Spoon's Back! (Had a bit of an involuntary hiatus due to Murphy & ID10T having a love child)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spoon, Jul 4, 2018.

?

Poll it

1. Spoon, the only ID-10-T here were you, never leave your phone, ever

5.0%
  2. Spoon who?

31.7%
  3. You've been gone? Hmm, didn't notice.

5.0%
  4. Good to have you back, Spoon.

56.7%
  5. Darn it, thought I could have all your stuff

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

So first. Woot - finally been able to fire up my gaming PC and got all the passwords etc to log in. Feels like forever since last around.

Then - SORRY, big apologies to everyone and anyone who missed me, or through my inaction got the short end of something. I will try to sort through my PM's over the weekend to find out exactly who I've let down. Sorry again.
    ...and if you haven't even noticed my absence- great - that means I have one less apology to make.

So downloading all the updates now and jumping in, need to go through a couple of alts to update lot claims etc so might not use Spoon until the weekend (since he has a longer lot claim expiration).

So again - great to be back - and sorry for any inconveniances my absence might have caused.

So this was a perfect storm of mishaps and screw ups.

• First thing was my gaming PC's drive bricked. SSD to add insult to injury. But that was somewhat ok, could still login and participate in forums etc, and could easily be replaced. Planned that for the weekend to have time.
    • However, two days later my boss shows up and asks me how my schedule looks - never a good sign. So had to go ASAP to a customer next monday and save everyone's bacon (work in industrial robotics/automation, which means sometimes whole assembly lines are down).
      That in turn meant I had to prep the trip over the weekend and not spend it on my rig.
    • At the customer site turns out they have partial production running with lots of extra people doing manually that which should be automated. So have limited access to the line/robots, meaning lots of work between and after shifts, meaning almost no down time and inside a concrete walls blocking cell phone coverage etc. So pretty much incomunicado.
    • Sort it out, but last thing is that the local reps and the customer want to thank me by taking me out my last day there. Which is where ID-10-T shows up. Since I've checked out and don't want to carry it while we go for dinner etc I place my luggage including company laptop and phone in the local reps office with the promise that I would be able to pick em up before the flight - yea, that didn't happen, security padlocked the doors early since it was friday.
    • No matter, luckily out of habit I had my passport and ticket on me. So I leave the country without my stuff, but the local reps would send it express after the weekend.
      Yea - that didn't happen either.
    • So at home again catching up with family etc, and put my new SSD into my gaming PC only to realise - hmm, passwords. Well they are all in one of those nifty password apps, which of course I had on the company cell phone, which now was in the wrong country. And had I been smart enough to backup the password app on some other device? Nah, it was one of those on my todo lists...
      Also that meant all the passwords, so any and all of those Forgot My Password thingies - yea you need to login to your email to get those, which isn't easy with two tiered passwords etc.
    • So here I make the crucial mistake of not taking action to replace the stuff - since I knew it should be sent. *sigh*
    • Get the package number and can see it wind itself through europe, yea, they sent it regular - not express. Got it to my company and pick it up - too small and too light. Turns out it is not my PC and phone but rather some special tools I used in the factory - which wasn't even mine.
      The local rep that I had had contact with had gone on vacation (we got pretty long ones in europe) and given his colleague instructions on what to send and not etc.^
    • Rinse and repeat the above another time with the ID-10-T colleague.
      This time I call him up so that no mistakes can be made, yea that didn't happen either. Lets just say the language barrier was strong in this one, and its also a sales guy, not a technician, and sometimes sales guys are not good with instructions, or tasks, or...
    • Finally went through it, got him to take pics of my pc and phone to verify what he would send etc. Make him package it and off he went to the transport company. Great.
    • My first incling that he had screwed up a third time was that I didn't get a shipping number this time.
    • Then when I had been pestering him for that for a couple of days, got the shipping number and thought it odd. Yupp, not with the regular one we use. Who didn't have a shipping ID website, instead one needed to call them - and they didn't speak a single word of english.
    • At which point I got a bit miffed and burned my bridges with the sales guy who promptly stopped picking up when I called.
    • So decided to wait for a couple of days for the package to come. Yea, it didn't.
    • Found some other colleague who spoke the local language. Who talked to the trpt and it turns out it was being shipped. Yes, as in by ship shipped. Two weeks normally port to port they said. Yea that wasn't right either.
    • Talked to boss about getting replacement phone to download apple backup to get to all my data. Well.... Looking it up and it would take about three weeks delivery for a new phone to turn up due to all the systems, approvals and administration in our large corp.
    • Could go on but you are problable bored before this and its mostly just for my sake to rant about it...

But eventually said package turned up, I got my company PC and phone back ... and today finally the new drive is in the rig, the login and passwords backup up and used, the game being installed etc.

...and yes I realise with hindsight that I could have done a lot of things differently.

So brewing? That sounds like a thing.
    *runs off to drown his sorrows in a river of brewed fresh mead*

Happy hunting

Spoon

2. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Welcome back, Spoon.

There is brewing, yes.

No, sir, we have no mead.

3. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I thought that you left. It's good to see you again, @Spoon

Welcome back

Spoon likes this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Happy to see you back! :)

Spoon likes this.
  5. stile

stile Avatar

You know seriously.. I didn't realize you were gone. Please keep in mind that I am a HORRIBLY busy person and I have a disclaimer.

I didn't make the connection until I saw this post. Then It clicked and I was like, huh, now you mention it I haven't seen anything from Spoon in a while! So I did kind of notice if you will.

Glad your back!

Spoon likes this.
  6. Godra

Godra Avatar

Spoon, you have been missed buddy!!!

Spoon and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  7. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I keep the encrypted file that my password app uses in dropbox. Comes in pretty handy sometimes.

Spoon likes this.
  8. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Definitely missed... AFTER YOU COMMITTED OUR GUILD TO THE R54 LAUNCH PARTY...

@Roycestein Kaelstrom was going to send the search party to Sweden!!

:)

Glad to hear you are still in one piece.

unicornslady and Spoon like this.
  9. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Spoon likes this.
  10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Dang almost landed on Uppsala with the search party. Gotta call it off to save some COTOs.

11. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Sounds like you had a fun couple of weeks of phonecalls :p

Spoon likes this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I have missed you@spoon. I do appreciate your feedback and the support and awesomeness you've provided here on the forums for so many years. I always like being able to say perhaps spoon knows;). Welcome back.

Edited

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Spoon likes this.
  13. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

LOL

You don't really expect us to believe all of this?
    What REALLY happened...

J/K
    Welcome back. I was wondering where you were.

moxiepilot and Spoon like this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

You do ROBOTS? COOL!

Spoon likes this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Don’t forget the welcome Quest ;)

Welcome back @Spoon ! :)

Ben_Hroth and Spoon like this.
  16. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

Spoon who?

Spoon likes this.
  17. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Welcome back!

Spoon likes this.
  18. MetricPig

MetricPig Avatar

I was forum (and game) absent for a few years, so i dont rememeber the name, but you sure did make me chuckle... in a purely sympathetic way, of course ;)

Spoon likes this.
  19. Koss

Koss Avatar

So... you got picked up for a dui and did your time?

Lol... jk.. welcome back

Spoon likes this.
  20. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Welcome back @Spoon. I thought the gods were causing you problems but I thought it was the local mods gods not the big ones. Welcome back.

Ben_Hroth and Spoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.