New Marketing person, how r the results?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I hear @Chris is the new adds guy, great to hear. How are the recent results and what kinda stuff are ya doing?

Hard to tell some times from our side, is the flow of new players begging to show?

It would be nice to see in some way the results in growth.

Solazur, By Tor, Sara Dreygon and 3 others like this.
  2. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I'm curious about the marketing as well. I have to date only seen one advertisement for the game and it was on MMORPG site which is a good place to have it but the duration seemed quite short.

3. Corv

Corv Avatar

An ad on youtube was spotted. That's all I heard so far (other than the usual facebook ads)

[​IMG]

4. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

I've seen Facebook Ads..... I see there is a pic of a YouTube ad now. I've never seen an ad anywhere though like I would image through Google and on other sites.

5. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

There should be ads everywhere.

Solazur, Chatele and Brass Knuckles like this.
  6. amarious

amarious Avatar

My biggest concern..doesn't just about everyone use some kind of adblock?

Chatele, Stundorn, TheBalance and 5 others like this.
  7. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

There are many sources out there to advertise a game, you can publicize it on youtube, facebook, twitter, game publications, game stores, comic shops, game blogs, etc. There are plenty of places to advertise. The problem with online sources like massively overpowered and the like or the horrible reviews and the weak defense against them. The reviews are short, uninformed, and biased. Not to mention they use footage and information from years ago and only review on the negatives. I haven't seen one that has anything good to say about the game, instead it's a piece focusing on slamming the dev team. Bad news sells, controversy sells. Good news, and happy fluffy writing doesn't sell.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  8. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

The best advertising is word of mouth... and this game hasn't earned that to any non-negligible degree.

Instead of concentrating on publicizing, monies and efforts would be far better spent designing a better core game: too many systems are shoddy and placeholder... and too many systems are missing; not being afraid to face these realities and then applying oneself earnestly to their correction is the remedy.

If this game were to be worthwhile, people would take notice. It isn't, and they don't.

9. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

One time I got $100 free ad money from twitter, I carefully planned and spent $50, you can choose categories, country, etc, etc, specifications on who you want to advertise to. The money went quick, very quick, there are bids and if you bid too low your ads don't show up in prime spots, at prime times, etc, but the $100 disappeared in around 2 days after I carefully spaced it out, the bulk of it disappeared in 2 hours, so buying ads is expensive and can backfire if you choose the wrong category of who you want to focus on as a potential consumer. The results of my test involved probably 50% negative comments, so it went to the wrong audience. Putting ads everywhere would be a mistake, it has to be carefully placed and budgeted very carefully, otherwise all the money is gone in a matter of days, and depending on the audience it could be a bad fit if it's just randomly placed. My advice would be to put a lot of effort into making the ad, think the most popular youtube channel's thumbnails, they either put a lot of effort in it or a little but they usually have the same element of bold colors and contrast and giant text and over the top attention grabbing designs.

10. Floors

Floors Avatar

I don't think the game is ready for a heavy marketing effort I really don't.

I'd rather see that money spent on the game. If it cant' spread by word of mouth, what good is wasting money on ads.

You know the general reaction uninformed folks have to this game.

11. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

Yes of course you need to target a specific audience. I would assume they know that already. I meant that there are a lot of outlets to place ads that target gamers, and you do want to place it in generic gaming areas that don't have a specific target but target ALL gamers. People like to try new things and it would be worth a shot to target everyone in the gaming community. It sounds like Twitter is too expensive, but it's possible if they did plan accordingly on a specific target audience, they could have it up for about a week or so but maybe even more. Can you choose specific target audiences on Twitter?

12. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Hah, do like the Southeast Asian market and do false ads showing something else and when they log in, they're in SotA :D

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  13. Gix

Gix Avatar

Kind of wish he’d stay focused on game systems and balance.

Shouldn’t this be up Starr’s or Richard’s alley, instead? Why bother the tech guy?

14. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

My impression is that Richard is the visionary, which means Starr is overseeing everything. Who really knows what has happened behind the curtain. All we know, is that they are going to keep going no matter what has happened or will happen. The game will be around for a long time.

15. Gix

Gix Avatar

I understand that but, considering we've got the main tech lead to not only do programming but also internal tech support and combat design working on a project where the clientele is starving for improvements/fixes and new features, you'd think the others would also wear multiple proverbial hats and pitch in (aside from logging jiras) and spare the guy from doing the thing he's most likely the least qualified for.

... or is the engineer of the bunch really the most qualified at marketing of all things? Better than the Producer and Executive Producer?

I don't know what Richard or Starr is doing exactly and I sure hope it's more than "having a vision" and "overseeing everything" because it all sounds really odd to me. There's not much to oversee if only one guy is doing most of it, you know? Anyways, I'm not going to dwell on it more than I already have.

16. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Just adding that @Gix is 100% correct. Wearing too many hats leads to problems, especially in crunch times when it matters most. Which this game is most definitely in at the moment.

17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

You can advertise like you want, if someone is interested he will search the Internet and read Tests and Reviews and maybe will try anyway because it's for free, but most people will recognize an overall mediocre to bad Reviews and Discussions and won't even try it.
    That's the reality we can see , i hear for 2 years from everybody i want to give SotA a chance.
    This plus Shop/ Housing Prices.
    Plus - no i dont say that because i want to, but because everybody i know who has tried SotA says so - the game felt to grindy and really everybody was discouraged when they ask about how to become a specific role and know this game is about hybrid Builds and not about interdependent groupplay.

To be exactly and correct , i only know people who like online gaming and nobody was interested in playing SotA as a SP RPG, they said: well for things like this we have the witcher, kingdome come, divinity...
    what are all 10times better regarding a SP rpg story and environment.
    Btw those who play SP offline never need to buy anything in the shop right?
    SP Offline players , buy the game and can get everything ingame.

So advertising SotA should maybe do a research what people to adress in the first line and maybe, just maybe make some decision torwards more players.

Making the main Coder the advertisement guy to me means we dont take it serious to advertise the game.

18. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

Overseeing everything would mean being part of that process by managing and also contributing. I am positive that Starr does work on things, and isn't just sitting at his desk with his feet up. I'm not sure what Richards role is. He's definitely the visionary, and I'm pretty sure he does contribute but it's really unclear. Sometimes he's at the livestream, sometimes he's not. Visionaries are the leaders, they don't usually manage things. I agree that with a limited staff now there is nothing else they can do other than take on those unfilled roles. I believe that they are. And since we did see Richard at the last livestream, I'm sure he is taking on more as well.

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  19. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I would imagine any new/big marketing "push" will be after the NUE polish - or it should be IMHO.

20. Corv

Corv Avatar

Saw another one on reddit just now:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.