Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Hitching Problems

Discussion in 'Release 54 Feedback Forum' started by By Tor, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caswick

Caswick Avatar

Yes, i'm having the same issue as well.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm getting an occasional freeze or massive frame-rate slow down that lasts a few seconds.

Sorthious likes this.
  3. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I'm getting heavy lag also, but this is in addition to the Hitching(entire game freezes briefly.) Some hitching will last 1-2secs.

4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Do you think it is population related? I'm seeing a lot more people these days... Alright guys, get your butts in Friends Only, stop taking up precious bandwith or whatever. (Just teasing, I have no idea of the cause. BDF isn't around anymore so I can't troll him by blaming the lag/hitching on him. Sad thing is it is running better than ever on my Surface Pro but I still notice the hitching then my husband says "STFU, you're playing on a tablet!!! What the *&^ is wrong with you!?"
    I smugly told him that he knew what he was getting into when he married me.
    Why do you think I've been badgering the team with "90 fps or GTFO?" I wanted performance but not at the cost of folks with legit systems like the folks above me. I want SotA to be awesome for everyone. Any chance that this is network based?

Feeyo and Kaffe Nightbreeze like this.
  5. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

They want US to figure it out for them? Lol...

anyhow.. I seem to notice it when passing by "potential" spawn points... like when I'm cruising the hallways in the Rise and rounding corners.. it seems to check to see if spawn is "ready" and hitches.. super bad around DeepR as well, unplayable for me this release. I also notice the ppl teleporting around the overland map like crazy now.

I vote we go back to Beta and work out some more kinks..

3devious and Sorthious like this.
  6. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I'm getting the hitching/stutter, freezing (game locks for a second or up to 5 seconds), the teleporting mobs and players and the rotating lag (rotate your character and he stutters as the objects behind him load as he turns).

Ive seen this improve if there are less players in the scene, if you're not close to a mob spawn, if network traffic is low (when the US is abed), I've seen it worsen when the opposite is true, or when it rains, or there are lots of pyrotechnics, when looting.

For me it's a lot worse in some areas than others, Tears is a bad one for me, yet Deep Ravenswood, which is apparently bad for some folks is fine for me....

I expect Chris's comments are a bit tongue in cheek as the problems look like a bit of everything, under optimised game and network code, object details and renders... so on. I think the team has said as much.

We seem to have the consequences of a rigid monthly schedule of delivering new features and short testing cycles and a very small team.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    3devious and Sorthious like this.
  7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Solo player here and I have constant hitching for the first time in all these years. Strange. Perhaps we have taken a step too far in trying to speed things up. If trading load times for hitching is what we are faced with, I vote for longer load times.

Hermetic, Alley Oop, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Hitching is the worst that I've seen it in months. I can't even go for a day of play without having to restart the client because hitching has gone to 2000ms+.

And it's nothing to do with population, many times I've been the only person in the scene and get bad hitching. I've even been standing at the crafting table and hitching will happen while I'm idle. All I can do to fix it is quit and restart the game.

Could the "secret sauce" be that we upgraded Unity? Is anyone with Linux having these problems?

Cordelayne and Sorthious like this.
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yes, it's just as bad for us, with the older version.

Sorthious likes this.
  10. Alley Oop

you should try the qa server if you can: it's really early in the process, but so far the hitching looks good for me.

Sentinel2 and Sorthious like this.
  11. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I saw some hitching last night for the first time this release, and I've played almost every day since June 2nd.

I thought maybe it was just my PC acting up and needed a reboot, but after reading this I wonder if it's SOTA related instead.

Next time I play, I'll be sure to use /debug to see if any errors or warnings pop up with the hitching. I suggest others do the same and report anything critical to Chris.

Sorthious likes this.
  12. Alley Oop

i've tried watching /debug when it happened. no errors.

Sorthious likes this.
  13. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Any warnings?

Sorthious likes this.
  14. Alley Oop

no. no warning, no errors, no info even when it happens. i would have said.

Sorthious and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  15. 3devious

3devious Avatar

To add another level of complexity we may not see others but folks could be playing in private and occupying the same scene. The chances of a party of 8 being there are probably very small but it's possible or the computer could just think there is and we're just as dead.

16. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I think it has something to do with unloading/loading massive chunks of data in memory.

Sorthious likes this.
  17. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yeah, it seems to be the worst for me when mobs pop up in scenes while I'm solo. The mobs in the past were already in place and I could even see them far off in the distance, but now they seem to not spawn until i'm nearly on top of them. Also, AoE's seem to contribute heavily to the hitching.

Feeyo likes this.
  18. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Same experience here. Also to note, when you see other players running in multi player mode they hitch/teleport everywhere.

Jaesun and Sorthious like this.
  19. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yep, in addition to the hitching there is tremendous lag in nearly every action I perform; looting, casting, application of damage inflicted/received,etc.

Feeyo likes this.
  20. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Jaesun, Sorthious and By Tor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.