Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Linux client bugs and crashes

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by Dumar2, May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dumar2

Dumar2 Avatar

Hi!

Even with the new 777 build the game client randomly crashes and freeze the computer when playing the game. Can you please make sure to fix the linux problems? Now you are issuing a known issue about the graphics too.

The client is extremely resource-heavy on Linux and run CPU on 70-80% (Intel I7) and CPU 90%. It is known to be a Unity3d problem, but this is just bad.

Are the devs able to bring a crash log to the client so we can see what the crashes are about?

Sorthious and Barugon like this.
  2. Dumar2

Dumar2 Avatar

I bring a bonus to this:

Devs! You can't set respawn points in the middle of a pile of mobs! You need to grantee that the player is able to resurrect and then comeback to health and combat without being a piñata the first that is happening! Either you set a trigger zone around a res point to despawn all the mobs around it, or you need to place the respawn far away from the mobs.

I am trying to do the Samuel quest in path of love and I get kicked back all the way to the entrence because of the crashes and then this, that I dont have a chance to recall Samuell when I die.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you see floating lights near an ankh then those are other lifeforms, probably enemies, so just go to another ankh. Also, when you respawn, you have like 10 seconds of immunity (the blue energy around you) in order to move off to a safe spot. If you go into attack mode or cast any spell then that immunity is immediately forfeit.

4. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I'm getting that Load-In bug on every scene, and it's very annoying. I know some think it looks cool and all, but if you are having to wait like 10sec+ on every scene before you can see where you are going it's a big hassle. I wanted to respond in Announcements but it says I don't have priviliges to post there(I reported this a long time ago, but, oh well.) I'm still getting freeze-ups from time to time, and the load times for scenes seems about the same as it's always been. In fact, sometimes it seems like the fade out, right after you click to enter a different scene, takes longer; then it 'starts loading the scene.' I measure how long a scene takes to load from the time I click to enter a new scene to the time where I can actually play in the new scene. Right now, that is around 10-15secs, which I don't mind. I have an RX480 GPU, and read someone else with, I think, a RX470, said they had same issue. Wondering if it's an AMD card issue, in combination with Linux.

How old is that I7 and what GPU are you using? I generally run 50-60% on CPU across 4-cores. This game is pretty resource intense on other OS's as well. Also, how much memory do you have. Here is what I'm running on...

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4) System RAM: 15914
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (AMD POLARIS10 / DRM 3.18.0 / 4.13.0-41-generic, LLVM 5.0.0) GPU RAM: 8143
    SotA.Linux.64.777.Date.05.18.18

My Load-In Issue...
    [​IMG]

5. Dumar2

Dumar2 Avatar

I have poking around this forum and I can see a theme here:

1. It's only Linux that is having really difficulties with the game (no wonders...)
    2. The steam overlay is trying to read from ld.so.preload (LD_PRELOAD) and causes apparmor to deny the overlay. Something in the Unity 3d engine goes rogue with files that it shouldn't mess with and the kernel doesn't like that. Because linux kernel is built for security it blocks all attempts to go rogue and causes crashes. (but this problem doesn't explain crashes with stand alone client)
    3- It is only Nvida GTI 10xx cards that having problems with random crashes.

The devs needs to implement a better error handler so the linux community can work on their side. I want to know why my computer freezes and go in GPU-Lock when I play the game.

6. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Windows users have had, and are still having, problems as well.

I don't know much about this, but does it have something to do with Steam's Shader Pre-caching? If so, this can be turned off in your settings.

Many people are having random crashes/lock-ups that aren't using Nvidia cards. Me for instance. I use an AMD RX480.

7. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

That may be the case, but it's been over a dozen releases since I could play with anything other than the minimum graphics enabled, my settings never save, and the devs seemed to care about it at all.

8. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Not every Linux users plays through Steam and not every Linux user uses apparmor.. And still I am having the same symptoms on this release.

9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

...and i am not. perhaps the 10x0 card theory is worth pursuing: i have a 970.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.