1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Custom Avatar Head now Lord Forged Items

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

It's too bad you couldn't have given more options for the Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head in the game. That would allow for more customization, at least. Thus keeping to the intent.

How about a royal founder level castle deed instead?

2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Maybe a better option would be some hairstyles or other customization options not available to the general population? That seems a closer fitting replacement.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

The more I think about this the more I think it’s just bang out of order. Way back you even did an example with player heads that had been created. You requested Dukes to submit their photographs in a particular style (some no doubt went out and paid to have pictures taken)

3 years on you say. “Can’t do it, so here you go have a Dev crafted item and a certificate with a stick on signature”.

You seriously pull this across what were essentially some of your biggest player backers...........you actually expect us to trust you again going forward???

NEVER in my ENTIRE LIFE as a customer of anything have I been treated with such disrespect and lack of curtesy. It’s not really just what you have done......it’s the manner in which you have done it.

Totally and utterly disgraceful.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Cordelayne, Lace, StarLord and 15 others like this.
  4. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I am not a duke (although I have easily spent enough money to be one, if it was available), but I could care less about some random item created by a dev so I can sympathize with your disappointment. As for any future fundraising promises: I will be VERY skeptical of them, unless it's something that can be delivered immediately.

This should be a lesson to everyone involved. Port should not promise things they don't know 100% they can deliver on, and the players should not back anything except the same as well.

5. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I am way to ugly for this reward, so I am thrilled with this decision. I wasnt even going to submit anything for it. Win Win

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Beli, Elwyn and Hazard like this.
  6. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

The thread you are thinking of is here https://web.archive.org/web/2017080...-royal-founder-duke-and-lotm-headshots.16677/

And the update of the avatar that included examples of finished product for a duke and duchess is here https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=44528

So the technology was there and they had started on this reward over 3 years ago, so the tech is not the problem, I guess it's just not financially viable to keep this particular promise.

7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I am sorry that you dukes won’t be getting your custom head - I really sympathize with those whose decision to back at that level was influenced by the promise of this reward. :(

8. Ataniiq

Ataniiq Avatar

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There's really no need to be an a-hole.

Elwyn, Jaesun and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  10. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

That was my main reason to go dual Duke, that and the Duke house. Later i upgraded one Duke to LOTM when they improved the houses for that tier. So it is a disappointment to see the removal of one of the most compelling reasons to have pledged at the Duke level. The replacement perk is significantly inferior which is quite surprising as typically "equal or greater value" is expected for substitutions. Oh well.

11. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

Maybe you think $5000 and $10,000 investments are trivial ? They likely wouldn't have had as many jobs without us "whales" in the first place. It would be nice to be able to spend hours "running a fansite for my city and for crafting", but some of us need to work 6 days a week to pay off our credit cards from backing games - lol.

Cordelayne, Pebbles, Lace and 8 others like this.
  12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

That's all that some have left, @Barugon... Sad.

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If you went into debt to back a game, you should likely seek some professional financial counseling. Seriously.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I have to say that dev-made items are a pretty crappy compromise. Hopefully they'll come up with something better.

15. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

oh dont be so grumpy and serious, i thought the LOL suffix would be enough to show i was joking about the debt. Still, what is no joke is the amount of money some of us have pledged for promises that wont be satisfied. However things look grim for this game so there is no point making custom avatars if they cant pay more important bills. We will all have to hunker down and hope it survives.

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It is my nature.

17. Godra

Godra Avatar

@DarkStarr @Lord British
    The more I think about the more I begin to get mad. This offer of substitution is not acceptable. These items are about $10 if they were on the add-on store for sale. No way the pledge levels were worth what we paid without the custom heads.

The issue is what IS a proper substitute for this feature? Receiving all those items, maybe a start, but it still feels like I am getting short changed in the deal. Right now I don’t know what is appropriate, but I can say I can not support this game financially anymore. I also lost trust in you and your team. Portalarium has a lot of relationship rebuilding to do with some of its biggest contributors to this game and company. I am so glad I didn’t invest when the Seedinvest campaign was going on. I probably would have had that substituted with cheap rusty cutting board crafted by DarkStarr or Lord British!!

18. Godra

Godra Avatar

Can anyone give an estimated dollar amount for what the cost would be per custom head design?

David J Thompson and Nietzsche like this.
  19. Horace2

Horace2 Avatar

I would say at a minimum you guys should receive TF PA City Lots. good luck Dukes at LotMs, the struggle is real!

20. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Knowing a few graphic designers...
    Given the fact that they already have base models and are just applying and rigging a skin, 2-3 hours?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.