Option to visually hide armor

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Evermor, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evermor

Evermor Avatar

I am not sure why me saying that I don't roleplay was seen as being offensive, but I'm sorry I offended you by stating a fact about myself?

Games change and evolve, I have been playing SOTA since it was a room with a chicken in it. Should it have stayed that way because that is how it started? We have seen tons of quality of life changes and drastic system changes since the beginning. You used to not be able to jump at all in this game should we go back to that? I am not saying that my idea has to happen, it is something I would love to see if it is deemed a good idea to give players more options for their character.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. Evermor

Evermor Avatar

Only if you are in combat, I could quickly change and then attack you. You would have pretty much the same amount of time to visually process that as if I flagged PVP and the hide helm option was disabled.

3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Fair. Of course, this is why there has been a long-standing request for a delay with visual indicator when flagging. Or do away with on-the-fly flagging altogether and make you go to the Oracle. Either way.

4. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I don't feel offended at all. I just found the way you brought that up a bit "off topic". So I felt compelled to point out the contradiction that I saw. As you didn't answered that, I suppose that you don't have any issue with my logic, by the way.

I never said that the game has to stay as it is nor that it has to change in a particular way (like you did). I just think that every change is not necessary a good thing. Every decision can be discussed. You made a suggestion. I just told you at least four reasons why it would be a bad thing in my opinion. And you didn't adress my points, in any way. I don't want to feel rude with you, but you must be lucid. Apart from the "I want to because I want to" you didn't brought much reason for such a system to be included in this game. If you want a thing to be granted to you, the least you can do is explain how it could not harm the gaming experience of others. Currently, your request would hurt my gameplay and that of many people who favor a plausible world. Why, then, you and those who love your idea would have some priority over us ?

At last, for me, it is clear that if we want to move forward in this debate, it will not be done by staying focused on our own whims, but by finding a solution that can please everyone, like @Lars vonDrachental and @Baratan have done. Personaly, having the option to hide the helm when unwielding the weapon would probably satisfy the two worlds and it would probably be hailed as a better idea than anything we have been able to see in other MMOs. But maybe there is some issue that I didn't take in account with that ?

Baratan likes this.
  5. Evermor

Evermor Avatar

It is really not that deep of a request and I posted it on a wishlist thread, so did not feel that I needed to have a full thesis on why I have a desire for it. It is something that is in many other games and a feature I personally enjoy, maybe it is deemed by the community/devs that it doesn't work for this game but it doesn't hurt to ask (or at least so I thought). I find that often the argument against character customization often falls back on immersion in the game world, but I am curious why not wanting to show my helm is more egregious than me wearing fully enchanted cloth armor and patterning it with a fire dancer outfit, or a person running through a town in a rainbow glowing tutu (I have no problem with either of these just an observation).

I do agree Baratan had a great idea, not everyone is good at coming up with out of the box ideas like this. But you know cheers to you for being welcoming to all community member's ideas and making them want to be a part of the community.

Baratan likes this.
  6. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Maybe those things got included in the game because nobody went deep in the request ? At least, the developpers have limited the pattern to the same class of armor. Cloth is cloth, leather is leather, chain is chain and plate is plate... But the subject you brought is very interesting, nonetheless :

The rainbow glowing tutu (or something alike) is presently an exemple used by one of the last french review of the game, just to shot it down. And the problem is that this review was made by one of the most renowned fanzine in my french community. So yes, some decisions taken to satisfy the requests need to be deepened before, I think.

Also, posting a request at first without giving heavy arguments is fine. But when you see that people get annoyed by something, then it's time to go for a serious discussion, I think. You asked multiple times for reasons that we already gave you. Being welcoming (and listening) works both ways.

[​IMG]

• "la moindre promenade dans les rues d'une ville devient un aller simple pour l'enfer du bon goût": "the slightest walk in the streets of a city becomes a one-way trip to the hell of Fashion and good taste"
    • "Pour s'en apercevoir, il suffit d'entrer dans une taverne où se regroupent parfois les joueurs et de pleurer du sang face à une guerrière en lycra avec un masque de lapin, un magicien dont la robe brille comme un arc-en-ciel..." : "To find out, just enter a tavern where players sometimes gather and cry blood in front of a lycra warrior female with a rabbit mask, a magician whose dress shines like a rainbow ..."
    Of course, I think the review is totally unfair on the form, but they are not completely wrong. Some people can be drived away for such reasons. Personaly, I don't care, but that doesn't mean that the decision to allow the pattern with every clothes (especialy the tutu and the firedancer outfit) was necessarily good.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  7. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Right - I know, and I sometimes do that personally - I was thinking more along the lines of what GW2 used to do - of having a set of deco clothes that would automatically be switched into, when you were in a non-adventure scene.

