My 2-cents on why I remain a backer of SOTA - I ain't going anywhere

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fionwyn Wyldemane, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Well said!
    I have to say that development of this game is pretty insane, every month they keep on fixing loads of old/new bugs. New content is being pushed with every monthly release.
    There are not a lot of other developers doing such a hardcore release schedule. So a full bow down for you SotA team. (Just do not get a burnout please! :))
    It is amazing how you guys listen to the community and most of the time you also put those ideas in the next release.
    This game really feels like a community build game.

And not to forget, Windows, Mac and GNU/Linux support! This is another point where you guys need to receive loads of kudos!
    Keep up the good work, I will keep supporting as long as I can!

Witcheypoo, Brugas, Woodchuck and 8 others like this.
  2. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Thank you, @Fionwyn Wyldemane

I know that quite a few folks spent considerable sums (easily in the five figure range) in the hope, no, expectation, that this game would turn out as they thought it would (should). I know, my wife and are are among them. Is it perfect? No. Is it improving? Yes. But I recognize that at that time we were not "investing" in the game. We were donating to a cause. We are more than satisfied with what has been produced and eager to see what comes next.

3. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I'm here for the long haul as well :D. Easily gotten my money's worth already.

4. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I'm loving SOTA every time I log in. Somehow it stays fresh to me (since 2014) despite other MMOs getting stale for me after a while. There's no way I'm going anywhere, it can only keep getting better and is.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I have to say that if they didn't have a Linux version then I wouldn't be here. I really appreciate that they went the extra mile.

6. Katu

Katu Avatar

No matter what I write here and how it's taken, I have still played for 400 hours (about 150 after persistence) and certainly got entertainment for my money.

7. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I bought back pre-persistence played for abit before the systems/mobs and more where really developed. Put it back out of mind and waited for the game to develop further. Came back later 2016 and have not put the game down. Its come so far and not nearly where it will be which has me excited as this game is Amazing for everything that is in it now. I love that our idea's and thoughts are listened too and that the developers have been implementing alot of what players think as well their own ideas being incorporated too. The grand vision of the big picture of where this is all going based on all the little bits of information we get has my head spinning. I will continue to support and grow with the game. I look forward to the future!

A BIG Thanks to all those who spend the countless nights playing with the code :) cheers.

8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I couldn't agree more Starr! Regardless of any player's opinion of the game, you guys definitely churn out new and improved content each month. Personally, I am THRILLED by the prospect of a complete overhaul of the current story/quest system. As a player who enjoys this aspect the game the most, I cannot wait to see the changes.

9. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Quite frankly I remain playing because there are no recently released online games that look good.

The manual glyph stacking mechanic is a gamebreaker for me, no matter how much I like the rest of the game.

If it wasn't for that nonsense I would already be subbed and not even considering another game.

Sota is a great game with a lot to offer even in it's unpolished state.

For the time being there is always an off chance it will be fixed or they come up with some alternative before something else comes out.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

11. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

12. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

The game may not have turned out the way I thought it would when I backed, I still find it fun and different than any game out there. It's come a long, long way since the "Chicken Room".

I was there at the beginning and plan on staying in New Britannia - no matter what meteors, comets or other cataclysms lie ahead.

13. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

Agreed @Fionwyn Wyldemane & @Robros Reh
    I am still here, playing, backing, supporting, and all the other things.
    Always looking forward to the next release!

New party/dance club plans almost ready to start building it... ;)

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You're still not quite sane, my rodent friend. ;)

15. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

My wife and I will definitely be here for the long haul... while I may play other games every now and then, my wife is one of those that are dedicated to only playing one thing at a time, and she'll be here for another 10+ years as long as it's going. We love the collection aspect, the housing aspect, and those are very, very strong points in this game that are not seen elsewhere... at least not in a long time (like Ultima Online & Star Wars Galaxies... EQII and others tried.. but not really close). Thank you for this game, even though I still complain about loot (always will :D), I still very much enjoy the game, everything that comes out each month, and everything on the horizon.

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Good to hear, Brugas...

But, about your forum Avatar... Smurfs? Really? Dude... ;)

17. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Sometimes it's good to be the underdog :)

18. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm not keen on the idea of brushing off general criticism as mere "development burnout".

Interpret criticism in any way you want (burn out, ignorance, etc. doesn't matter) but know that you're doing everyone a disservice (including the devs) by suggesting that people who don't like the game or aspects of it just need a "time out".

Some of us found ourselves in a situation where we cannot offer feedback because of a few members of the community who don't want to see negativity in the forums...
    You suggest that anyone who has a gripe with the game should take time away from the game. Fine. Then anyone who has gripes with criticism should take time away from the forums. So why can't people leave the rest of us alone so that we can say what needs to be said?

Look at the single-player mode and think to yourself: "is that really what was intended for Episode 1?" I'm not a fan of single-player games (save for a rare few), so I don't care about it... but look at it with the idea that this was a major selling point for many, many people.

Are we really, truly "burnt out" as you believe we are?

Yes, they'll continue to add new and cool things into the game. That's why I'm still here... despite EVERYTHING... but, c'mon, lets all be reasonable and be honest with ourselves, here.

I'm not a hater, but I can't support what most of the (dedicated) fans are saying about members of its OWN community. While the haters may bash the game, some of the fans are bashing other backers.

@DarkStarr , @Chris : You're finally on the verge of having something truly special here. You've made mistakes with Episode 1 (especially when it comes to communication) so I hope that you won't drop the ball moving forward. I'm eagerly awaiting for the new quest system as it has the potential to rectify the main thing that is currently dragging this game from being a decent success.

Corv and By Tor like this.
  19. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I am one of those crazy folk who decided that if I was going to back the game I was going large $$$$$. Man I had no idea what I was getting myself into! LMAO! So naive, so innocent...not just about game development, but about being part of a game community. I never did anything like this before and so I have to admit I made many mistakes along the way. During my first year here, I was one of *those* people who would freak out at changes, even though we were still in development. OMG, my panties would get so twisted in a bunch I would come on the forums, guns blazing and BAM, let it all rip. Egg, meet face. Splat...lol :eek:

True story though - just as the game grew up, so did I. My understanding of agile development expanded and once I understood my choice, ie, endure the slings and arrows of outrageous agile development or hit the exit, I chose to stay. Accepting that things change during agile development and that not all dreams can ever be realized, that helped me settle down.

I believe that if a person doesn't like something, they should find what they DO like and go partake of that. People moving on to other games is normal in my view. I really do hope though that backers who have moved on get bit by the SOTA bug and come back in a year. Give it another chance and see that the dream of SOTA is still blossoming :)

20. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

As I stipulated from the very first sentence, I could be wrong.

I gave my perspective and was careful not to brush off anyone. I never said people *need* a timeout, I expressed hope that those who opted to leave come back someday. I never claimed to be right about some backers being burned out. Just postulating. Neither of us can prove it one way or another. Perhaps we are both right? Some backers did burn out while others didn't?

In any case, thank you for taking time to post your perspective and I am glad you're still here. Let's find a way to have fun and enjoy both the game and the community, whether we see eye-to-eye or not. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.