Why is that...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Avatar

Before AOS there was a time you can Explosion + EB combo with a Halberd hit following up to end things. After AOS You have Spell Channeling weapon where many skilled pvp players took the advantage of mastering Fencing and spam Magics at the same time. They were extremely effective and they definitely have "mastered" both fighter skill as well as mage skills.

As for Tamer just as I have mentioned some players have planned out a balanced points distribution where they can both control Greater Dragon and casting very potent hard to resist dps magic (most of people give up on meditation however it does not make their spells less deadly).

Even with the skill cap limitations majority of the players in UO still tried their best to think outside box with the tools they are given to break the traditional only one role at a time status quo.

UO has to cap players at 720 points because there is no Deck system. Therefore some restrictions are needed with how many skill you can learn. Before you say swapping deck in SOTA is just a click of a button, well it is more complicated than that and I suggest you to actually play the game to find out the disadvantages of switching your deck to a completely different set of skills/gears. The Deck system perfectly compliments the soft cap/no cap system in SOTA but that is a topic for another time. Again if you try to play the game you'll probably get it.

Sometimes I wonder did you actually play UO or SOTA?

Vaiden Luro, Dhanas and Elwyn like this.
  2. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

I thought grinding was what you do at dance parties.

3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Nope, they are lvl 128 lol... (actually 2 of them, husband and wife who solo tears together)

Spoon likes this.
  4. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Lvl 120 is over 840 million xp and keeps increasing exponentially further. There is no way they earned that xp in the past two months (which is when we've had double exp) and certainly not prior and no way in 4-5 months without some DEV help.

Edit: Just for clarity, another 8 levels past 120 would be about another 800+ million exp... so it would mean they'd have to earn 1.6 BILLION adventure exp in 4-5 months, which is why it's hard to swallow. Maybe if that number is inflated by +adv level gear and +adv lvl shrine buff I could see it, that would be somewhere closer to where our guildie is and I know he's a grinding machine. Not saying you're lying Starman, I just think there is more to this story than whats being told.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Vaiden Luro likes this.
  5. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

From Adv. Level 1 to 128 that's around 1.8 Bil. adventure points.
    If they managed to do continuesly 1.5 Mil per hour, and play, lets say, 8 hrs a day 7 days a week 30 days a month for 5 months than they have 1.8 Bil XP points and Lvl 128.

Aeryk and Vaiden Luro like this.
  6. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Well the system is clearly not finished and as for base support there is hardly any given the numbers of people actually playing the game which would suggest that a number of changes are needed in a variety of areas, this being one of them.

Vaiden Luro and Bambino like this.
  7. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

And how would they manage 5 months of that "1.5 mil" per hour though? There hasn't been that many double exp days, let alone 5 months worth of it or a place you can earn 1.5 mil per hour, as far as i know... higher tier control points are closer, but still distant compared to recent Upper Tears. I'm thinking maybe its just stacking +adv level buffs, like up to +32 Adv level from (shrine buff +4, one of the necklaces civ or warlock +5, lute of inspiration, +5, cabalist fastus hood +10, and if they're one of the quartermasters of blood bay, one of those +8 adv level weapons). So you could get all that being a natural Adv Level 96... but thats not really the same as earning or having the power of a natural adv. lvl 128. 1.8 billion xp... That's a tremendous amount of experience to earn in such a short window of time. Besides, I think Chris already said there were very, very few around 120 or past it and I don't believe they were fairly new players. Seems like they'd be flagged earning so much in so little time.

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The amount of players i've been misunderstood and arguing here,
    The thing that this is not my motherlanguage and dont know how to explain better is exhausting me like the grind .
    I just could facepalm. (sorry no insult)

What else i'm talking about for years?

Ok not pick a role, build your role you like, but not all roles, but only one role!!!!

God...

It somehow sounds insulting to me, but i agree. That it is, because i'm a RPvPer, i'm for some time a competetive player who cant and dont want "to put effort in it endlessly " or of the amount Port ask for.
    I want no leveling, no vertical progress at all the best ( like Sea of Thieves ), because i only like the sandbox RPvP gameplay.
    I can go through a levelprocess if there is one with an end i can reach in a healthy amount of time by playing the game, not by grinding UT 24/7 or get everything handed or get pulled by highlevels.
    If there is something to "earn" i want to earn it by myself. But i'm not going to put that amount of time into grinding Port asks for.
    I would continue to complain even if it's 0,1%
    You dont get the Point.

