Are there any plans to boost the game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jorhoto, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Actually no... People who make blanket statements about poor performance without details of their issues are the problem. Not saying you, but plenty of others have. As far as saying a lot of it is on the user's end, it's true for a lot of it. Depends on what people say are performance problems. Like you can have your system optimized but memory leaks will still hit you after a while, used to be terrible in the game and has gotten a lot better. So you have to reboot or restart the client, not a major deal but some could consider that a performance problem but we'd never know because they just come, post "horrible performance" and leave.

If you've done any IT/Support, worked on others computers, dealt with their issues, etc then you'd know what I'm saying holds water. Plenty of IT people can tell you, it's like war stories for them.

There is always notes in release of what they still need to do. Optimizations will always be there. It doesn't mean the game has not been optimized or they have not been doing it consistently throughout their releases either.

Your original statement of "My son's crashed a couple times, I kept clipping a wall, still the pace is very slow, and even on my seriously overpowered i7 Nvidia 1080 based machine with 32gb ram its performance is lack luster", is what lead me to believe you were having issues on your end. While I agree that it probably is a matter of having expectations "too high" depending on what you perceive it to be, I think the problem is focusing too much on the "fps". It's going to drop in a lot of the major hubs of Brit for sure as well as other heavily decorated, housed w/ vendors, areas. Not so much in other parts of the game, at least now. Having computers crash playing the game is definitely a problem and unless you know for a fact what it is, it's usually a problem on the user end, be it hardware issues or otherwise. But what do I know, I've only been doing this all my life and have many computer setups that can run this game without crashing and even the 7-8yr old ones can run it fairly.

Have you actually tried to see where and what the problems are (troubleshooting)? If so, why not post the exact details? Or post them to the devs?

2. Corv

Corv Avatar

New article with info about marketing:
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-05-is-richard-garriotts-shroud-of-the-avatar-on-the-ropes

Hornpipe and Stundorn like this.
  3. Meccanica

Meccanica Avatar

You continue to prove my point sir. None of this matters, if players are leaving or not happy with the game play. Excuses like Brit is heavily decorated so poor performance is expected... This is not OK. You are so focused on being right you are missing the point.

Vyrin, Gorthyn, Hornpipe and 2 others like this.
  4. Thunderwolf

Thunderwolf Avatar

I have been playing for a few days now and to me this is not a mmo I have seen about 15 other players so far this is more like a solo game that you need to invite friends to play with if you want to group with anyone or see some one other than your self playing. I do like the game so far but god its lonely out here. Now the cash shop that's to me way over priced at this point in the game no players mean no income and I did not see any advertisement on the game at all I was just lucky to be searching for upcoming new games to play on youtube lets hope they can do something to get more players. summer should be more players loging on not less kids have more time to play my son is up all night playing his games.

MrBlight, Jorhoto and Stundorn like this.
  5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

OT: @Meccanica GE ? I was PACS ADMIN for 8y with GE RIS/PACS Products :)

whatever: you said it very clear. i also think that yes sayers here are part of the problem. Best example was a thread in a german Forum, where someone asked how to be a pure crafter without having to fight pve.
    It was explained its not possible and works as intended.
    In this forum there was a similar thread or i picked it up and descirbed it in another thread and you know what. They came and stated its possible, why not, with some patience and skill to avoid Mobs you can harvest all day long without having to fight and become a pure crafter. This was meant serious and exactly these statements and people allways seeng the good are part of the Problem.

edit: Seeing the good beeing optimistic is not bad at all, but to blandish the reality is a huge problem.

Jimmy Cliff, Xandra7 and Meccanica like this.
  6. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

So to be a pure crafter avoiding all pve you would have to buy everything or stealth the whole time to avoid mobs. It would take forever to do it but if someone wants to do it that way and they are happy to do that, why say they are not facing reality??

7. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

Doesn't this game have specific requirememts for the users pc? I can agree that having to buy a 2-5k computer is absolutely absurd for an "indie" game. I had to switch from my 6 year old Toshiba to a $1,400 "gaming" computer to play it and played on "fantastic" yet it was still not as smooth.
    It is now though, since the last release. Seems like everyone has different issues. Some have fixed issues, others do not.

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

This community is awesome - really - i need to take a break from the forums, this forum and comminty drive me crazy and make me ragequit the game and all.

Blackghost likes this.
  9. Meccanica

Meccanica Avatar

Small world!! I'm actually building some new DataPower end-points to proxy Epic / PACS API's for SSO :) - But I guess I should be more worried I don't have my Nvidia driver configured right to play shroud! Sorry all back on topic :)

Stundorn likes this.
  10. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

Respectfully, I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying.

I realize the game allows for certain players who have ample time to become god-like. But those players do not have everything and I can bet are bored out of their minds. In fact one such player DID buy all of the resources to work crafting without having to spend the time to pve. They then went on to sell their crafted items and I can bet they spent more on those resources than what they are making simply because there is a lot of competition. Selling resources to such players who don't want to grind actually does help the economy in the game. How else can you afford buying from Morgoth? :p
    (Kidding)
    I always tell people to not worry about how others play the game because that is their experience. You are there for your own experience.

11. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

I don't know computers very well, but I had to switch from VGA to HDMI to use my Nvidia. I had been playing on VGA for like 8 months before a friend told me I needed to switch. It made a huge difference.

Meccanica likes this.
  12. Meccanica

Meccanica Avatar

Hahaha!!! Hey Sol!! While I complain about issues, clipping, gameplay.. I'm also happy to point out the things I enjoy, and playing with Sol is one of the Gems in Shroud! Hope you have been well, sorry all the hard work on our house was lost :(

Bigg, majoria70 and Sol Stormlin like this.
  13. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

I've been wondering how you and your son have been doing. And I am well, and the guild is doing great! I'm hoping for the best for Shroud so we can continue our adventures. I think even if we do lose some people, the game will be around for a bit.

Meccanica likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Did you check for nearby players which is located under the stained glass window in the upper right hand corner of your screen? The thing about this game is the players may be there but you don't know where they are congregating to unless you have a good sized friends list. It would be great to have a heat map showing where players are even if little dots on the map but atm this is not the case.

Also if players would Open up another chat window and drag it out and customize it with chat options only found under the blue gear it would be easier to not miss communications. Then /z to say hello. If everyone would have that custom chat window set up we could all communicate better.

The fast travel in this game is our friends list for now plus it does tell you where everyone is that you have on your list. They don't have to be friends but it does make life easier to get around. I accept all friends requests but I'm out of town until august. I can help here though of course and am happy to help.

It doesn't mean other players aren't there you just don't know it unless you have friended them. Teleports usually only take you to the scene they are in not to them.

Many do play solo to have scenes to themselves but you can still whisper to each other even if other modes.

Yes for some it does take initiative at this time to know where players are and play this game but hopefully that can be better fleshed out one day.

This game was not released full featured or completed at all. There's still a lot of bare bones systems to work on and some won't be tolerant of that or understood that it may be a diamond in the rough gane and take time and more resources.

We do have the best housing in any game even if not easy to get but doable once accepted and deciding to take the challenge to get it.

We have the loveliest music system and syncing music can be such a joy. When I return I will start up some groups and teach anyone who wants to learn everything about this.

I love this game and the possibility it is. I have been here the whole time begging for improvements along with many others and we have seen lots of them especially in the last 5 or 6 months.

I expect this to continue if ragers choose raging over helping constructively and speak so loudly it keeps players away from joining the game and the Shroud of the Avatar crusade. This is imo of course as always and not spoken necessarily to the person I've quoted.

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm sorry too. I hope you can put it back together. I'd love to see it

Meccanica likes this.
  16. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Not sure, i logged in the other day for the first time in months maybe even a year? And the game still felt the same to me. I ran around owls head, and soltown and a bit on world map. GHOST TOWN. Granted i didnt do much, but game felt pretty much exactly the same to me that it did the day it went into persistence. Still hoping to log in one day and be pleasantly surprised. I also got reminded of how annoying the load times for all the zones are too.

Meccanica likes this.
  17. Xul Rasha

Xul Rasha Avatar

There is some truth to what you're saying from what a user reports if you've ever worked at a support desk at any point. However, our specs are pretty similar. Two rigs for me I have tried this game on - both 32gb ram, i7s with sli gtx1080i and a single gtx1080i, and there are odd performance issues in certain areas. It's a common complaint and I have experienced it even as someone who has been building PCs and works as a network engineer just a tad over 20yrs. So yeah, maybe you and I have very different standards in MMORPGs for what's acceptable and what isn't when running overkill specs.

18. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Yeah, must be. Most RPG types generally have lower fps than most other kinds of games as usually the fps wasn't the primary concern as you don't notice it much unless you get to severe lag/choppiness. But.. it still boils down to what are your perceived conceptions of performance? Overall? Or letting some things kill an otherwise acceptable experience, like some areas of Brit's hubs with 100+ player vendors, housing, decorations (not static decor which is easier on loading vs item that can change and have to be reloaded everytime due to changes/possible changes), etc.. or even some buggy spots which have have been reported but still need work on. Used to be I would have to restart/reboot after vendor shopping through the Brittany hubs. It's gotten better but can still be a pain. Memory leaks can always be improved upon, it's gotten better, but still performs pretty well and can be played well on older platforms to boot. I'm not here trying to make a case that SotA should have the best FPS benchmarks in gaming or even close to it... don't think it should. But as far as playability and acceptable performance, yeah... should be just fine on "overkill" hardware.

Plus you have to have some consideration & reasoning between the differences in engines, the way they are used, and the kinds of games you're comparing it to. All of these are factors.

19. Jorhoto

Jorhoto Avatar

Why a monthly subscription plan if things are going so good :S. Nobody told them there are less players because of the summer... :D

20. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

They still need money revenue, regardless, so why not? Not sure how you figure less players in summer... if anything, it would be more. This isn't the 1950s where the only thing to do during summers is go on family vacations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.