1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

R54 Livestream Missed Questions (Part 1)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Spoon likes this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I should start reading all the words!

I see how that could be misunderstood. Though, I think if that was what Rufus meant, he would have asked for a POI marking the center of the map. Regardless- I'm not sure how that would be difficult to implement? We already have POIs on the map, which presumably take into account the transformation data. Perhaps Rok has an even more different idea oabout what was being requested?

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Lets continue the sentance from above...
    :p

;)

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

No, I saw that part. (I read good now!) I mentioned it because a) if that was what Rufus wanted, I think he would have asked for it specifically, and b) it doesn't seem to jive with what Rok said.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And please @DarkStarr don't make sheet music bought from another player able to copy. That makes this trade not viable. We took the time to download the ABC files and anyone can do that. I don't agree others should be able to copy them.

Rufus D`Asperdi and Tiina Onir like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I was thinking something in the gothic style with padded rooms. Maybe with a sterile looking room for "procedures".

DarkStarr likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Enemas?

Barugon likes this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes enemas. :cool:

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ooh, an obsidian surgical observation theater basement!

Barugon likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That would be pretty sweet.

11. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Sheesh, can we leave any sort of risk-taking in the game? Do people think they will just zone into instadeath or something? And besides... death to a new player is of no real consequence..?

12. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Some may just assume it's intentionally designed to prevent them from moving forward until they are high enough level. When I first started I stayed in the Soltown area for 3 or 4 months because I didn't realize how easily I could make it through the nearby pass.

13. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

May I ask why you didn't try? Was there a consequence you were concerned about?

14. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I'm not sure new players necessarily know enough to know what consequences they should or should not be worried about. Enough games level-gate regions that it's probably at-least somewhat of an expectation. We really don't, and that's fine, but I think that's an expectation that incoming player from other games need to have adjusted.

Aeryk and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  15. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Well there's the Instructions. But beyond a perhaps unreasonable expectation that new players would read those, there are plenty of established players willing to offer advice and other assistance.

I mean... Even if a player is accustomed to level-gated MMOs,they would be familiar with the basic mechanics of one..?

It's not really getting at my question... Since a new player has pretty much nothing to lose, what is the concern?

Sounds like simple "fear of the unknown" which is understandable up until the point where a person chooses not to seek out the readily available information which would quell their fears.

How much hand-holding does a game need to do? How much more of our dwindling resources should we devote to adding new features to attract fans of theme-park games?

I'm just having a hard time understanding what is really driving the behavior. It's a game... You might "die" and so what?

Are we now supposed to cater to players who are unwilling to risk death in an MMORPG?

Perhaps I am just ignorant due to my age bracket, but is this in high demand now by players? Games with no risk of loss?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  16. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

They have their time. From their perspective why bother even approaching a challenge that's a certain loss? I could try an play chess with a grandmaster, but I don't because it's a waste of both their time and mine (although not much time :rolleyes:)

Is it a certain loss? No, of course not, but the new player doesn't KNOW that. Besides, I don't see why you're so adamantly opposed to just letting them know what's going to happen. There's already not a risk, just tell them. If you where complaining that waving them through dumbs down the game, I could understand that. Heck, I'd even agree with you, but this is just about giving them the information.

The reality is we're ALREADY catering to players who are unwilling risk death. It just seems foolish not to let them know their being catered to: it just means we get the "dumbing down" without the benefit of the additional players it's supposed to bring.

17. oplek

oplek Avatar

Risking death isn't my issue, exactly. It's risking death to sadists and griefers, which I cannot allow. I won't give them the satisfaction.

18. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

As I said, all of the needed information is readily available in the Player Guide. What more can we do but put links to it and hope people read it?

I mean... It sounds like what you are talking about is basically copy-and-pasting chunks of the Player Guide into little tooltips that pop up in game.

But then, if a player still chooses not to read what it says, what can be done?

The issue you raise about "dumbing down" the game is kind of separate, but which we apparently agree upon anyway. Personally, I question the value of attracting players who are not a good fit for this game. History proves the result is that nobody is really happy.

But the topic at hand here comes down to simple reading. Here, let me copy-and-paste it right here for convenience:

It's kind of shocking you are willing to argue with me in defense of players who are apparently unwilling to spend a half hour or so reading through the Player Guide.

Is this something personal perhaps? If so please take it to PM.

19. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I had no reason to believe there was anything beyond a tier 5 zone that was blocking my path that would be lower than tier 5. I just thought I needed to be able to clear those monsters to fight anything beyond that.

This was also when there was basically no quests in the game, and I hadn't checked any online resources yet.

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Ok, I'm gonna tell you all a secret:
    If you enter a control point, exit to menu then start on world map, you'll find that you are always put on the same side of the control point regardless of which side you entered from. Armed with this information, you can get to anywhere on the map (except for Drachvald) without having to actually run through a control point.

The way I get into Drachvald is by recalling (my bind point is the Spite town crier). I get out the way I described above.

Cordelayne, Aeryk and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.