Have fun - Stun

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Vaiden Luro and Bambino like this.
  9. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

The best way to approach this game is to view it as your own adventure, while others are also on their own adventure. It's your own journey, your path, your own little world that you create. Don't worry about how far advanced others are. Make goals for yourself everyday and enjoy the growth process as you achieve those milestones.

Vaiden Luro and Jaesun like this.
  10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Agree, it's the only way i can enjoy this.
    My Problem i have other games for that, what i was or i am looking for is a Roleplay related PvP Sandbox.

Therefore i agreed to @Jefe above

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

This is new to me, can you explain how it is actually . Everybody gets same xp in the group? So if i go with 2 or even 5 and kill 1 Mob who gives 1000xp how is this 1000xp divided up for 2, 3,...5???

I sure missed some if the adjustments and fixes. I made a thread about Buffs and i see they changed it to what i lik and asked for over a year ago. Do you remember the same discussions, with same arguments , "if i want to buff and skill all i should be able to..." against "it makes no sense it's too much to run with 14+ buffs" talk?
    And it was nerfed, like movement speed, like many other things in this direction.

I'm still convinced that capping skills at 100 and limiting trees or how it was spelled above a max amount of xp thst can go into skills in total to build your role is more interesting for many players who have left or haven't joined until, because they see no balance between hardcore grinders and those who are not hardcore grinders and want to be "ready" and finished any progress about character development. Not against grinding Reputation or grinding mats or whatever you want to grind, but as someone who want to add the competetive part for RP purposes with less time and exhausting on repetetive gameplay (grind) i'm just disappointed with the way we have it.
    I like this idea , would be an incentive to grind for that City to get lower Prices at Vendors or lower tax for taxed Deeds or whatever.

About the Alt's and having not all skills on one single Character i want to say that normally (except multiboxing) your Character then is limited while playing and cannot fulfill all roles at any time. I like that more, but i agree i dont play alt's i create one archetype i want to play and this it is.

@EMPstrike was it that thread, idk? :)
    You said you made that Air Archer build and cannot fight everywhere because of resistancies .
    Isnt thst great if all suffer from having weaknesses and need to cooperate or have a real incentive to buy stuff they cannot get by themself ?
    That's what i want. People who are Undead Killers but unable to kill an Earth Elementar or vice versa Players that can kill Earth Elementars , but never be able to kill an Air Elementar. That is what i think i key for good "role " play.
    That's the interdependencies i talk about.
    Everybody can kill human Bandits, but for the rest some can do this, but nit that and others can do that, but not this.
    To me this is "roleplay" in a gamemechanics sense.
    Imo the highly versatile and self sufficient characters we have are anti Roleplay and anti MMO purposes. This game has the possibility to be very unique about this, but the i can do it all, it just depends on time grinding destroy it for me.
    As i said very long time ago, the possibility to be able to skill all and everything and in combination of beeing interested in PvP and RP feels more like a border to me than freedom.
    The duty of having to skill fire i dont want to use (accepting i cannot kill Trolls, i did, but i lost identification with my watermage back in the days using a fire build. Same for Dearhshield when i wanted to be a water, Air and Life mage, some sort of Stormcaller and Healer maybe) , but i need to level because of resistancies.

Edit: ok i forgot something.

Limited by the deck someone said.
    Ok swapping decks in a pvp Situation is maybe not wise, but i made a thread about this here.
    Isn't it combined with the very low "get out of combat time" we now have much easier to switch decks via getting out of combat and use a hotkey?
    I admit i havent tried and it's theorycrafting .

12. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

I'm with you, with my short exymple I just wanted to demonstrate that it is hardly possible to do that without going nuts....:eek:;) I think it is more like you described above...

Vaiden Luro and Brugas like this.
  13. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

We never will be on the same boat I guess. I dont think that XP Cap's has something to do with roles or role playing.
    I've picked already my role and I'm still building it according to my desires, and it is just one role belive me, my Avatar is far from beeing schizophrenic ;)

14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Good some 100 people like it and have fun.
    Hopefully a long time so that i maybe can sell my Deeds.
    Until i wait for the minimal chance the game goes more into the direction i'd like.

