Why is that...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Violette Dyonisys its maybe a compromise, but it still is about having all skills and trees at 80, so deckswitching is still a thing i dont like for PVP.
    i want fix roles, someone is an Archer or a Heavy Armor Bludgeon guy and not both.
    sorry no time to discuss more atm.

Bambino, Fauxpas and Ronni like this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The problem with that would be that for a lot of people (including me), bringing in a class system destroys the MAIN attraction to this game. If I am forced into a class and need to buy character slots (or even just create a new character with free character slots) I would immediately sell everything I own on this account and delete the game for ever. I was not a LB fan, he isnt the one who drew me in (No Offense LB, I didnt even know who you were, I played 1 Ultima Game and UO as my fathers personnal Bot for wpodcutting). What drew me in was the classless system, the endless possibilities and swapping back and forth. I like to be able to 2H spear my way through waves, to then swap to a Bow when a Bigger mob appears, to pulling out two wands to lay a meteor shower, to the pull out a spear and shield to tank something for my group. I love the addaptability this game offers, and maybe you dont play with the right people if your group doesnt do this, but we have people who fill roles most of the time. During big hunts, we plan ahead who is going to tank and pull aggro, who is going to heal, who is taking care of distractions on bigger mobs, and who takes care of killing extra mobs. The advantageis that once someone is done with his role, he can pull out his 2nd set and become a 2nd DPS. We can try things with only one healer, and have someone swap mid fight if a second one is needed.

Take away all this adaptability, and you have taken the game away from me 100%...

3. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Avatar

4. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I think that the "soft cap" that exists now (where we simply have a minimal return on investment of XP as you go up) is one of the single greatest things they did! I absolutely love it.

Matt Harris and Elwyn like this.
  5. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

1) " The majority in this community believes and want SotA be a effort=reward game in sense of effort =time grinding and not playerskill=reward? " ~my.answer=Not time grinding - I just play the game and the effort I put in should be rewarded.
    2) " Why is that we need to have that power disparities and a not balanced playing field also casual gamers (casual=only playtime related) can fully partake in all aspects of the game? " ~my.answer=Casual gamers can partake in everything to my knowledge. Of course, somethings will take longer as they are putting in LESS effort.
    3) " Why or wherefrom comes that attitude that the guy who played/ grinded more need to be rewarded the way he is more powerfull, can make more profit in the player driven economy and it's not balanced the way everybody who plays can contribute to all systems in the game on a similar to equal level. Why? " ~my.answer=I think it's just logical that somebody who puts more in will be "more powerfull". I believe that everyone can contribute on a similar level - once similar effort has been put in to their character.
    4) " Dont come up with, ecause everything in life is so, because this is a game and not real life work or competetive sports or whatever.
    And why there are games and projects that do exactly the opposite . " ~my.answer=NA
    5) " Sea of Thieves / Fractured MMO / SWG Legends Emu (got a level 90 token when starting) for example. Why don't we have this for SotA? " ~my.answer=SoT/Fractured MMO-Haven't tried but neither looked like it was a game for me so I can't really critique this or compare. SWG EMU is an emulator - so... other games sell characters at higher levels too... but weren't you complaining about RMT? that would make this game P2W and nobody wants that...
    6) "A good example for me is the recent Make Agriculture more casual friendly discussion i started: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/make-agriculture-casual-friendly.134732/ What is the problem if i get max amount out of my crops if watering them 3 times took me longer to do and cannot be done in the actual timeframe. If i cannot login daily agriculture is just a waste, i cant sell anything for competetive Prices, i dont want or are able to compete in time, so if it takes me 4 days or even 5 to do the 3rd watering, the serious farmer already has planted a second crop and already watered it 2 or even 3 times.
    But i want to be competetive about production costs. It's still an advantage for the daily player, isnt it? But to not water 3 times in the timeframe makes agriculture just a waste of time. " ~my.answer=You've been provided with ways -such as growing indoors- that would make it take longer between waterings. Again, effort for the daily player SHOULD be rewarded. So they have an 'advantage' to the total number of crops that they grow within a time period because they are putting in more effort... but you can easily have the same 'advantage' by putting in EQUAL effort.
    7) " Why do we have this attitude when players there put down arguments like effort = reward. " ~my.answer=I think most people like to see their efforts rewarded and at the same time feel negatively about people not wanting to put in the efforts necessary for the rewards expecting EQUAL rewards.
    8) " I do make a (bad) assumption, but i'd be glad you can counter that argument. It comes all from RMT, because if things would be easy to get and for everybody then all looses value. Everybody can get what he want and the gare is not about interacting in the first line, not about interdependencies of players playing together (cooperative and competetive), but it's mostly about grind and progress. " ~my.answer=NA
    9) " It's in it's core design not about playing a game, but creating value for almost everything. If you arent able to put the effort in, buy it. Is that the cause SotA is setup like it is? " ~my.answer=I think the same could be said for everything... if you don't want to invest any time or effort into something - don't bother with it.
    10) " I am more and more thinking they dont created a game in the first place, but tried to create another RMT Hub. " ~my.answer=NA
    11) " Please reconsider making a game for everybody where everybody is able to fully partake in all aspects of the game. Even the competetive parts like PvP and Economy. Why not? What is the cause it needs to be the way it is? " ~my.answer=NA
    12) " Grinding is not gaming . At least to me. A free skillsystem and optional quests dont make a sandbox. " ~my.answer=I've played since 2015 and still haven't spent any time grinding. I progress through playing the game and using the open skills system to create my sandbox of RPG fun. When I'm not having fun... I log off and go watch some "Rick & Morty".
    13) " A sandbox RPG has characters playing/fulfilling roles, there exist interdependencies and needs. Good Roleplay consists of powers, but also weaknesses of a character. Why dont you want as many players as possible and if you want them, why Design the game the way that it's more or less only about grinding, RMT and self sustainbability? " ~my.answer=I believe that different roles do exist, and are used, but maybe not to the extent that everybody is happy. I don't believe that EVERYONE will EVER be happy.
    14) " I just dont get it why they decided it this way and weren't able to make it a success . Because SotA beeing a success is still on hold imo. And thats bad :( " ~my.final.comments=Success is measured differently by different people. A lot of backers were tired of the same old game and wanted something different. A lot of games took time to become "successful" and I think this game will age nicely with time as long as the actual BUGS are dealt with.

