From 150K to "many thousands" in less than 1 year? Where did the players go?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaanelle DeJure, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Hahahahah mac is the equivalent of over 1000 players!
    Humm i know a few guildies same time as mac at least... so thats easily 5 or 6 /150 ... humm lol

Even a year ago.. thats like.. 400-600 daily players time total lol.

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

*censored*

Cannot write it, would be moderated and deleted.

3. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

Have to agree completely w/ the OP's concerns. The way the blurb is worded, the number of 150k is described as highly active. When one realizes that this number encompasses any and everyone who has ever purchased an account or received a free trial, the vast majority of which are no longer active and/ or were active for only a very short time... it becomes clear that "highly active" in no way assesses this number; the term disingenuous comes to mind.

No, trolling would be bringing up the vast trade routes that criss cross Novia.

4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Yes, I know...

You wouldn't believe them if they did...

5. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

There's a lot about the SI campaign that made me scratch my head. I posted about this statement a while back: "Shroud of the Avatar is a detailed sandbox-style MMORPG". That generated a lot of confusion for me because the game is supposed to have solo player and selective multiplayer. It was never described as a sandbox until that time, and one can argue that there is a clash between sandbox and RPG. But I don't want to revive the discussion, I just want to say that it's probably important (although no need to know) WHO wrote the text, and that they were probably engaging in typical marketing speak. My main concern is that conflicting statements make it harder for people to understand what Shroud actually is.

Anyway, I chose not to participate in the campaign because the marketing language didn't give me confidence about what the money was actually going to do, AND I didn't sign up for Shroud as a sandbox MMO. That's just me, others probably had more confidence in the direction of the game from reading the SI campaign.

6. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

I could explain but it would get censored ;)

7. Jorhoto

Jorhoto Avatar

Azzamean and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  8. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

I'm a statistic on both those charts ;) One I get frustrated with cos I love it and the other I play to calm that frustration as there's people to kill in PvP ;)

9. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Though it was explained already, "over 150k", at that time, was the number of people that had a forum account.

The other number was the Backers which at that time was 60-70k.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

It’s not at all surprising to me.

It’s investment marketing material, intended for investors and/or potential investors.

Of course they’re going to wordsmith it in a favorable light and vague enough to avoid libel. Of course they’re going to take “creative liberties” on the numbers. And if you ask for explanations, expect to hear a lot of stuff that amounts to nothing.

11. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

They should never count Free Trial Accounts in numbers given to the public for shareholders that is extremely sketchy.

The 150,000-ish number has to be people who kicked in on the kickstarter and or picked up the game, people who have spent money on their accounts.

Now, that doesn't always translate into actively playing and spending more money, because... well... people die, life priorities change, circumstances can make it difficult to get back into the game, etc., etc., etc.

12. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

Within the context of financial fundraising marketing material, it's of average (maybe above) integrity. They were making a pitch. I'm sure they had legal help in writing all the material. It was of course designed to show the game and company in the best light. They have an incredible amount of information available on this site, all the streams, the actual game to download. Investors weren't misled. For legal reasons, they're not going to discuss these things on here.

I don't see a conspiracy here. Just a small company trying to do the best they can.

13. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all, so let me ask you this... Do you really think Redbull gives you wings?

Elwyn, Vox Aquila, 3devious and 5 others like this.
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

That's a misconception. A crowd of spectators can be highly engaged but it doesn't mean they're active participants.

Considering how the community is in the official forums and Reddit forums, I'd call our community highly engaged too.

These words are specifically weaved this way to suggest more than what they really mean. It's PR; it's not lying if it can technically be proven true.

Woodchuck and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  15. Deana Beretta

Deana Beretta Avatar

Of course it does. To this day, I have never bought a redbull, as I would have to purchase all new shirts... with wing-holes...

16. dayero

dayero Avatar

Yes, I do. I also think there is an actual tiger in me, waiting for me to eat that cerial. I never eat cerials.
    I also believe the economy will collapse solely due to startup activity. Think about it: every single one of them is disrupting some market or even several markets! That is like... millions of disrupted markets, just in the next few years! ;)

17. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

You arent supposed to take the red pill.....

18. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

So where do they go from here to get whatever percentage of that mythical 150k back? I can’t wait until the next telethon to see if they are bold or bland. I want Port to succeed and this game to grow but 3 people on that stage getting all giggly over a pony will not cut it. R/Boris/El Pirata

19. Chaox

Chaox Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Referenced here: "150k registered players" and "many thousands but not in the many tens of thousands of monthly active users at the moment" are indeed two separate categories of metrics.

Since that time, our registered count has grown to (and is currently at) 255,000.

Brugas, Elwyn, timelordian5 and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.