Unplayable in town scenes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by ahninjas, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Windows = Convience, better if one does not know much about computers
    Linux = speedier (but one has to know computers and stuff)

So better depends on the knowledge of the user.

2. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I agree, I wouldn't run Windows as a server, I've always experienced far better performance using Linux Servers. Less hardware costs, more up time, fewer hassles, aside from that long ago initial learning curve.

Experience wise, being able to play the games I want on Windows, without having to spend hours scouring forums for updates, patches, tweaks and modifications to plug into a kernel or command line launcher, is better.

3. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

guys lets not have a windows/linux/mac/whatever war.

Ive been a windows user since windows1 (sheesh that was a crap product) and Ive been on linux since kernel 0.21 (and even put in some kernel patches to the builds)..So, Im a geek. Ive also worked with a number of other unixes (pyramid, solaris, sco..)

everything has a purpose.. everything.. yes, even macs have a purpose (sorry mac users i had early run ins with macs)

getting back on track to the OP.. Some of the problem is that the unity for linux I think is a different version, plus its not necessarily as mature as the one for windows.

I dont know why @ahninjas has such poor performance, the only thing would be the spec of the graphics card looks at the lower end but hold the faith, when things are that bad, are you maxed on memory? cpu? getting any errors in log files?

Nelzie likes this.
  4. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

This is what I'm talking about. There's so many things that can be contributing to these issues, without knowing full hardware specs, it would be quite difficult to nail down any single or multiple step fix.

It's hard to be helpful when a request for information is met with a bit of angry response... (Yes, I probably should have responded better myself.)

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  5. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@ahninjas we do want to help, we promise. Please post some specs and as @Alley Oop said, the easiest way to get the important stuff is /bug and paste it in here.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Not true. You don't need any more knowledge to install and use say Ubuntu than you do to install and use Windows.

Feeyo and Sorthious like this.
  7. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Slapping an OS onto an computer by installer and running an spreadsheet program is one thing.
    Installing an game and make it jump through loops, sit up and roll over on linux if it does not behave is an totally other pair of shoes.
    I run an w10 and an ubuntu setup, while i know where to prod an poke at w10 I rarely have to do it because feeding it up to date drivers and keeping things someway clean keeps trouble away.

Linux is (as long one does not use it for gaming) is usable without special knowledge, but to really have an advantage over w10 one needs to know more about it inner workings, is what my experience is.

Nelzie likes this.
  8. taxalot

taxalot Avatar

Has even any of you trying to help with Arthias' performance issues even asked for his system specs ?

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Are you saying that downloading the SotA deb file and double clicking it requires intense knowledge? Or, maybe you're suggesting that clicking on the Nvidia driver and then clicking "Install" is complicated?

Sorthious likes this.
  10. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

No, I am saying that if things do not run out of the box linux means you need more knowledge to fix it.
    But it runs faster and is way les bloaty than w10

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

How is this different than Windows?

Sorthious likes this.
  12. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

many people have problems with the performance in towns, ardoris has always been the worst for me, central brittany and sometimes owls head can be unplayable as well. i do not believe it is a hardware or OS problem, although having better hardware and windows probably makes the problem less noticeable.
    the real problem is the high poly usage bogs down unity. the devs recognized this years ago and chose to ignore its effects. the towns have so many items and decorations with high polys that any machine should struggle. maybe machines will catch up to be able to cope with the demands of this game, until then only a few people will be able to run smoothly through this game.

Sorthious likes this.
  13. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yes, they're part of the bug report.

Jaesun likes this.
  14. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Yea sorry, its not a Linux thing. It's a crappy release thing. My hitching has increased like crazy with this release. They need to sit down and sort this game out. This has gone on FAR too long. It's getting ridiculous.

I'm not asking for Assassins Creed 4K @ 60fps performance.. (which I can get, btw) but good lord... THIS GAME ALWAYS HAS had hitching.. it has been lowered to "tolerable" levels recently, but its back in force for me and others with this release. We are just fed up with reporting bugs and nothing being done. Take money take money take money.. build some wooden ducks.. and NEVER fix the hitching. It starts to make long time players and supporters extremely reluctant to even play anymore. This is 2018.. the act needs to be gotten together with this.

oh and before someone tells me to post system specs for the 1,000,000th time..

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8) System RAM: 32719
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8086

Have a good evening

/rant

15. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yep....This is exactly what I was complaining about. I don't make a big fuss about most of the issues with the game, but this one is a biggie for me. I know some will say that Linux is no good for playing games, and that it's the reason why I'm having issues, but how does that explain the decent performance I've gotten in the past on this game, or the performance problems that Windows users experience also? Yes, it may be a low-quality system, a particular bottleneck with drivers/an OS/GPU/Memory,etc., but how about finding out what the problem is? It isn't an isolated problem in there should be enough information available to at least investigate the root of the issue. I don't want to get into a fan-boy argument about Win vs Linux. I was just pointing out that the issue wasn't isolated to Linux. If you don't want to support Linux, then don't advertise that you support Linux. If you do support Linux, then support Linux. I, personally, am on the verge of stopping playing till(or if) the performance issues are fixed. The game has left Beta and still, for a significant amount of the player base, has many performance issues. I really like the game but, unplayable is unplayable.

Sir Brenton likes this.
  16. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

That is unfortunate, but the problem, if I remember correctly isn't Portalarium's fault, but the result of the latest version of Unity which is also impacting Linux performance in other Unity based games.

I'm on Win10 on a 1080, and even during packed dance parties in POTS, I haven't dipped below 30 frames on beautiful since I'd say R52. Improvements in R53 and R54 were significant. The occasional slide show hasn't shown up in months.

Again, sincerely sorry you are having this problem, but it isn't limited to SOTA and if I remember one of the recent dev streams correctly, will need it to be fixed by Unity.

https://unity3d.com/search?refinement=issues&gq=Linux

Nelzie likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

SotA is using an older version of Unity for Linux because there's an input issue in the newer version. Basically, your avatar is uncontrollable on Linux using the new Unity. Unity is supposed to have a fix but it still hasn't made it in.

The new performance problems are not because of Unity but because of changes to SotA.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Daigoji Gai and Sorthious like this.
  18. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

*sigh* Sorry @Sorthious they just wont stop fixating on the Linux thing. As if the other threads of ppl griping about the hitching (on WINDOWS) dont exist. or my posts.. or any of the other evidence.. I get 60fps... awesome... but who cares when it HITCHES constantly.. I will never understand the "I dont experience that, I'm good." reply posts in situations like this.. not a contribution.

Sorthious likes this.
  19. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

[​IMG]

*sigh* Sorry @Sir Brenton , I thought I was being helpful. I haven't experienced hitching issues in 2 months. Nor saw your posts. Nor stated that I achieve 60fps only that I haven't dipped below 30 in 2 months. Nor did I see other evidence about performance issues since I am not a Linux user for gaming, only a user in some work environments. ((and only browse tech forums for games I'm playing when I encounter an issue to see if it has already been reported))
    I responded from personal experience playing and will attach dx.diag if that helps diagnose why I have no issues and others do.

If my post upset you, though not sure why, I apologize and accept your apparent offense as a fault of my own.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Barugon likes this.
  20. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I have snooped a little regarding polycount and objects.
    Oh dear.
    My teacher would have an coronar, some of the stuff makes Secondlife and its amateur creators look tame.

Jimmy Cliff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.