yes... But this all hinges around your MoBo spec's... Chipset in particular... I'm an Intel guy all the way and my GPU of choice is nVidia... Currently I have: i7 4790k 4.0 GHz CPU, GTX 760 4g VRAM, z97 AsRock MoBo... It supports 32g @1600 without OCing, so that's what I put in it... All this hardware is outdated now, but it runs SotA great...

I recently tried an ASUS All in One with an i5 1.9Ghz and 8g mem, and it ran like a slug, completely unplayable, IMO...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.