Active Users?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Referring to this it's maybe more interesting how many active Users we have since Release.
    How many for March, April, May, June?
    How many logged in and how long is the average playing time?
    @Chaox

Xandra7, Katu, digriz and 5 others like this.
  2. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

I would be curious to know as well. Just so I know how many players and what gives the game health that is there for investment. I usually see games in the summer spike for those aimed at younger generations (such as mine, because no school, no college, etc). But for the older crowds I don't believe that is the case.

Is SoTA aimed at younger or older generations? I'd imagine the goal is for all generations... But I don't know how to break the finance barrier for the younger college kids...

3. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'm not sure why you're asking. You already know they're not going to reveal those numbers. Arguably, they shouldn't, since it'll be used as a bludgeon in any case.

Jaesun, Woodchuck, Nelzie and 3 others like this.
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Not sure if the playtime per session is a valid metric to measure game performance. If one were only to have 30 mins to play a game, the odd is he/she would spend up to 30 mins to stay on the game before having to tend other more pressing matters regardless of how great a game can be.

Woodchuck and Nelzie like this.
  5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

But see the link above where Chaos closed a thread and comes up with numbers.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Am I reading this right? Are you saying that $20 to $30 is too much to play a game? 'Cause that's all it takes to play this game... and do very well, as anything that can be or was bought with RM can be had in the game via gold (with the possible exception of the Keep and Castle level deeds).

7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Not true, it's not granted you can buy "everything" from other players, it depends on what players sell.
    The a need to sell nothing.
    TF Deeds?
    If 1000 players come in and all want to buy something rare Telethon stuff or Deeds, i'm sure they arent all able to buy anything they like except City and Keep Deeds.
    The other point is, who do you think is willing to grind 1.5 Million ingame gold to buy a bigger House and deed? Or what does a Town sell for for example only 500k.
    Last time i knew someone selled a TF Row deed and house for 500k igg.

8. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

Ehhh...... heh.. Okay. Well, people with lower income would feel disadvantaged is all I am saying. They would have to play a lot more hours to get to a point in their housing and deco than someone who was more wealthy. That is why I favored the subscription model with a low end cash shop.

9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Black Desert Online - £7.99 (All Reviews 67%)
    Final Fantasy XIV Online - £9.99 (All Reviews 82%)
    The Elder Scrolls Online - £14.99 (All Reviews 76%)
    Albion Online - £21.95 (All Reviews 68%)
    Shroud of the Avatar - £35.99 (All Reviews 53% )

Saying whether "x" amount is too much to play again is very subjective. However in comparison with competitors you could certainly argue there is a slight problem.

Katu, Tiki Pirate, Cordelayne and 4 others like this.
  10. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

Yea and it really isn't the base cost of the game... I played games so much in college and it wasn't ever a base cost really. It was the cash shop. I think they could have done better with a subscription model instead of the high prices. Sorry, if I see these prices for some of the houses it sort of takes the wind out of my sails. Can I get them in game? Yes, but the amount of grind when the other person can just buy it? Call it what you want, but then I go off to other places. This game needs players and they gotta move their model of business over.

11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Ok, back 2 topic.
    would be very interesting how many players are actively login per Month with an average playing time.
    And if numbers arent that good, i'd like to hear what is Portalarium planning to get more players?!

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is so uninteresting to me and seems like yet another attempt to spread angst. A more interesting discussion would be: how do we, as players, get more people to try out Shroud of the Avatar?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Jaesun, Vox Aquila, Onyx and 2 others like this.
  13. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

[​IMG]

Humble suggestion for the incoming thread lock

Stundorn, Barugon, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  14. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

I hear ya on this count. I look at this game, where some of the things you are buying are NOT strictly cosmetic, and see they are asking, and have to shake my head. I mean, a city lot is big and all, but damn, I can buy a used car for that amount of money!!!

And @E n v y , if you know anyone that wants to buy the game and they're paying £35.99, send 'em my way, I'll buy it for them for £32 ;)
    just kidding... sort of.. but I get where you're coming from as well.

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Stundorn
    You've been trashing SotA in virtually every one of your posts over the years.
    On March 7 of this year you said.... "i quit playing your Game and have no hope anymore."
    How bout you do what you said you were doing, and go find some other game to trash.

16. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Honestly Id dash my brains out against a wall if I had to moderate the forums.

No numbers for 5 years. Not going to get them. They value the current testers as an amazing asset to the development of the game and posting anything that might cause an exodus of speculation is a bad business plan.

17. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Asking for a user count is * trashing * the game?

Okay.

Cordelayne, Stundorn, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  18. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Asking the question isn't. But past posting from him indicates the way the information would be used.

Kain Darkmoor and Nelzie like this.
  19. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

True. I generally have roughly 30 minutes in the morning to log in and do some things in the game.

A more useful metric would be how much money is coming in every single month, which is something that will need to be shared with shareholders at some point.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  20. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I don't understand the "how many player's are online" hype?

Don't misunderstand, please: Yes, it's important, the game is supportet so it can be developed and servers can be paid.
    As long as we get monthly information about Releases and IMPROVEMENT, I am not interested in the amount of players.
    Consider:
    If 100 would buy the game for $40 this would be $4,000 per month.
    If 1000 would buy the game for $40 it would be $40,000 per month.
    Having a monthly telethon with -usually- about $40,000 from current(!) player base seems okay, if we just focus on money, or not? ;)

Yes, player base may not raise in comparison to other games, but who cares?
    On long term it will. This game isn't a may fly ...

A high population in a land/town isn't a guarantee for a good economy ;)
    Our real world systems are confirming this!

If you're asking, what I am caring about, if not player amount (and may be the money behind this question ?)

At first I like to play a game to have fun. If I don't have fun, I switch it off and don't wonder about how many units are sold ...
    ... when asking that: am I caring if all the other 1000 people have fun?
    What's the reason for this kind of question, as long as I know, the monthly income is enough to support "my" game?

If I fear, the game development could stop, well, I would
    1. try to inform people about this game (well, people with a similar taste ;))
    2. play as much as I can to enjoy the time which is given :)
    3. support the game with that amount I can afford and I am thinking it is worth to do.
    4. bug report if I find a bug ... so others can participate and enjoy :)

Too often we are dependent on statements and what we think, how it should be:
    How many "likes" got a film, a book or a game? (Amazon, Facebook, Twitter ...)

I really don't care. There are books/films unliked a lot of times - I like them. Same with music.
    Nobody and nothing can be liked from everybody. That's life.

If the amount of "likes" (players/users?) would be a guarantee for a very good and high quality economy, our world should be perfect.
    Well, I doubt it.

Quality of -whatever- is not depending on amount of (active) users. A lot of stuff and the whole Internet shows this ;)

FrostII and Vox Aquila like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.