Item recipes, stats, and other info

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Tiina Onir, Apr 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Just found out about it last night, in fact. Extremely useful!

For those who don't know the command /loctrack causes your location to be constantly displayed in the upper left corner. Much easier then using /loc repeatedly.

Sara Dreygon and Fenrus MacRath like this.
  2. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Okay, Hidden Vale should now be done. That should leave just Drachvald, Regalis, North Paladis, and Norguard.

Like I said I would, I've been slacking for double XP. That said, I have started to figure out the next code improvement: self-configuration, healing, and monitoring. I'm going to be using a pair of software packages called Consul and ContainerPilot. I have to do a little rewriting of the startup scripts for Consul; they use some BASH specific syntax and I'd rather stick with Busybox if I can avoid pulling in BASH. While this is a huge improvement for my workflow, it's not something users will notice. It does open the door for the scheduled tasks (like automatic updating of the search index) and migrating the SSL certs to Let's Encrypt.

3. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Okay, I have all the regions except Drachvald done. Maybe that will happen next week? I did add a listing of items which are re-teachable/discoverable, as @Warrior B'Patrick, indicated at least he would find it useful. It still needs work, and integrated into the rest of the site, but there it is.

At that point I'm completely back to doing back-end work. Another thing these changes will facilitate is making the tracking of new items much easier (I should be able to see them added via the API). Unfortunately it's been slow going, so I don't know when they'll be done. That said, I do feel like I'm getting close.

4. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings @Tiina Onir, Thank you for adding the How Learned category. This will help a lot of new avatars decide if it is discoverable or must have recipe. Also helps to know what are drop only.

5. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

at the moment, it only shows which ones are re-teachable/discoverable.

6. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Been busy with the lead-up to and follow out of sotacon, it was great fun though. I'm going to help out with next year. I'm presently in the process of moving my website work to the new laptop.

I've gotten one of the new dungeon recipes, which I'll be adding tonight, and one older recipe I just didn't have. I also found 3 vendors which have suspect locations:
    Code:
     id  |   vname    |           vtype           |       name       | x | y | z

-----+------------+---------------------------+------------------+---+---+---

397 | James Lowe | Butcher                   | Central Brittany | 0 | 0 | 0

362 |            | Fishing Supplies Merchant | Brittany Fields  | 0 | 0 | 0

183 |            | Obsidian Researcher       | Vertas           | 0 | 0 | 0
    I'll investigate them tonight.

EDIT: okay, I have added 9 dungeon blueprints and recipes, including where they can be obtained. There's still a lot more to do on that front, but I have to actually GET them. Still need to check those vendor locations. Did get things setup to do proper maintenance from my gaming laptop.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Sara Dreygon and Sentinel2 like this.
  7. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

FINALLY, the update I've been working on (it seems like) forever is done:
    1. Everything is now on Kubernetes. This should make updates even easier, and makes some of the improvement I've been wanting to do possible.
    2. The downside though, that means location of pages has changed. That said, old links should redirect automatically (please, message me if you see one that doesn't!).
    3. The new CSS should make things look a lot better (ie be usable at all) on small screens like cellphones. Hopefully that will help anyone using one screen to look things up on said devices. (I'm not sure this is perfect yet, but it's a lot better)
    4. Unfortunately my admin pages are broken (again). Fixing this is my next priority (Hopefully it's pretty straight forward).

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  8. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I pushed out another update yesterday. I expect most people won't really notice it, but the number of digits after the decimal point in locations may have changed. While this may not look like much, it drastically changes how I store this type of geo-spaceal data, making it trivial for me to start looking at the relationship of points to each other. To make a long story short, it's the first of two changes needed to integrate support for the API, which should make it much easier for me to keep things up-to-date.

9. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Ugh, SotADB was down for around 24hrs.

An update to the DB schema caused a script to start failing, which ran to the resource-cap on the cluster. Unfortunately I didn't notice this until I got to my day-job, so I didn't have time to do anything more then just clear the troublesome script, which would have cleared the issue, EXCEPT somehow it had caused the acme-client (used to get and update the TLS certs) to corrupt the cert-file in a magical way that made it think it was valid even though it was corrupted.

