Purchasing votes for episode 2.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bubonic, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

It's important though. I won't debate this specifically, but if something that was promised in the first Kickstarter wasn't exactly delivered as expected (or perceived to have failed) then it would have ramifications on any promises for Episode 2 packages, would it not?

Lace, Chatele, Salix and 3 others like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

I agree. But I'd perhaps go a step further:

Let people buy things, but have official surveys for Episode 2 features that ANYONE who has pledged can be a part of.

Lace, Cordelayne, Bubonic and 5 others like this.
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Well, I bet fishing gets some work time, it's very bare bones. But agriculture and taming have quite a bit of stuff going on. I don't imagine much happening beyond tweaks without us stepping into "Major upgrade during Episode 2 work" territory.

4. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

The Tater Tot Emperor approves of this idea.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  5. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings All. Just wanted to chip in my 2 coins. I am against the direction of the game being decided by stretch goals. I fully support stretch goals but did not see a problem with the EP1 funding setup. We had stretch goals then also but the developer base was consulted for early help and then the community at large was consulted after that. The stretch goals were just another way to fund the game. There will be new lands in EP2, EP3, etc and with the new lands is the opportunity to move nested POT to overworld, new POTs to buy, all sizes of deeds and houses to buy, and maybe a Pirate bundle with a water lot, as well as many other things that the Kickstarter offered as well.

I would rather have a game that everyone wants and has a voice in then just the direction of a few.

Lace, MrBlight, Gorthyn and 2 others like this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Where is the link to the "official surveys" ?

7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And the reason(s) for your optimism ?

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

That's all assuming that EP1 is a success.....
    I certainly hope so.
    I guess we'll all see over the next few months. ;)

9. thesometimeslurker

thesometimeslurker Avatar

I post ideas in the forums on a regular basis, and some of them have already been implemented (Sword for the Skeleton, better Mummified Undead decay delay, Lich graphical fixes). I honestly hope that what is being said isn't the case: everyone's ideas should be considered equally without having to pay for them. It doesn't seem so to me, but still...

Lace and Chatele like this.
  10. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings @FrostII l, EP1 is already a success it has made it to release. If it survives past that point is yet to be determined and that is part of the funding drive for EP2, EP3, etc. I am willing to help fund the continued growth of the game well into EP5 at this point but all users need a voice in its growth or it will fail.

Boo Ladedada, Chatele and majoria70 like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Because they'll get a free row lot deed.

majoria70 likes this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree very much with this. We can bring back player owned towns for sale, castles, and of course interesting bundles to get funding. Mounts, boating, and flexible placement are things the game needs but it shouldn't be voted on. They get added as they can. Funding will happen with things mentioned and getting things done that are not.

Chatele, Ataniiq and Perashim like this.
  13. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I think that, instead of trying to get a lot of money from a few (SotA succeeded as far as it could with that), Portalarium should try to get a few money from many.

...And it supposes, first, to make the released episode 1 attractive before even thinking about any stretch goal.

To me, that "vote" strategy sounds like a lost cause.

Chatele, Stundorn, Ataniiq and 11 others like this.
  14. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

I'd suggest a different format to decide what does and doesn't get included, using a secure survey monkey style questionnaire to EVERY single account (yes I appreciate many folks have multiple accounts) so that one account gets a single vote on how things get taken forward and no more.

Even with said multiple accounts no one person will be able to push their own agenda as with 68,000 accounts and approx 10-15% voting it'd give a far more balanced approach on what community wanted.

Then with the chosen path mapped out in advance people can then purchase store items (if they wish to) based on the actual direction Ep.2 will be heading in and not something that didn't happen therefore folks won't feel burnt in the same way as pledges made for Ep.1

15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm very anti the whole buying stuff to obtain future features. The stretch goal store failed last time and i'm quite sure that this time won't be as successful as some would like.

I find it difficult to even think about Episode 2 when Episode 1 feels so unpolished and apparently unattractive to the masses.

Either way, they need funding from somewhere and it looks like it's down to the 'community' here.......dig deep.

Dantuin, Ben_Hroth, Salix and 6 others like this.
  16. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I already voted for this game with my wallet and I actually don't feel like it is the right thing to do anymore. Despite all the enjoyment I got, it was not a profitable operation for me, as far as I can now find as much fun (more ?) for much less money elsewhere.

Of course, I do not regret having spent time in Novia so far (I met nice people, including the devs themselves, and the game had great potential), but almost all the recent changes went against what I expected (and what, I think, is common sense) and a substantial part of my financial investment here was motivated with the hope for improvements that never came.

I also think that, before asking for extra efforts to the community, it would be appropriate to see @Lord British more involved in his own project, physically. I hear a lot about what he is doing outside of the game (conferences, book, etc...) but, even if he actually works on his game, testing it (sometimes "cheating like hell" :rolleyes:), I think that a pilot is needed INSIDE of the plane.

So, unless there is a radical/critical change with their philosophy, don't count me in. At most, I will spend the regular $5/10 and wait to see what will happen. And I'm not even sure about that.

Lace, Arianna, Boo Ladedada and 10 others like this.
  17. Derium

Derium Avatar

Why is there so much talk and focus on episode 2 by Port and the community? Episode 1 isn't even near completion yet.

This feels like planning the bedroom colors for your second child before your first one is even born.

18. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Yes I agree, EP1 feels "unfinished" to put it mildly. Given the current mood I would think sorting out what we have already first would increase the chances of people being willing to back EP2.

I think there is too much disenchantment around within the community at present (outside of the "true believers") to suggest a successful funding of EP2 is likely.

sake888, Dantuin, Xandra7 and 2 others like this.
  19. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Stretch goals are absurd on the face. So let's say there are 5 stretch goals, each one at a higher level than the last. Item #1 at $20,000 up to Item # 5 at $200,000. Then during the campaign, they only reach level #3 at $60,000. Ostensibly this commits them to delivering goals 1,2 and 3. Now 4 and 5 are forgotten. My question is if I really wanted #5 and donated my cash hoping that goal would be reached, all is for naught if it isn't. My cash is gone though and my desire for the item is forgotten regardless of how much I spent supporting it. Years later another stretch goal scenario is started and Item #5 may not even be on the list. If it is on the list, I doubt it would be one of the easier goals to achieve (at the front of the list). Might as well throw my money in a bucket. If we have stretch goals we should be able to donate specifically to a particular item on the list. If the item is not funded to the amount required, then the donation must be moot, and the person pledging should not be out any money at all.

20. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

I agree 100%, I will only be giving the minimum $5 each telethon until I see massive improvements to the current episode to substantiate throwing any more money in. Only time will tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.