Make Agriculture casual friendly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I dont have the time to play everyday .
    So i cant water my crops in the timeframe we have.
    Why it cant be the way that if you stop watering the plants just stop growing?
    There is no alignement to celestial movements or effects.
    To have xy amount of hours to grew and to water it is cool, but to have to login and water your Crops within a 16 or 32 hour timeframe is not casual friendly.
    Cant it be an option?
    You can water them when you like and everybody is allways getting the maximum amount of plants after watering 3 times?

It's again a feature that only benefits those who play every day.

Arianna, Barugon, Gravidy and 7 others like this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I believe you can throw them in a container or the bank to stop them completely.

You can also put them in a basement to decrease their growth time to 1/10th normal speed.

Barugon, Gravidy, Woodchuck and 4 others like this.
  3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Both is immersion breaking and feels like a bad workaround, sorry, but i know you just want to help .

4. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Im still waiting for kobold electric water pump (placed near a water well) hoses and sprinklers placed on plot (that you can program to water at x amount of hours).

5. Vodalion [BEAR]

Vodalion [BEAR] Avatar

crops not doing anything if not watered is as immersion breaking - plants are living things - if you neglect them, they die ...

Dhanas, nimueCW, FrostII and 4 others like this.
  6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

@Stundorn I don't find it that hard to log on and water, unless you have a huge farm... What I do find tedious is drawing water from a well: They really need to add a 20 counter, so my "E" finger can rest... Even with 40 plants it is time consuming...

7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Thing is. I try to find ways to play the game and have fun.
    I cannot be competetive, because i'm casual and the limitless skillsystem is to time consuming.
    I dislike repetetive grinding.
    Even if i go UT now, i will be bored and exhaust quickly.
    If i want to idle around do a quest here, gather 30 woods there, make a barell , craft some food etc... and do agriculture the game want me to login daily.
    But i cannot login daily or i just dont want to login daily.
    If you only play the every other day you cant even become a casual farmer ingame.
    I've returned to SotA trying to find something for me to play the game further, but i feel absolutely nothing is casual friendly, even agriculture.
    Whats the damage to make it just an option and dont let crops become mature until they are 3 times watered?
    It's ok if they molder lets say after 7 days unwatered.

8. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Some examples of immersion breaking and bad work around's -
    Why it cant be the way that if you stop watering the plants just stop growing?
    To have xy amount of hours to grew and to water it is cool, but to have to login and water your Crops within a 16 or 32 hour timeframe is not casual friendly.
    You can water them when you like and everybody is allways getting the maximum amount of plants after watering 3 times?

9. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I agree. At the very least, make it so that if you miss one watering it doesn't become a complete waste of time. That's way too harsh.

10. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Adrian (Kung Fu Master) Avatar

They want to make agriculture as close as real life but left out the rain factor that needs to be the real life factor as well.

Looking forward to buy/hire NPC maid or water boy to take care of the farm while you’re away.

Hiring another player to water your farm is out of the question, which is doable, but most likely would not bring any profit to your farm.

Sol Stormlin and Vaiden Luro like this.
  11. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

@Stundorn I'm a casual player too. Mostly weekends. Maybe a night here and there. I will never be competitive so I need to find ways to enjoy the grind. Some nights I kill nasties. Others I craft. Sometimes I try to complete one qiest in my journal.

But I'm never going to get a full yield from my crops. I have 40 plants. Not 9000 like some and it still is time consuming - just like questing or crafting.

I hate to be the voice of reason here, but you're probably just going to have to accept the less than full yield. Makeup for it in quantity if it's that big an issue

Onyx likes this.
  12. MFWalter

MFWalter Avatar

If you have the water buckets already in a chest at your crop plots and a decent level in the water plants skill then the longest amount of time for watering 40 plants would just be the load screen. I think I can do 40 plants in two "castings" of water crops atm.

Dhanas likes this.
  13. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

That is exactly correct. Oh, and buy the water. Only 2 gold each and you can buy 400 at a time. No need to spend time and effort to change this.

MFWalter and Jaesun like this.
  14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

People gathering water from wells is just crazy. They just aren’t that expensive.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  15. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

Gathering water from wells is my jam :)

16. Curt

Curt Avatar

There is a supposedly optional fertiliser they could make some fertilisers that if used when you originally plant the seeds the end result will be the same
    as if you had watered it perfectly.

So when planting you use a seed + bucket of water + costly? fertiliser

17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’m assuming fishing might have fertilizer. But we will have to wait for sure.

MFWalter likes this.
  18. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

It can be casual friendly if you want it to be.

Plant it, water it once and harvest whenever.
    Put the plants in a basement so that the growtimes are calculated in days rather than hours.

You have options.

19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The yield hit for missing a single watering makes growing your own crops a lossy endeavour - the fact that you must commit to certain time increments has basically made agriculture not an option for me, losing money because I had to go to work or I overslept - no thanks, don't need the extra stress from a game.

Have long felt that agriculture should be self-sustainable (ie, letting plants go to seed instead of having to buy new seeds every time). Watering should happen when it RAINS. For craps sake, it rains constantly in the game, even in the desert biome, but plants do not get wet. What? Or failing that, we've got low tech stuff (think kobolds) so..really, no irrigation system? Kobold sprinklers? Nothing?

If we approach this from any sort of "realism" angle the system is a bit ludicrous. You can essentially only be a farmer and make a profit at it if you use spreadsheets/timers/etc. to attend to your watering schedule and never miss a beat. And people do it.

I suppose if they made it so that the plant wouldn't "proceed to the next stage" until you'd watered it, to make it easier on casuals, that there'd no longer be an agriculture market (if everyone could do it with no risk). Perhaps thats the point.
    Do I think that would be a better system? Absolutely. Do I think it will ever happen here? Nope.

Arianna, FrostII, SmokerKGB and 2 others like this.
  20. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

The original post was to make agriculture casual friendly. It already is casual friendly since there is no expiry date to pick it.

There is no way the person who does plants once a week should get the same benefit to someone who plants on a schedule, doesn't miss watering and puts in the effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.