To make the situation completely align with O'Toole's Commentary, once I left work, I was on a super-latent satellite connection at my mom's (I'm staying here tonight because she needs a ride super-early to a doctor's appointment) making it hard to figure out exactly what was going on and get it fixed.

At any rate, It's back working now. Also the second of what is looking like (at least) three updates for the Elasticsearch (ES) support is done. This update improves navigation a little by making a few things clickable that always should have been. The f_getItem() function has been refactored. It was always too-clever-by-half; now I don't get a headache every time I look at it. I've started rewriting the admin interface to make use of the ES information. I'm also cleaning up a number of usability problems with the admin interface, which should also improve the rate at which I can update things (on top of the ES benefits).

Sara Dreygon, Jaesun and Ataniiq like this.
  10. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Ugh, another downtime event. I think it was for 1hr, from 00:00NBT to 01:00NBT. It appears to again be certs, but it looks like this time it was one of the internal certs for authenticating and encrypting traffic between the uwsgi host and the DB itself.

I think the cert expired, the certifier renewed it, but either the DB or the uwsgi needed restarted too, but it didn't happen. I'll have to look into the how/why of that, and to make renewals a bit less brittle.

Thanks to @TrikSteve for bringing it to my attention in game!

11. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Fixed another bug that was causing the search function to error on certain searches starting with the sequence "can". It took me a bit to sort out what was happening, but the problem was caused by this entry:

https://www.sotadb.info/db/item/Candle-(Triple-Candle)

Because that entry happens to have "candle" appear twice in the name, it was causing two entries to appear in the table that associates a word with an item. This meant that when a search was ran it would try to update the same thing twice, which is illegal in SQL; it manifested itself as a HTTP Error 500.

Because this table has to be updated every time a change is made to the DB before it's properly reflected in searches, there is a function that regenerates it. That function had to be updated to do nothing if there was a conflict on insertion, then the table had to be updated prohibit identical entries (which would cause the a fore mentioned conflict), which meant I had to TRUNCATE the table (because you can't add a rule that the table already violates). Once the rule was changed, I manually ran the updated function to rebuild the table, and everything was right as rain.

This is probably why most sites just slap a google-search box rather then roll their own search function. In this case though, it's worth the effort (even if it means I have to spend time debugging it from time-to-time) because I'm able to use a deeper understanding about what we're looking for to build a better result.

Thanks (again) to @TrikSteve for bringing this obscure bug to my attention.

12. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Okay! Just pushed a new update to production.

I can now update items again!

That's the biggie, and I've got a bit of a backlog of things to add. Adding items now reports errors better and has a smoother work-flow, so I shouldn't get confused as much.
    Also, the search function updates the moment I add an item, rather then waiting until midnight.

I did notice having to refresh in order to get things to layout right (CSS was cached?). I'm not sure what that was about.

As always, let me know if you see anything wrong.

Spoon likes this.
  13. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Tiina Onir
    This is a Master Piece of effort and usability. I would like to see if there is any recipes that I may have that would help. Many I acquired from yellow bundles and I think all of the ones from NPC. I have them in a chest in my house and you are welcome to come loot thru them and take what you want.I will add you as kindred to the chest. My lot is top of the hill from entrance to New Fawn. Chest will be sitting in middle of floor. If there is anything else I can help with please let me know.

Thank you for a great resource.

Tiina Onir and Spoon like this.
  14. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Thank you for the offer! I have a bit of a backlog of things to add, but I'll certainly take you up on it!

15. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I am aware of an issue on SotADB, Unfortunately I don't have an ETA on when I'll have it repaired (hopefully sometime this weekend). I apologize for any inconvenience. I'll update this post as soon as I know more.

Sentinel2, Rentier and Anpu like this.
  16. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Good to know it'll be back up and running -- cool site for sure :)

Rentier likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.