How to make SotA great (please read carefully before posting)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corv, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Me too

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It was too damn long, but people lawyer him like crazy all the time and this is no exception. He didn't know it was ten seconds. Neither did I. Neither did you.

3. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

I find myself saying that about a lot of things. "I thought it was meant to be that way", or "I thought that's just how it is". Makes me wonder if I should now report every little weird thing I come across and would usually address as something normal.

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I would say yes. The worst they can do is say "that's on purpose".

Sol Stormlin likes this.
  5. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

The problem was not that it was 10 seconds. The problem is that it was damn too long by far. I always thought that he had a good and solid reason for that (like the one @Lord Trady of Blix mentioned), but it was reduced from 10 to 2 sec like if it was just a bug. And yes, the fact that @Chris sounded surprised tends to show that he didn't actually play the game, sincerely. I can say that he was connected to the game sometimes, myself, but I can't say that he actually played the game. And that new fact just bring more doubt about that, in my opinion.

FrostII and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, no. The worst they can say is, "yeah, that's bugged, it should be way worse than that."

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

:D

Sol Stormlin likes this.
  8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Here's a nugget of wisdom: Read the feedback OUTSIDE of this forum as well.

sake888, shathiell, Mykll and 2 others like this.
  9. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Oh believe me, I have. The response has been sporadic, and in general, lackluster.

In response to the post with the broken skills spreadsheet- and after the thread got locked- I received a half-ass PM from Berek going through the motions of asking me to explain my concerns in more detail. I did, and also CCd Starr. No response. :(

10. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Those were my words, which he was agreeing with. But fair anough assertion, along with what @2112Starman said- and based on results- perhaps it was a mistake in retrospect.

I would still disagree that the idea itself was bunk, and feel if it would have been rolled out more thoughtfully, the end result would be different. But obviously we would just be speculating back and forth forever to argue that point.

11. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I can attest to the veracity of that example, and can assure everybody here that there are many more examples that have taken the same basic form.

FrostII likes this.
  12. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

THIS! From the player perspective- those of us who are trying to provide feedback and bug reports- it is almost impossible to discern what is actually a bug because we are not given enough information about what "working as intended" looks like.

Ostensibly, we could rely on tooltips but so many of those are bugged also that it defeats the purpose.

It certainly doesn't help when we are told multiple times something is "working as intended" and then, when somebody finally looks into it, does an about face and admits that something was broken.

This type of behavior erodes at trust between the community and the devs, and ultimately results in bad blood between players, and people leaving the game out of frustration, leaving scathing reviews, etc.

FrostII, Tiki Pirate and Hornpipe like this.
  13. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I never thought that crowd sourcing was a Bad Idea. In fact, I championed it for years.

Chris and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  14. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Then- what went wrong in your view?

15. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Agreed, and would add that it appears that the strategy to get people excited about the game was to continually focus on "all the great new features" put out with each release, while overlooking the fact that many of these amounted to not much more than a whole new pile of bugs on top of a score of half-implemented and buggy systems.

It just sets people up for disappointment to announce a new feature and have it be so buggy. Frankly, I'm somewhat scared to try Brewing out. :eek:

It also didn't help that we were repeatedly enouraged to "keep the faith" because the "fixes were coming."

It's like we have a "House of Cards" built here, with rickety walls and a leaky roof sloppily thrown upon a cracked foundation, and then all of it covered with multiple layers of discordant colors of paint.

Seriously- you can go into Discord chat *right now* and see what is happening... when Chris tries to fix a bug, it just exposes more.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Cordelayne and HoustonDragon like this.
  16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Well... some people (including myself) have taken that approach, and just end up getting admonished for reporting "balance issues" as bugs.

17. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

@Jaanelle DeJure So first, not sure who you believed told you not to report balance issues as bugs but please do. Second, I can count on one hand the number of times we've exposed bugs by fixing them. Meteor Shower has been broken forever but it was just recently discovered by players. Third, we are dramatically slowing the new features we are adding and focusing on bugs. That is a big part of the team shakeup.

Please stop screaming the sky is falling. Take a break from the forums or the game for a while please because it just looks like you are trying to pick a fight with everyone and that isn't the Jaanelle I've seen in the past.

18. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Aye aye! Please do us a solid and make sure the community managers are aware of what the policy regarding this actually is.

OK.

I'm responding to a question about what went wrong. Not so much commentary on what I think will happen moving forward, but if you're asking, the best I can muster at the moment is "we'll see."

Not at all. Again, responding to a question, and then some replies. There are no fights happening here; keeping it civil. Actually kind of surprised this thread has survived 12 pages without anybody getting into one!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    FrostII, Jens_T, Xul Rasha and 5 others like this.
  19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

There was an age when nothing was a bug, but that has been over for a long time now.

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  20. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

At the risk of being viewed as confrontational and even moderated, I respectfully and with full obeisance disagree.

I don't view @Jaanelle DeJure 's comments as being combative, but rather expressing her frustration with what she is currently experiencing in game. This thread is filled with players, myself included, who have taken the time to post their thoughts on a game we all love and are passionate about. It is my hope, that the dialogue and discourse being debated within is not viewed as negative, but rather as a point from which greater understanding moving forward can be reached.

Thank you for listening Chris, we are all, as always, willing to listen and help in any way we can.

Astirian, Dantuin, FrostII and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.