15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Btw.

If leveling to 140 or whatever is done at a weekend and not comparable anymore to former times, where is the effort new players need to do what is so important in your math of effort = reward.
    Arent highlevels pissed if someone can get to where they need to put 5000 hours in and now it's done in 50 or 500 hours?
    That makes the whole thing obsolete.
    I wait for Ep2 maybe when everybody gets a Portion to level you up instantly to Adv Level 100 :p
    Just kidding, but can you see where i'm coming from?
    If it gets easier and easier the whole effort = reward thing doesnt work out anymore, right?

This was allways the case with system like that. People joining in a year maybe get to Level 100 in 2 days.

I remember the first WoW Addon when easy to get gear was stronger than a set people grindet Raids for Month for .

I bet the same will happen here and even
    more like it already does with UT and CP's before.
    Just weak gamedesign if it's all about grind and xp/hr .

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  16. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

So you may need to rethink your approach is what I am saying. You are asking for the entire game play system to change to accommodate a subset of the gameplay of this game. Since you have suggested the same thing repeatedly of remove vertical progress and received push back, maybe start thinking of different ways to reach your goal. From my side, I see you asking for progression removal, getting push back, and then asking for the same thing from a slightly different angle.

Possible suggestions to try to get you to where you want to be might be...

1. Request a dynamic arena-only effect that allows you to apply a set number of skill levels to players prior to entering the arena. Maybe with the ability to export/import templates so you can quick set. I.E. have pieces of paper that specify quick builds. Port could possibly make a starter template set named according to virtues (as they specified base class in the olden days).

2. Request an effect that refactors your visible spent experience to a ratio of what it is to match an arena experience count. The effect would then adjust your skills to match the ratio of where you are spent experience-wise to the arena count. Say an arena allows a cap of 10 million xp. If you have spent 20 million xp on your adventurer skills, it would adjust each of your skills to be where they would be if you had half of your available experience or a ratio of 1:2. A 10 million arena with a player with 5 million earned would receive a 2:1 ratio and thus be boosted up. There could be different arenas that define different caps, or uncapped for those that like it the way it is.

3. Request an arena where you choose an animal to polymorph into and can fight other players as animals/monsters. Stats and abilities would be adjusted to what the animal has.

4. Request an arena where you can fight as your summonable pet. This might include elemental summons as well as tamed summons.

5. For giggles, you might ask for Darkstarr's Farm of Doom which turns a player into a random animal from squirrel to ferocious red spider to duke it out. Dying causes random polymorph again.

The idea being, the best way to achieve your goal may be to think of alternate ways to get to it as suggestions instead of asking for the same thing in a slightly different manner in a different thread. Plus, ideas presented will take a while for Portalarium to implement and they may sometimes not give you any direct indication they are working on it until it was done.

I.E. a good while back, I asked for a wood scraps to wood pulp recipe. I never received a, "that's a good idea." One day, the recipe showed up. I tend to post a suggestion and then move on to the next. The devs do read the forums. Ultimately, they are the decision makers that decide if it gets into the game. They are looking for ways to make the players enjoy the game, but also looking for suggestions that could be easily implemented within their software architecture. One possible avenue to suggest may be to have a Q&A session with the PvP community to come up with a stretch goal to get something like the above, or another idea implemented to get PvP closer to what the community wants.

Aeryk, Vaiden Luro, Brugas and 2 others like this.
  17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Jefe as i said the capped pvp scenes are maybe a thing i can go with as a compromise.

It's still a bit immersion breaking to me to have it limited by scene and not in general.

But i get your point and i'm open for alternatives and compromises.

Aeryk, Vaiden Luro and Brugas like this.
  18. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Tried to poorly steer things back to what you and most "cap peeps" mean when talking caps.

Elwyn and Stundorn like this.
  19. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

You're essentially telling everyone in the forums that you'll complain for virtually no reason.

20. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

a cap to skills in PvP zones is a great idea that has been suggested in the past. No idea why that has not happened across the board in all PvP scenes to be honest. It solves like 50,000 problems all at once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.