..although I personally feel that would be a waste of time/resources, programming something new, when you can already accomplish that with a deck - I was just throwing it out there, as possibly an alternative to what the OP was looking for.

8. Ostvel

Ostvel Avatar

I like the realistic view in game of having to don or remove your helmet in this game, however....... The method is boggy having to open your inventory and search for your helmet.... Or open paper doll, right click and hit the correct option of unequip. It would be nice to be able to bind this action to a keystroke or key combo.

Nog, Baratan and Hornpipe like this.
  9. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

No hidden armor or equipment.
    What you put on your paper-doll is what you have on and is visible to all.
    Clothing slots (modification of deck interface) to allow swapping for RP/cosmetics/PVP/different roles fine...

But no vaniashing/magically invisible equipment. No. No. NO!

10. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

You will find this forum's members sometimes militantly opposed to new or different ideas.

Tell that to your weapons and shields as implemented in the game now or the entire contents of your characters magical disappearing inventory.

:rolleyes:

11. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

This is another good idea.

Hornpipe and Daigoji Gai like this.
  12. Evermor

Evermor Avatar

It seems that way.

A guildie just told me that this was addressed in the last livestream by Starr:

Tolgator: Could you add an option to visually not show an equipped cloak or hat on your character while still benefiting of its stats? Basically make it invisible? Thanks.
    STARR: In PVE yes but not in PVP

Baratan likes this.
  13. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

People just get defensive about a subject which is brought REPEATIDLY on those forums, just like "We'll come back until we get what we want."

Of course, it's probably the first time you mention that subject here @Evermor but you can see, with the quote you made, that you are not the first (and by far). So your detractor just react "epidermally".

You see, people COULD maybe say that those forum's members sometimes militantly try to impose a feature to the game.

It's the story of the half-empty/half-full glass, you know.

Personaly, I just hope that the developpers have seen the problem with a plain hide option in PVE. Just pushing such option in the way you asked for the first time would just kill a very important aspect of this game (for a thing you can already deal with if you just play the game without trying to optimize everything). And it would make me sad and bitter.

14. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

That is a misnomer... come on. I can hit examine & still see weapons & armor one currently has equipped.

It has nothing to to with being militantly opposed to "New & different ideas" but rather an adherence to the unique design philosophy of Shroud, which is in many ways "New & different" to current pack of MMOs & (IMHO) the lazy ways equipment is handled in them (e.g. the hidden equipment option.)

In one of the early backer videos something LB said really resonated with me. Wearing fancy armor & equipment makes you a target. You shouldn't be able to hide the fact you're wearing "epic helmet of wanton uberness +69" and mask that from potential opponents or chaotic player predators. Clunky UI or multiple steps to change your look cosmetically IMHO doesn't warrant such a significant change to the design policy.

That said. I wasn't militantly against alternative solutions like I suggested... a modified interface similar to the deck builder allowing different cosmetic costume changes with a hotkey without compromising SoTA's unique design philosophy. If I wanted to play those with hidden equipment I would. Not what I was sold with Shroud. That what you have on is visible is a primary hook & why I'm moreso willing to explore PVP in SoTA... something I used to end up avoiding in MMOs.

Sorry if disagreeing with choices which would compromise SoTA"s core principles is viewed as militant opposition or dogmatic.

I'm done.
    Cheers.
    *taps out*

Hornpipe likes this.
  15. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

You can examine someone to see what helmet they're wearing.

Besides, The idea of showing your helmet when wielding weapons is pretty unique anyway.

I always hide my helmet in MMOs when I can. I manually remove it in the SotA. I don't mind doing it either. I kind of prefer it not being hidden all of the time but I know I would if I could, if that makes sense. My idea was just an attempt at something new. Which is highly illegal.

Evermor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.