This game is fun

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Nope sorry but that's a big misreading of the situation imho.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Here is a crazy thought:

Why don’t they just open source SotA?

Let the community help build it!

Witcheypoo and Stundorn like this.
  3. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Nice try. Given the original post, have you ever read How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

4. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I was wondering the same thing for a very long time. I said it myself : if you don't have any interest in the game anymore, just let it go. You surely could find this quote.

But I think it's a question of point of view simply.

Take me as an exemple if you will : I spent thousands of dollars in order to support this game. My husband is formerly a seed investor. Whether I like to play or not, our best financial interest is that this game succeed. I don't care that a few players have fun with it or not. The fact that all the clues show that while people are dancing with ponies :
    - trends that we know about are at a loss of population (I know that Steamcharts are not necessarily accurate, but those can be very representative when looking at trends, especially when it says that, on Steam at least, we lost every new player since the release).
    - my friend list is many hundred people long ; every single person I added as a friend is someone that I have been able to talk to. Not so long ago, I removed all those that didn't connect after 2017 december. The result is pretty eloquent.
    - where is Ferohir, Where is @Spoon ? Where is Baron Drocis ? A large part of the best contributors on those forums don't even play anymore.
    - the dev team had to be reduced in order to maintain balance between expenses and revenues.
    - ultimately, and that's the most worrying in my opinion, $15K of the $80K (18,75%) that Portalarium got from the last telethon has been funded with Municipalities, a POT size which was not even expected as a feature in this game three months ago.
    From the perspective of an investor, ALL the lights are red. In this kind of situation, in any company that I have had the opportunity to know, it means that the product sold does not find a customer base, and those societies are called to die in a very large number of cases. Yet we would have the opportunity to avoid that if things were changed drasticaly.

Yes it seems rather clear to me that something has to change. That's why I post here, simply. And yet, Portalarium acts as if nothing had happened. They act as if the positive messages here justify that no drastic change has to be made, while a game developed by @Lord British that has raised more than 13 million dollars through crowdfunding should certainly not be reduced to a few thousand players and a haemorrhage. Now I understand that you're irritated, so I'll just try to ignore these forums. Anyway, it seems clear that our criticisms are sterile and fall into deaf ears.

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

no and i dont see the connection.

You are satisfied with the game, why allways comment on me and try to make me laughable and ridiculous?
    Your fine game cant be destroyed, its regarding community and wealth in the badest state it can be.

I dont want to rant, i again show what the issues imho are and why sota is not a success, there are ofc other opninions and viable concerns in other directions or what have other main points why sota is not a success.

You are only trolling me!!! @Berek - oh **** not gonna happen :p @someonelse

Veronique of Lowlands likes this.
  6. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

I'm having a lot of fun too.

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

Because nobody gets paid if something is open source.

That's why open source tools are not as good as commercially developed ones.

Look at Gimp vs Affinity Photo as a prime example.

Or Linux vs Mac OS :)

Woodchuck likes this.
  8. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I enjoyed the game for first few hundred hours, after that MEH but im glad to see some people are enjoying! If i recall correctly it was just over the 300 hour mark i realized me and SOTA were not going to get along unless some things changed. IM just glad i didnt catch the spending fever so theres not hard feelings on my end. I think the few hundred i spent enjoying was worth that 300 hours or so.

Woodchuck and Tsumo2 like this.
  9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

There was times in development where I was so sad I almost quit and I railed on the dev's a lot. Yet I persisted and have thousands of hours in this game and every release have seen it get better and better. As my avatar grew more powerful I gained access to vastly greater content (people who start this game and quit in 5 hours have only seen 1% of it and just needed to hang in). I think think the vast majority of things are positive now and plan on continuing to play and start supporting them a little bit more financially.

Heck, I sold off my keep deed and 4 village deeds and currently live out of a row house (I have a village lot with a house that I really dont use as well as an inn thats completely filled with renters) and Im happier then ever. I've sold off most of my deco that I bought just because I dont need it. One does not need to spend anything to be completely happy playing this game contrary to the haters out there.

Im adv lvl 107 now and nothing I have purchased in this game is used to give me an advantage over someone who walked in the first day. Some of the biggest players in the game have some of the smallest monetary contributions and they kick butt.

Steevodeevo, Jaesun, Elwyn and 4 others like this.
  10. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I didn't buy thousands of dollars of assets just for the pixels. I supported this game and by the way I don't regret my decision. I was not expecting any favor (and I didn't have any strong influence over the dev team decisions obviously). There is no bitterness in my words. I am a patreon. I'm passionate and heavily invested. I just won't be happy if I lose everything and if there is no game to play anymore, just because people wanted to hear only good things about it. Nevermind. I reply here because I felt like you implied something.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

there are lots of good open source projects too.

it all depends on the community. everyone loves the game, and have strong opinions on features and content, so why not contribute to improve the game, to fix the bugs that are annoying them, to polish it.

crazy idea, but i’m just putting it out there because it would be too sad to see SotA just simply disappear. >_< *sniff*

let it live on, if the unthinkable happens.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Let's not hijack Razimus's thread about expressing his joyful moments in game. It's very rare that he gets to have a pleasant experience with the game, so please let the man enjoy his moment until the next struggle comes up..

13. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

@Razimus shows us how to have a good attitude and enjoy simple fun.

14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I like what Roycestein said but it still needs to be noted that this thread went dark because it has some of the usual social engineers in it making it dark. Understand that this is their goal, they lurk on this site and purposely move topics to arguments. You know the people after you have been here for a while, you can even see through their alts. Whats even better are the ones who use reverse psychology to make it happen, purposeful saying obtusely positive things to get a rise from people who may be at the time having issues with one system. Unfortunately, lots of people fall for the social engineering.

Jaesun and Kain Darkmoor like this.
  15. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

I think this game is fun too.. As I've been reading through the posts, it's a shame to see that some people still feel the need to try to argue with people that enjoy the game because of their own dissatisfaction and then still turn to try to blame others for the dissent into madness... oh well :(

Steevodeevo likes this.
  16. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

I've played for a good while, but with meteor storm being so luny last release, I started building moon/chaos decks - two schools I've not really messed with before. As it turns out it has really been a blast and I'm still having a lot of fun with it, even with meteor storm being literally less alliteratively lunatic.

Steevodeevo likes this.
  17. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

but WHY?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.