Why is that...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i just tested how fast you can switch between 10 decks via hotkey and theorycrafted how bad or good , depending on their personal PoV that for PvP is, but even if not , maybe some PvPers can exlpain why this is not a good idea @Envy maybe?
    there is still the Resistancies thing.

you dont PvP right?

It's sometimes exactly this amount of damage what makes the difference. Ok 0,1% is exxageration, but you know what i want to say. 1% is too much, if i think of a crit for example.

2. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

You're correct. I don't PvP. This is why I mentioned the cap thing, though... Because I do understand where you're coming from on THAT particular point. I still think a person's actual skill and knowledge of game mechanics is going to trump any single digit percent in anything, but yeah... all things being equal, that could make a tiny difference. Enough to turn the tide in a battle. Rarely.

3. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

the whole issue regarding pvp imo boils down to, not having the satisfaction of losing or winning on a level field. so its either "haha ive beaten you with all your fancy 120+ skills with my 100s" or it is "you just won because you have x of y more". i dont think that issue matters a lot in open pvp, since there a lot of factors come into play other than pure playerskill and levels (like groups and so on).

for 1 on 1 i still regard, pre publ16 mage 5x, to be the purest duelling format, where only playerskill (knowledge (fastcast, spell cancelling..), timing (disturbing, poison-harm lock,..), ability to stay calm ;) and so on) mattered (and ping but thats not avoidable).

Defiance UOR had this for example:
    signup stones attached to pvp arenas, would have settings where you could adjust what is allowed and what not... as in pots/no pots, 5x or 7x, spellreflect yes or no... you get the idea.
    once both agreed with the settings, theyve been teleported to the arena.

something similar could work here i guess and shouldnt be too hard to implement.

my 2 cents not having pvped in SotA yet.

4. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

The fact you are tagging Envy shows that you are not in the pvp scene from a while also if I never seen you pvping.
    Switching deck during combat is not a problem, since there is limit given by specialization, you can switch beteween the deck you want ( without considering that while you are switching you are an easy target because it takes around 3 sec) but you cannot be many things in the same time. Let me make an example, let's suppose I am specialized in fire and death, I have a deck full fire, a deck full death, and deck mixed fire-death. I see my PVP opponent is weak to fire and resistant to death, i can switch between during fight ( if i am able to do it), but It's no sense I switch to sword+heavy armor for example, because I am not as a good as someone who specialized in the correct specialization for doing it.
    Roles in group PVP are realy important, I fought many times in group with specific roles vs groups with no roles and I can assure you that it makes the difference. A group with a dedicated healer, a PVP tank and different kind of dps is much more stronger than a group of casuals All-in-one characters.
    There are several top pvpers specialized in a specific build, all of them are much more competitive than generalists.

PS:Opalis Ruin is a PVP capped zone to level 80. I've a pure warrior alt level 80 ables to win most of pvp fights without the need of leveling up any skills to 140 or having all schools to level 100 (I have no attunement at all).
    If you want to prove otherwise I invite you to fight it, you should blame the poor skill in building a character and decks instead of blaming the game. There are people in my guild with a dozen hours of play with a good setting and gear that can compete pretty well in pvp situations.

My suggestion is to test things you're talking about, before expressing sentences and spreading misinformation in the forum (I'm not just referring to this thread).

Elwyn and Stundorn like this.
  5. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

There are so many PvPing right now. Walk into Opalis Ruins, and you can find PvP at any given time. All joking aside, switching decks with no chance of interruption is a huge issue. It should be interruptible. Specializing matters, but not enough to throw you into two exclusive roles. Either way, Envy would have been the last person to ask.

6. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

It is interruptible, you can stun/mezmerize/knockdown him while switching.

7. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

No, a solid interruption like you can interrupt a spell. It's not possible.

8. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

What do you mean? Stuns, and others cc are ways to interrupt spells. Here doesn't exist a skill based on "interrupt" regardless of the swapping deck.
    We are not arguing about the needing of an interrupt in SOTA, but about swapping deck, and it is interruptible in the mentioned ways.

About the Opalis Ruin question, I think we all should ask why there is no one there, since "so many ppl want caps", and in that zone there are caps.

9. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

There is nothing to argue. It is not interrupted, those are CC attacks. When you cast a spell it can be interrupted. You can RP that deck switching interrupts exist, but they don't.

