Issues with "looking for group"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Hey, we have some issues with the "Looking for group" system right now that is stifling its use pretty hard. The best example is Tears PUG groups right now (pick up groups). We have a few bad actors who one for example will join a group, become its leader and then sit up top at the entrance to the zone just botting rolls and not doing anything. Since the population is so low, that group gets stuck as everyone after a while leaves it and is sits there in the menu stifling the other groups. In another case, the guy becomes leader and then pretty much just afk's for the xp. Again, since population is low, that group gets stuck with a few people in it (who not recognize it) in the menu and styfles the creation of new parties (I even watched someone try with no luck). Thi is because all the new people basically join the group, see its worthless and leaves so they just cycle through and no real group forms.

There is also the big issue now of people clearly joining with their extremely low level alts since there is no mechanism to restrict access.

Finally, most these people end up pretty much end up afk as it is or maybe giving is 10% of their attention. This is a party leader thing and it seems like most leaders end up the ones doing it which again styles any run or creation of a new party to run.

The system is basically being exploited right now and making it hard to create or join actual functioning groups.

2. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

Predicted something like this occurring on a previous thread with some using it purely to get to a zone via teleport then dropping group. The fix re clicking on roll is great but @2112Starman is 100% correct as experienced it myself and it's why I now won't join anything but private guild groups with trusted friends (not friends list btw).

Mechanism to restrict access is a great suggestion!

You can't even kill afk'rs by dragging the mobs to them as they still get exp, not that I'd ever condone activity when grouped with said leeches ;)

That said I'm sure a few people can solo Upper Tears by now, especially as we in DoD can do it with between 2-6 players in group with one dedicated healer*

Fungus

* unless @E n v y is healing

Brugas likes this.
  3. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

Call out the bad actors! A public shaming is in order.

Nikko and Brugas like this.
  4. Nomalice

Nomalice Avatar

This is 100% spot on post. Every point mentioned, I have experienced....even up trying to help an AFK leeching fatherless son interact with mobs. I've seen the same people doing the same thing repeatedly and there are many new players that do not recognized the behavior in a dynamic setting. Really need some tools for groups to thrive.

Synergy Blaize, Nikko and Brugas like this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

If you create a public party you have some responsibility in maintaining it. If someone joins and they are not pulling their weight then boot them (ideally there should be a vote out of party option and if the player is booted by a vote then they cannot rejoin).

Equally players in the party have to use some common sense. If the party leader isn't doing anything, just leave the party and start up a new one.

Yes, there should be an additional mechanic. In the short term players should just take a little more responsibility.

Kazar, Nikko, Fungus and 4 others like this.
  6. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I'm a mid level person, and I usually ask right when joining a party if they have special requirements or if my skillset and adv level are ok. I think it would be nice if the looking for group feature could make it possible for the leader to configure which skillsets and which levels they are open to. So you could state that you accept only characters of at least adv level 90, and are currently looking for a moon mage, a healer, and a tank.

That doesn't fix the problem with the inactive leaders of course. I'm with Envy on that one. Communicate with your fellow party members and decide who's going to open a new group that all others can join, and thus get rid of the leech.

Nikko likes this.
  7. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

I've always found that the easiest way to deal with issues like this is to reform the group without the offender.

MasterWan likes this.
  8. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Definitely need more than that. A public list for starters with increasing bans (ban from zone, grouping, game itself, etc) to deal with abusers. Then the group should also be able to vote to pk flag the "afk'r" if they've been afk too long or been staying in "safe spots" for too long in group. That way when the group reports it, the AI can see if the individual is AFK, how long they've been afk, if they've been afk a lot, if they've done anything for combat, and if they are sticking to safe spots doing nothing but leeching, etc. That way it doesn't get abused by ppl just wanting to vote to pk someone. Abusers flagged this way, when PK'd, lose everything! :) Ok maybe a little harsh... but maybe that's what is needed.

amarious likes this.
  9. amarious

amarious Avatar

Seems like we need a, vote to kick from party option. I also like the idea of public shaming. Too bad we couldn't tar and feather them..

Witcheypoo, MasterWan, Nikko and 2 others like this.
  10. amarious

amarious Avatar

Spot on.

Kazar likes this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

We don't need our grouping experiences to be like WOW and many other games we are not those games. Restricting players and not helping players who may not have seen another player is pretty sad too.

Looking for groups is much needed in this game but it does need a few more features to it such as more ability to say what we are looking for in a group be it level or skill related or are all players invited? Perhaps it is a syncing music group that is desired. As it stands now there is one small subject line and this is totally not helpful.

Since it is said we are focusing on our already in game systems for now, hopefully we can add a little more details to looking for group during the process. @DarkStarr *crosses fingers* that we are.

And don't let the game be groups like wow. Find your patience, be kinder, be considerate, and most of all when grouping be a team player. It is not all about you when you make the decision to join a group. Groups take care of each other.

Helvig Ingvildsdottir likes this.
  12. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

All we need is a vote-to-kick party member feature to be added in. Something not graphical, that is just a couple of very basic commands that you run in the text/chat box. If that is added, we're golden. As for now, we can locate these jerks, talk about them in the forums to give them the bad rep they deserve, and communicate with each other to form new groups, and abandon the losers that do this.

I have already had a LOT of fun using the "Looking for Group" feature, and although I might have seen the AFK thing once or twice, we dealt with it, and moved forward to some really great public group activity. I am very happy that the mechanic is there, as I had a huge problem with trying to get players to join up on things in the past, and now it is largely easy.

This game, to me, does feel fairly complete now. I very much enjoy playing nearly every time I log in, and I look forward to future content.

Synergy Blaize and idaniod like this.
  13. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

Would be cool if you could get a POT “stock” and trap a players avatar there for a period of time. They could pay the POT owner x$ to get out immediately.

amarious likes this.
  14. amarious

amarious Avatar

Muwhaha!

15. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

pretty sure that would violate the TOS and subject your account to deletion. unless the devs changed that rule.

Witcheypoo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.