1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Q3 Schedule Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Thanks Starr
    That’s my 2c troll for the day
    /laugh

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I'm getting religion here so *hallelujah*. :D

THIS is what I have been hoping for - to see the focus shift to fixing bugs/polishing up what we have and to slow down on cranking out new content. It's not that I don't like new shinies, it's just that I like shinies that work at peak performance...lol. Kinda the way I like my men, fast cars and my dream laptop. Ooo la la.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I, for one, welcome the changes of the dev focus.
    That being said: unicorns? Vomiting rainbows? Really!? Gah!

4. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

I'm could just being a bit cynical here, however Q2 focus was also quite heavy on performance and framerate etc.. Its hardly a new dev focus. Probably the lack of focus towards making new content this quarter in the update is a reflection on the staff cuts. I would guess that the performance focus will continue at the same rate as Q2.

Now that's not to say the development is slow at any rate. Its just don't get to caught up on seeing any faster results in performance and bugs etc especially considering there are less hands on deck now

5. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

*cough* MessageinaBottle ... or Cask... or ANYTHING! Woop!

6. Mikayl

Mikayl Avatar

Please comment on the above! At the moment, this is probably my number one gripe.

7. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

good move, the systems need to be expanded and updated, specially fishing, taming and agriculture.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  8. thesometimeslurker

thesometimeslurker Avatar

At first I'm like, "Aww, no summon overhaul," But I'm also going, "TAMEABLE WYVERNS!"

9. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Crafting & Economy: The fishing system will be expanded to include different water types (fresh vs. salt), more fish types, more loot, and other improvements.

Well that makes my day :D

10. smack

smack Avatar

Looking forward to all the polish and bug fixing, but didn't see any mention of fixing / redoing the presentation, tracking, management, etc of tasks / quests / info (e.g. journal), as well as the whole chat box NPC dialog mess. But I guess we get an improved Friends list and LFG interface......

11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

My understanding is that questing is going to get a complete overhaul for E2, so they may be putting it on hold until then. Otherwise they will be duplicating work. (Hope the UI can be resized soon though.)

12. smack

smack Avatar

They can choose to move those plans forward to fix for E1, but I guess the Friends and LFG interfaces were more broken?

Perhaps they can squeeze in some minor quality of life improvements to the system, among the new emotes and deco objects.

13. Bigg

Bigg Avatar

Please look at mortal online’s fishing ;p it’s close to the greatest fishing I ever experienced in a game that wasn’t built to be a fishing simulator.

-time of day
    -depth of waters (set through fishing UI)
    -location of waters on the map
    -line thickness (set through UI, bought off vendor)
    -size of lures (set through UI, bought off vendor)
    -types of bait (set through UI based on what’s in your inventory. anything from worms to animal meat and leathers to Gems)

there’s was a rare kelp dragon fish that was caught with a Ruby gem, a friend in my guild was the first to catch it and he was awarded a cloak because the fish had been in the game since launch, the dev’s finally ran a competition just to see if anyone could actually figure out the time/location/hook/line/depth/bait just to catch this elusive fish. This lead to some of the greatest laugh out loud moments all over 1 type of fish.

All of these combinations had to be discovered by the players and an extremely comprehensive fishing guide was created on the forums and a leader board was created for:
    -type of fish
    -weight of fish

Plus
    -chance of fishing up snapping turtles they would catch you off guard and was overall a ton of fun.
    -possibility of line getting snagged or hooking something and the line breaks normally resulting in lose of both hook and line.
    -you would see a splash effect sometimes and your pole would slightly bow and chat log would indicate if it as a bite, nibble or a snag so you knew whether to reel in or wait a little longer.

One thing mortal did not have was treasure maps through fishing which was disappointing but I hope SotA’s fishing could find a way to add this.

Just Please make fishing awesome and thought provoking some how.

14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

FFXI fishing is pretty good too. Instead of "line thickness" they have different rods, which may be better for certain types of fish, or too weak for the largest fish, and also legendary rods, one of which is account-bound, and the other not. I've been playing it during the free weeks that happen twice a year, and have gotten really far along in it.

15. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Hooray for performance updates! May this be a productive Q3!

16. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

So excited for tamable Wyverns! :)

17. Boradic Boneslasher

Boradic Boneslasher Avatar

Liking the Wyverns idea, a lot actually … Getting more tamables in is always great. But we will see

18. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

So, no answer in this thread OR the separate thread I made asking the question....

I guess that means no more scene uncloning, which I already assumed was the case because they got rid of their content artists.

Just so everyone understands, scene uncloning = content, and they aren't making any new content.

So if you live in a scene that is an exact copy of another scene and you have been waiting patiently for years to get a new one, you're out of luck.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Brewton like this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I bet they'll be totally weenie.

20. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I'm very excited for the quest overhaul because for me essentially it means I get to engage with the game 100%. Right now it is 5%. I don't mean that to sound negative I just mean I will wait for the chef to finish before I eat. (In the meantime I make clothes on the weekend on Graff Island and water my plants, my kingdom for treasure maps procured from my trusty Fishing Rod of Portosensy!). Oh and a horse, my kingdom also for a horse, but I am happy to wait a long time for a horse, I have 422 buckets of water after all.

I think that fixing the quest engine/dialogue box issues in the shorter term will actually be healthier for the games (yes, games, I have the faith!) in the longer term, because I can see more commitment amongst the masses for funding Ep. II. @DarkStarr @Lord British

And I really think you've done a fantastic job not going down the ! and ? route with the questing by the way. That's one of Richard's directions as a game maker I really admire.

As a uhm... Waiter? I think the game has been improving greatly with every release (the yellow borders from the UI are gone! /zenfive), I'm not worried about the staff reduction (I'm a dev, it makes perfect sense). They are doing a fantastic job imho and this post fills me with enthusiasm! Go Go Team Port!

Lastly, I know nothing about PvE (Jon Snooow!) but I do know I enjoyed Alterac Valley back in my WoW days and the castle sieges in Warhammer Online were a lot of fun for me, even though I was craptastic in both, in fact I hear that Age of Camelot did that aspect very, very, well because it was a 3 faction setup as opposed to 2 (for reasons).

P.S: Saw you a while ago in-game Vlad, but I was too shy to ask for an autograph. /highfive (You're fighting the good fight!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.