Regarding your comment on Opalis. Everyone is grinding away in UT to even bother. After all, they will be hitting harder and casting spells more effectively when they are done. What level are you now? 120?

10. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

CC attacks are ways to interrupt casting as @Dhanas said.
    I think these people will be disappointed when they discover that passing the 90-100 level will not give any notable benefit to their pvp performance :D
    Level 104 here, no skills over level 100 ;)

PS: Spending the time training, testing and fixing their decks/build could give much more benefit to their pvp performance.

Elwyn, Aeryk, Uncle Ben and 2 others like this.
  11. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Well, they are fools if they think grinding UT make them stronger in PVP tbh. The only way to be stronger in PVP is doing PVP. the circle is: Fight ---> lose ---> fix your problem ---->come back again
    regardless of your level, skill lvl, etc.

Elwyn, Uncle Ben and elvenking like this.
  12. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

What a supportive couple. ;) Both of you miss the point. You can stop spell casting in the same manner with CC. However, you cannot interrupt a deck swap in the same manner that you you can interrupt spells. Another issue is how fast the swap takes place - you can go from any mage build to any tank build with the snap of a finger.

You can lie all you want about going beyond 100 not impacting your damage/skill effectiveness, but all you have to do is look at the base damage modifiers.

Stundorn likes this.
  13. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I can interrupt a deck swapping in the same manner i do with spells if the target is switching equip/deck since there is a casting time in this case.
    I don't need to lie, i'm one of the top pvper in the game and i have no skill over 100, it's the facts that speak and the diminishing returns that is in the game design.
    I'm not here to support anyone if not find a solution to the misinformation that I read lately on the forum, people should read objective opinions and not the reflection of purely personal experiences.

elvenking and Violette Dyonisys like this.
  14. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

So am I fool because I have not skills beyond 100? Do you see me being not competitive vs people with skill 100+? We already talked about it lot of times in discord, seems like you don't want to hear this, I am just trying to help and spread correct info around, since I noticed some people have problems doing PVP and claim for hard caps.

You should both go to Opalis ruin and test your ability, I can be there too if you like :)

Uncle Ben likes this.
  15. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

Yah, as a top PvPer, and a forum ambassador, you need to test some more and at least read the tool-tips. That is far from the case. Taking all this from experience of course. All people have to do is test what was mentioned, then read in-game tool tips. To anyone questioning this, don't take my word for it. Simply take a look for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2018
  16. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

[​IMG]

Example: Stone Arrow gets 2-3 base damage leveling it up from 100 to 120 at the cost of 16kk+ experience.

PS; I'm here explaining how things work for that, i test and do pvp daily ;)

Uncle Ben likes this.
  17. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

[​IMG]
    Thanks Stun!

You need something more representative of this conversation. Not to mention, magic has been addressed for the most part after negative attunement was flattened. Combat, positive attunement, and stats have yet to be addressed.

Stundorn likes this.
  18. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

You should check how Combat skills work in this case, here we're talking about 54kk+ xp for around 30% more auto-attack/manual attack damage.

19. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

What I think @Bambino means when he/she says you can't interupt deck swapping like you can spell casting is the Damage factor. Hit someone hard enoigh and you break his casting concentration, but not his deck swapping concentration.

Now I wonder, Stundorn, and Bambino, do you guys pvp at all? Like serious pvp? Because clearly @Anthrax Artek is one of the best PvPers out there, and consodering he has no skills higher than 100, I think that speaks volumes in terms of the tool tips. Yes, you can grind for weeks and get a +29% dmg output on your skills, but run into someone like Anthrax and he will demolish you because PvP is about skill and not about levels when you reach GM, especially in an Area like Opalis.

Ohh and btw I'm not saying this because I'm buddies with Anthrax, Im saying this out of respect for his PvP skill, as even Chris has attested to Anthrax's talent. Me and Anthrax have never really gotten along on forums, but I can still recognize that.

elvenking and Dhanas like this.
  20. mccpx

mccpx Avatar

But 100 attunement and 120 attunement also adds onto that 2-3, which gets multiplied by crits, and Earth arrow wand, and by spell damage % and spell crit damage %, and by that point we're not talking about 2-3 we're talking about 40-80 extra per attack.

Base damage is just one of many multipliers, don't act like that tooltip is in a vacuum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.