Cooking Oil

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joshybones, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshybones

joshybones Avatar

I'm starting to hate this game. I have been trying to cook a fish for more than 5 hours. Why can't i just put this **** on a fire? Pecans don't exist. Cooking oil doesn't exist. WTF?

2. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

If by don't exist you mean hard to find, you can buy the nuts in Kiln from an npc vendor.

discipleofweb likes this.
  3. joshybones

joshybones Avatar

If that's not what I mean, can I still find them in Kiln? Or, is this a prank?

4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I am sorry you are getting frustrated. The cooking system is not perfect, but the main problem in my opinion is that there are too many recipes that you can make, but there is no good use for the finished product. Foodstuffs that grant small buffs for only a few minutes are hardly worth carrying around.

Since there are a great many people who are interested in a complex cooking system, even cooking oil has to be made from scratch. I think you need to buy empty jars from a crafting vendor and make the oil out of pecans. In my experience, pecans are plentiful, and I have never had to buy any, though I cook a lot. You get them from harvesting maple and pine trees where they have been stored by industrious squirrels.

5. joshybones

joshybones Avatar

Ok, if I find a pecan in a tree, that's going to be dope. But, if they don't exist, as i suspect, I will be sorely disappointed.

6. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Not a prank. :p

They also sometimes drop from squirrels and pine trees. But really if you want them in any decent quantity you should just buy them.

Nikko and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  7. Metalocalypze

Metalocalypze Avatar

What’s your IGN joshy..? I’ll flick a few your way when I finish work in a few hours from now

8. joshybones

joshybones Avatar

Kiln was real!
    I've yet to find a tree that I can interact with, but that is a quest for another day. Now to put my pecan nuts to good use!
    Also, my in game name is Joshy. I welcome any friends.
    Cheers to everyone for the quick and helpful responses.

Nikko, Chatele, FrostII and 1 other person like this.
  9. joshybones

joshybones Avatar

Huzzah! This is my finest hour! I have baked a salmon!

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, it's a fine day when you can put your nuts to use.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Lots of trees to interact with. Go in an adventure scene look for trees a bit lighter orangish color than the rest. Make sure you have tools equipped. Look under the k for crafting skills then forestry.

Also Go to a trainer at a crafting pavilion and make sure your harvesting skills are bought and that your harvesting axe is not broken. They do break so it's good to carry spares. Point at trees.

Harvestable trees will have a green glow at the bottom. Point your cursor at signs, at names of scenes to see what resources they have in them.

Also kill squirrels for pecans or buy them. It takes a little bit of time to get the flow of this game but once you do you'll be ok. I'm majoria in game if I can ever help.

Welcome to the game @joshybones.

Sentinel2 and discipleofweb like this.
  12. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

people harveesting mucho trees for wood are nuts..er i mean have them, plenty

13. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

There are two NPCs that sell nuts in Kiln and Etceter, so you do not have to kill pine trees or squirrels unnecessarily.

[​IMG]

Mishras, Sentinel2 and Steevodeevo like this.
  14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

They drop from Reapers as well. Which is probably mostly useless information right now. But thanks to the cowbell hunt, I probably won't run out of pecans for a very long time.

Nikko and Almar like this.
  15. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I have tons of pecan nuts from chopping down trees. And sometimes wolves and bears kill squirrels, so I always make sure to check the bodies!

17. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Killing squirrels and chopping down tree will get you a few pecans, but your best off getting some coin and buying them from npc a vendor.

18. stile

stile Avatar

I agree with the original poster.

Im a home chef, when I have the time, and yeah.. you know what? tonight im making chili . from scratch.

But if i was in a hurry? I could take that hamburger and stick it on a stick and be eating 5 minutes later.

No all cooking should be difficult, there should be simple "stick the meat in the fire" recipes, even if they don't taste like a gourmet meal when done.

Almar, Baratan and Chatele like this.
  19. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I would do away with the idea of 20 min or less food buff.
    As an newbie it was not worth the bother already. Even less so the 2 minute food.

Lower tier food 1 hour. Less stats/regen than higher tier food.

If i mine and such lower tier food would become an option again, even in higher levels.

But as it is, lower tier food is only for skilling up to higher tier foods and not worth selling.

20. Floors

Floors Avatar

I don't know why cooking is so much more ridiculously time consuming than other trees for less benefits, but it is and there must be a game design reason for it.

It helps if you have your own garden, then you can raise the plants you'll inevitably. need, like lemons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.