Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Limited Early R55 QA Testing Instructions - Please read!

Discussion in 'Release 55 QA Feedback Forum' started by BurningToad, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hello!

We are releasing a QA build fairly early this release for some specific testing. Please note that most features and changes for R55 are not complete yet, and the game is likely in a very buggy state. Thus, we do not need extensive testing right now, but will be posting about some specific things. It will still be a while yet before we are ready to post an R55 release notes draft and do more normal QA testing.

The first important item is the Linux build. It would be very helpful to get a variety of users and systems to test the latest Linux build. This one will be on Unity 2017.4, where the current live build is on Unity 2017.2. There have been some keyboard input issues which affect movement and input boxes (like chat) so we are wondering if any users are still affected by this. One machine in our office still is, but others are not. We may also test a Unity 2018.1 build for Linux in a later patch.

Also, for both OSX and Linux, we have re-enabled some performance optimizations that should improve FPS, but have also caused hangs and crashes in the past, so it would be helpful to get feedback on that.

There may also be some limited event PVP testing, we will post updates and keep in touch about that.

Please report all bugs in our R55 QA bug forum here:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?categories/release-55-qa-bug-forum.1557/

You can also provide general non-bug feedback here:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/release-55-qa-feedback-forum.1556/

When we publish new QA versions, I will post in this thread so that you know there are new things to test!

Those of you new to testing on the QA Server please note the following:
    • Do not post screenshots or video outside of the QA forums (or QA on Discord) of anything from the QA server.
    • The same Rules of Conduct apply on the QA server as they do on Live.
    • The QA server is an early snapshot of the upcoming release, which means the build on that server is going to be broken and incomplete. That is why we need your help!
    • We usually copy over data (your character for example) from the Live server to the QA server, which means when you login you will see your Live character. Any changes or progress made on the QA server will NOT affect your Live server character.
    • To report bugs for QA, please use the /devbug chat command, which will link you to the appropriate QA bug forum. While the Bug button and /Bug chat command still work, they will direct you to the Live bug forums for the previous Live release.
    • (This will be done closer to R55 release) The draft of the instructions (to be posted in the R55 QA Feedback forum by Starr) you will see early on may include items that won’t actually make the release or conversely it won’t included items that will make the release. In other words the early draft of the instructions will be an early draft.

Here are instructions on how to download and install QA builds:

You can play by downloading a new SotA Launcher(QA) installer to download a separate QA copy of the game. It exists independently from the regular live version of the game and installs to a separate folder. Alternatively, after the links, there are instructions to play using Steam instead.

Windows: https://d2sx9mrt4zumaq.cloudfront.net/Installers/SotAInstaller(QA)-1.2.0.exe

Mac: https://d2sx9mrt4zumaq.cloudfront.net/Installers/Shroud of the Avatar - Installer(QA) 1.1.0.pkg

Linux Package: https://d2sx9mrt4zumaq.cloudfront.net/Installers/shroud-of-the-avatar-launcher-qa_1.1.0_amd64.deb

Linux tar.gz: https://d2sx9mrt4zumaq.cloudfront.net/Installers/shroud-of-the-avatar-launcher-qa_1.1.0.tar.gz

If you want to play through Steam:

WARNING: Playing both the normal and QA versions through Steam could use up to 7 GB+ of data download via steam each time you move back and forth between versions.

To install the QA client via Steam, follow these instructions:
    • Right click on the game in your game library
    • Go to Properties
    • Click on the tab at the top that says BETAS
    • Enter the beta access code "SotAQATesting" and hit Check Code.
    • Select "qaclient" from the dropdown menu
    • Steam will switch the install to the new branch
    • To return to playing the normal client, follow these instructions:
      • Go back to the properties beta tab and select "none - opt out of all beta programs" and it will switch you back to the normal install.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'll give it a go tonight.

3. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

Downloading...

-edit-
    After my first test, i cant notice any input trouble or blocker. (Elysium Mines)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm having input issues. If I hold down a movement key for a while then let go, I'll keep moving in that direction for a bit. The longer I hold down the movement key, the longer I will keep moving after I let go.

User Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor (16) System RAM: 32158
    GPU: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 8192
    SotA.QA.Linux.64.696.Date.06.12.18
    Area: POT_island_metropolis_01_template/Mystic Isle
    Area Display Name: Mystic Isle
    Loc: (14.4, 89.0, -61.4)
    Debug: UE9UX2lzbGFuZF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxX3RlbXBsYXRlfE15c3RpYyBJc2xlfCgxNC40MzYsIDg5LjAwNCwgLTYxLjM2OCl8KDAsIDAuMDg3LCAwLCAwLjk5Nil8LTcwOS43Nzg2fDEzLjI2NTA2fDcuODA1NjQ1

5. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

Same, already made a bugreport.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-ghost-movement-in-citys.129851/#post-1060622

Can you confirm that the bug is related to City Zones only? Adventure Scenes work fine for me.

6. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Is vulkan support enabled in this build? I would like to do some testing on both OpenGL and Vulkan on Linux.

EDIT: So it seems enabled. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Aeryk and Sentinel2 like this.
  7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

So, no reason for Windows users to test this build?

Jaesun likes this.
  8. BurningToad

Right, a basic run through of loading and going to various scenes would be useful just to see if there are any major issues, but we don't need detailed testing yet.

Sentinel2, Jaesun and Rentier like this.
  9. BurningToad

A new QA build has been published, version 697! No big changes to speak of at the moment. Tomorrow we will likely be able to publish a Unity 2018.1 Linux build to see if the input issue still persists or is any different.

We have local issues with crashing and hanging on OSX and Linux still, so more reports about any issues there would be helpful!

10. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I can not reproduce the crashing. I can reproduce the character lag when walking with shadows enabled. With all shadows off it does not happen.
    Will do a bug report.

Daxxe Diggler and Sorthious like this.
  11. Archer

Archer Avatar

Only got to play around for an hour or so on build 697 today. I'm not seeing any difference to the current R54.
    Only input issues I've ever noticed are with the mouse and are still present.
    I did notice the graphics issue with some vegetation, currently still plaguing R54, seems to be fixed. Although another one has arisen in its place - shadowy non-existent plants that grow larger as I approach then suddenly vanish, weird.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor (16) System RAM: 64419
    GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 6144
    SotA.QA.Linux.64.697.Date.06.13.18
    Area: Ardoris

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Feeyo likes this.
  12. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Feeyo likes this.
  13. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

For the nvidia users. Try: (NVIDIA X Server Settings -> OpenGL Settings -> Unchecked "Sync to VBlank"); This should improve performance on SotA.

For us AMD open source driver users:
    Install driconf with your package manager and edit ~/.drirc and add:

Code:
       <device screen="0" driver="dri2">                                                                                                                                                                                                               
          <application name="all">                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
             <option name="vblank_mode" value="0"/>                                                                                                                                                                                                   
          </application>                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    </device>

<device screen="0" driver="dri3">                                                                                                                                                                                                               
          <application name="all">                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
          </application>                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    </device>

<device screen="0" driver="radeon">                                                                                                                                                                                                               
          <application name="all">                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
          </application>                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    </device>
       <device screen="0" driver="radeonsi">                                                                                                                                                                                                               
          <application name="all">                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
          </application>                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    </device> 

Arcanoxer and Sentinel2 like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Personally, I don't like tearing. Also, Unity should be using triple buffering, so SotA ultimately should be rendering right at 60 Hz, but that's not the case.

Archer and Alley Oop like this.
  15. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

You do not notice the tearing in game though.

16. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

speak for yourself

Barugon and Archer like this.
  17. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Ok... I dont notice tearing in SotA with this.

18. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    Still cannot patch the QA client in linux. 3KB/s - 10KB/s max.
    This is weird.

19. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

firewall / modem issue. its blocking the ports.

20. Archer

Archer Avatar

Yes I do, that's why that setting got enabled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.