how do i set train intelligence to maintain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Hendoman, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

I only can set int to off or on or dash. What step am I missing? Didn't see it on the known bug list

THE HENDOMAN

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

You can only set a skill to maintain if it is above a minimum level (40, I believe) and has skills below it on the tree. This note is in the Player Instructions:

Woodchuck, Jaesun, Brugas and 2 others like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Which, to me, always seemed to be an unnecessary complication of the UI... They should all act the same way... All have the same choices... If one of the choices doesn't apply at the moment because it can't be affected by loss, then setting it to maintain does not harm, has no advantage, simplifies the UI, reduces confusion, and adds consistency.

@Chris

Mishras, Woodchuck and Gix like this.
  4. Deana Beretta

Deana Beretta Avatar

It's actually "a skill can only be set to maintain once all of it's children's requirements are met"
    Meaning, if there is a skill below the skill you want to maintain, you must meet the requirements to activate the lower skill first.
    The parent of each "specialization" skill (this includes train intelligence, as focus specialization is a child of train intelligence) must reach a level of 80 before it can be set to maintain.
    This list includes....
    • Stand Your Ground (shields)
    • Bec de Faucan (polearms)
    • Blade Mastery (blades)
    • Endurance (heavy armor)
    • Acrobatics (light armor)
    • Breaker (bludgeons)
    • Range (ranged)
    • Sun Eater (sun magic)
    • Fire Reach (fire magic)
    • Bulwark of Earth (earth magic)
    • Undead Mastery (death magic)
    • Chaotic Feedback (chaos magic)
    • Life Power (life magic)
    • Well Grounded (air magic)
    • Blue Blooded (water magic)
    • Moon Eater (moon magic)
    • Train Strength (tactics)
    • Train Dexterity (subterfuge)
    • Train Intelligence (focus)
    • Combat Training (taming)
    All must reach a level of 80 before they can be set to maintain. It's probably a bug, but that's how it works.

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

But, why?

@Chris, @Bzus, what is the purpose of this added complexity?
    Why shouldn't any skill be able to be set to Maintain (or any of the other 3 states) at any time?

There are 4 states:
    • Learn: Pool Experience is applied to increase the skill on use.
    • Maintain: Pool Experience will Only be applied to this skill if it decreases to maintain the level due to a Death Penalty.
    • Don't Train: Pool Experience is never applied to this skill, and the skill is allowed to drop in the event of a Death Penalty.
    • Unlearn: Experience is drained from this skill and applied to others.
    I see no obvious advantage or problem with letting any skill be set to any of the 4 states at any time.

Maintain on a skill that is not in danger of losing experience due to a death penalty is functionally the same as Don't Train, but avoids the confusion of "Why can't I set this to Maintain?"
    Unlearn on a skill that has reached its floor because it needs to be a certain level to enable higher tier skills... Same deal... No reason to not allow them to set to Unlearn, it just won't have any effect.

Unless there is actual reason for the added complexity, why not just let any skill be set to any of the 4 available states... That way people don't really need to know the mechanics behind the scenes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Feeyo, Woodchuck and Brugas like this.
  6. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Well with the death penalty mechanic, if you don't have it set to maintain/learn, then when you die... even if you have adventure exp pooled, it will still take some from skills not set to maintain/learn... maybe more if you don't have any adventure experience your pool.

I believe Browncoat nailed one of the primary reasons, unless it's bugged. It would be probably less complex if you could just assign pooled xp toward the skill manually instead of the mechanics in place. Not saying im for or against it, just saying it would probably be less complex and if it didn't have the decay/death penalties.

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Its a bug

Jaesun likes this.
  8. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

makes sense, my int was at 73 or something, i am STILL trying to get base stuff to 80 o.0

Thanks for the replies

THE HENDOMAN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.