Why is that...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyin

Cyin Avatar

I keep seeing these threads that state Sota really needs hard caps. Unless something major has changed and I was under a rock, we have hard caps. I don't think you can level a skill past the level of 200. Now you may not like how large the cap is but to say it does not exist is disingenuous.

2. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Less about skill cap per skill and more about skill cap per character.

3. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

With as frequently as it has been argued, AND explained what "hard cap" means, it could be said that claiming there is one in SotA is disingenuous.

Bambino likes this.
  4. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

That could be an interessting solution.

Bambino likes this.
  5. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

That is what people have been talking about with regards to skill cap.

Do it the way UO did, if only by increasing the number of points that can be applied altogether (especially with needing to put upwards of 1k skill points into most trees to GM the skills within).

Vaiden Luro, Bambino and Gorthyn like this.
  6. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Uh... Stun. It only takes 7Million XP to go from 100 to 120. It is a 1x skill. That is VERY easy to achieve, especially with all of the double XP events that happen these days. If you're a melee or ranged player, and don't have your main weapon skill at or near 120, you're really doing yourself a disservice. I really think you ought to be looking at how much the damage increase is from 120 to 140, because that is where the real hurt is on going any higher. You're looking at this all wrong. What is the difference in overall damage increase from 120 to 140? like 13%? That's not that big of a deal, when that person had to put nearly 47 million into it to get that 13% (or whatever it is).

So yes. I still like it a lot, and I feel like this is a VERY appropriate return on investment as you go up. GM for a 1X skill should definitely not be considered the place to stop, especially if you've specialized in that particular tree, and enjoy the 25% death decay thing for the tree.

7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Why have skill caps... seriously... you are limited by your bar... PERIOD...

As an example. Lets look at everyone's warm fuzzy memories in UO.

I had 4-5 chars in UO that all did radically different things. I had a pure crafter... I named her pure gold so that the stuff said "made by pure gold", I was a young college student, give me a break). I had a PvP toon that ran around in a robe with a deadly poisoned Kryss and was loaded up with dex and stealth. I had a pure mage... etc... etc... etc...

So tell me what the difference is of having 5 alts vs having 5 different combat bars with completely different skills on the same char...

seriously, someone tell me the difference.

You cap skills in SOTA and Im gonna fire up 5 alts. Actually... Id probably quit because I would have to grind 4 more toons up with a ton of repetitive skills. I have one alt now only because Im forced to grind yellow lines endlessly (for example, Im going through 30K wood pulp right now)

Keeps the caps, think about this people....

In SOTA right now for tears run I have 4 full builds. 1) Archer build 2) Bludge build 3) Sword build 4) pole-arm build. Dont force me to fire up alts.

Seems to me that it maintains a far better social presence for people to be able to play one character with that characters actual social reputation. When I log in my alt... no one even knows who I am even in my own guild. When Im on Starman, everyone knows me (and most dislike me because I can be brutal here on the forums... but I really dont care lol).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  8. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

WOW.. Spot on you said exactly what I was going to, well not exactly, because you explained it much better then I ever could....

9. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Wow. You are straight up crazy if you think these people should be permanently banned. This is a thing that has been in the game for ages, and hundreds have done this. I am not even ashamed in the LEAST to say that I have joined parties doing this. HELL... I even did this to farm sheep carcasses in the middle of Owl's Head! What the hell are you talking about? Permabanned. Jesus, man. If they did not want this thing to happen, they would have stopped it from happening ages ago. This is literally something that 50% of the player base has done at some point or another for almost two YEARS now.

WOW.

Veronique of Lowlands and Elwyn like this.
  10. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Yeah. I have noticed that every time Shimi speaks, it is as if it is coming right from my own heart/brain.

11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

I've been thinking on this, and in the end, the only ones that benefit from having a hardcap in the game are those who like to multi-box, and Port.

Multi-boxers, because if you have to specialize, why not have multiple accounts, so you can have one instance running where you are running with a combat character, doing whatever, while you have a second running with a crafter, creating batches of components, refining larger batches of material, or making batches of finished products. Having a hard cap of some sort promotes the need for multiple characters at the very least, and more likely (in this instance) multiple accounts.

Port, because those of us who haven't already paid for extra character slots via pledges, can buy them from the add on store. That, or you can buy another account key and use that.

The biggest use to a hard cap would be to provide a framework around which you craft your character build, so someone can't just run UT for a few weekends with some friends and get enough XP to give their character ALL the benefits possible from all schools/skill sets. Instead, you would have to choose what skills would work best for the way you want to play your character within that hard-capped framework, as it did in UO.

12. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

Many people seem to be confused as to what makes a system classless. The same people keep claiming that you must be able to grind into every skill tree to have a classless system. Classless does mean that you must be given the option to infinitely level throughout every tree in the game. Especially when requiring players to do this (Stats-Magic Trees-Shield). This is far from wrong.

It can also mean that you make diligent decisions as you pick and choose how to distribute an experience pool with a maximum threshold. As @Mykll said, "Less about skill cap per skill and more about skill cap per character."

Also, with the amount of time it takes to grind and level into everything the games has to offer, there is no need for multiple avatars unless you RP.

Vaiden Luro, Hornpipe and Gorthyn like this.
  13. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

@kaeshiva: "its THAT EASY to level now, easier than ever before."

No idea where you are drawing this conclusion besides from the recent addition of UT. Even at that, your statement still wouldn't add up. Mobs have been nerfed. There is now a an XP cap per hour, and it use to be higher. You use to be able to camp control points with pets. Not to mention all the people that macroed it in private instances for hours and never had their experience wiped. This is besides the point though.

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't agree at all. A RPG is about taking on a role in a world, having limits to both your role and what you can do in the world, making choices with respect to them, and having realistic consequences to those choices.

Its not infinitely grinding numbers higher, which is in the end what you mean by "character development." I would argue more broadly that skill and stat development as a whole is pretty inconsequential to role-playing in the big picture, since you can have a really strong RPG without that stuff. You can have interesting gameplay with choices and consequences and all that without stat development. But it can be a component of role-playing. Yet, still, in so far as this game goes, as far as I'm concerned, all skill and stat development means is going into a scene and grinding stuff.

So I agree with your desire for role-playing, and a 'living world', and I also have no problem with progress in the game taking a while. But the game is *weak* in a lot of the traditional aspects of role-playing that were in the Ultima games. A lot of choices are inconsequential. You don't make up for that weakness by just making certain things a long time.

But I also agree with some of what you're saying, and would also describe those "concessions" you're talking about as part of what make the game grindy. Going into a scene and farming easy respawns for an hour to get massive XP gain, or to get massive amounts of gold, or farming resources, is the kind of thing that makes the game grindy. You're competing with 100s of other players who are also farming respawns. It does nothing to solve any of the basic weaknesses in the game.

Stundorn, Fauxpas and Bambino like this.
  15. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

1) What 50% of player base do ? 20+ dragons or trawls per hour ? Nobody speak about guys who made it 10 times in their life I speak about guys who constantly do this for making profits in RMT game. Any RMT economy should have same transparent rules for all only in this case it will be healthy
    Rules say this:
    "Some examples that will be cause for immediate and permanent ban from the game are
    - Gold/item generation via automated systems (BOTing, increasing spawn rates, etc.)"

With scene loading times, the practice of respawning location when you don't enter/exit scene ( just refresh it when you stay near boss spawn) looks definitely like gold generation via increasing spawn rates via almost automated system.

2) When Chris ban guys for botting if I understand right he bans the most active users, same will work here.
    3) We speak so much about casual and hardcore gamers, nerf hardcore gamers nerf att nerf crits and etc, btw casual gamer rarely have an alt. But hardcore respawning of bosses stay the same for years and poison economy for years. As crafter I like cheap prices but absolutely against this kind of respawning.

16. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

I want a living breathing story filled with other players that have made a role for themselves with time, effort and personal choice.

if you are happy with being assigned a tiny role in a grand story why begrudge others who yearn to make a role that is more than that for themselves over the life time of the story.

its surprising and somewhat sad that so many role players are dead set against playing a character that can grow and change over time versus being a static character that can never grow or change.

Aeryk and Helvig Ingvildsdottir like this.
  17. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I'm pretty sure they'd have to tell people that switching modes to be able to kill things faster is not intended, and is not allowed before something that extreme. It really is nuts, what you're saying. I do not ever remember any sort of announcement that doing this is against some rule. And why does it matter if some people have done it 20,000 times, and others, (like me, and the many many others) several hundred? Where do you draw the line? You can't. If they don't want people doing this, they need to make it so that the mode switch takes 3 to 5 minutes, which they will (and should) never do.

18. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Truly, the best way to handle this thing about people "farming dragons," is to make it so that they will not drop much unless you have a daily quest that tells you to go hunt one. Daily quests, man... Some people don't like 'em, but they honestly take care of many of the game's current woes with people farming content that seems odd to be farmed.

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  19. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Locations like Ruined Keep could help too. I really like it, generally no need to respawn troll now, but for sure somebody can respawn keep. Would be great to have a Ruined keep type locations for every boss type.

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  20. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I can't disagree with that. I love the current format of the Ruined Keep. A lot of fun for a couple of higher level characters.

Vaiden Luro and Spinok like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.