Elwyn and kaeshiva like this.
  6. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

Again.. grind all you want... But a MMO is so much more. So much community aspect, so much continual development, so more forward progress. Go grind. I can't tell you that is wrong. That is just what I don't want to do in a 1,000 hells of fire.

Bambino, Stundorn and Elwyn like this.
  7. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

why is my posting not showing up? [edit this one does but not the one i worked on some more ... please what is happening?]

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Well, you are pretty much gonna do the same in any game you play right (if you read what I posted).

Did you ever play super mario brothers?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Go into the add on store and tell me what you see, dance party stuff (including outfits, deco, housing) or wep and armor templates...

10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Yeah, since the intent is for "player crafted" gear to be the best, I feel like bosses should have a chance to drop crafting ingredients that could be used for making better gear. I realize that this would take dev time to implement and balance. But I also realize that if this happens, not only will those unable to solo the bosses feel second-rate to the elite few who can, but the bosses will simply get endlessly farmed if there is no rate limit, and a high chance of drop, and farmed even harder with a low chance of drop. At least we can get private instances so that nobody can monopolize rare-drop bosses.

Maybe a tokened instance battle system similar to BCNMs in FFXI would be a good thing. (Bound tokens that you get regularly during normal PvE are used to buy instance entry tokens to boss fights.)

Dance parties have been used as load tests to find and fix performance problems that affect the game as a whole. People used to complain whenever someone cast Healing Rain, but thanks to dance parties, it is no longer a problem.

That was also one thing I liked about FFXI. By the time I quit I had every class at cap, and every combat skill at its highest possible cap. You still needed alts for inventory, and for some people, crafting too. I wouldn't have been happy if SotA was "one class per character", but what really drew me in with SotA was no bleeping world shards. It should scale to 1M+ players, though the town instancing would get crazy long before that.

I have 16M pool partly because I feel "good enough" for now, and partly as a balance between keeping the "death penalty" down, while having plenty of XP to pay it.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Some do.

12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Understandable, but exactly this is what dont made it a RICH ROLEPLAYING GAME , but a min maxing progress oriented game to me.

13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Already done with bone armor.
    Hardcore wearing patterned bone armor and farmed Dragons solo and switch between mmo and FMO to have faster respawn.
    This "grind" method was discussed a year ago and afaik it's still the method to do, if you need the parts.
    I think this is bad designed gameplay.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I quoted it very often.
    Do you think +29% bonus of base damage between bladed combat 100 and 140 (~52 Million XP) is minimal?
    Skill 100 needs 1,2 Millions
    Skill 140 needs 53,x Millions and it's +29% damage .
    That's regarding pvp NOT a minimal return!!!

Aeryk likes this.
  15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

16. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Avatar

You could easily squeeze in a crafting skill or two in a treasure hunter build. I have encountered many.

As for Mage Tamer. Which Tamer does not use Magery in UO lol? Also some of the more pvp orientated Tamers have a very good balance of both Magery and Taming skill in which case Magery is more than just an assistance skill but also can be used for good dps.

17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

You dont get what i said .
    You cant be a Mage Tamer and a Master Crafter or and a Master fighter ...
    Just because you are limited to 700 points.
    Simple as that.
    In SotA there is no like restriction, so you can be fill out all roles you want.
    I dont like that it's anti ROLEplay to me, because i can get into any role instantly.

18. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Hm this is the one of the biggest problems, generally, 85% of 100+ characters who make boss hunting should be permabanned (YES its all "famous" and "respectable" avatars, you can see it on many twitchs how they exploiting system or go to the main markets and check vendors with boss loots, 85% that owner of such vendor use this exploit), becouse this type of boss respawn when you avatars spawns on the same place where it was(near the boss) in new instance - its not a feature its an exploit, but by some reason Port afraid to ban those people, I can say my thoughts about reason but would not do it, because I`m afraid of being warned.

P.S. The only way to farm bosses faster which should be allowed when you put alts in different friends mode instances and just manually exit/enter location by the main avatar, and go into new instance where your alt is already staying. (there is no zone respawn, so no exploiting here)
    P.S.S There is cannot be any compromise, Chris should just sit and ban all those guys without any regrets and early warnings.

19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

It was a thing about a year or longer ago.
    Nothing happened , once they said it's an exploit, then it was argued, it's intended...
    I dont know, what i know is thst it is somewhat lame Design imo :p

I made allways suggestions to make bosses rare and not soloable (online) and what not , but all my arguing now and in the past is not very welcomed here.
    Most players who like it more the way i would like it are gone, like i was gone, but i actually try to return to SotA and find compromises and fun to play.

Spinok likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.