forum moderation...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fauxpas, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

are you kidding?

youre locking a thread where 3/4 of the community participated in, because a handfull derailed it into personal fights?

i dont know... send them to an ingame arena to make it out, but dont cut everybody else off.

thats really frustrating for me. i can bear with broken quests, repetitive tasks, and people i disagree with. but this kind of community management is off the rails in my book.

2. Derium

Derium Avatar

The fighting (I was part of in defending myself) had stopped long before it was locked too.

It was locked when a discussion about the fighting took place. Which the discussion is actually a positive thing to have.

So yeah, not shutting it down during arguments, but shutting it down once we discussed how to properly argue is perplexing.

fonsvitae, Xandra7, Ataniiq and 4 others like this.
  3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It started to get too long anyway. The OP was about the open letter to the dev team expressing his frustration on the communication. Toward the end it starts to turn into forum melee between other players.

If there needs to be further discussion, we can still start a new thread (or more) to focus more on specific topic.

4. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

haha maybe its your avatar in combination with that post... that totally took the pressure off my chest ^^.

Vodalian likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think the mods are trying to do a good job :D It can be frustrating when a thread gets locked, but we should give them the benefit of the doubt and try to roll with their decisions.

I just want to give a note that there are perils in using personal attacks as a reason to lock a whole thread, because sometimes people go into a thread and attack people with the thread just in order to get it locked. That's caused some of the worst problems on the forums in the years we've had this community, IMO.

6. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

can we have an arena section of the forum where people get sent to for picking personal fights and the contestants have to duell it out in monthly events? we could have picking skills out of a predefined pool, and standard equipment as pick for armorclasses.

i think its mostly about venting emotions anyway.

7. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

They did let it go on longer than usual for those kinds of posts, especially after taking part in it. And again I applaud them for doing that much. Unfortunately sometimes it is easier to lock a thread than to constantly remove individual posts and tell people to behave. But I would have liked to seen how it evolved and let the community let it die out in forum history.

8. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

i do appreciate how starr handled it aswell. the sudden shutdown been uncalled for though, and i just generally think that putting a lid on something doesnt help getting rid of the pressure.

except some edgecases moderation makes things worse imo.

Ravicus Domdred and Derium like this.
  9. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I, for one, am sick to death of the bellyaching threads and was glad it was locked. They need to just provide a sub-forum for the purposely and unwitting trolls. It's toxic, and it's getting pretty obvious that a good portion of the community is getting sick to death of having to filter through them.

Crendel, Lesni, Kain Darkmoor and 4 others like this.
  10. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

when i used the word 'troll' as a verb my post got deleted as i was accused of calling the OP a troll. now that you have used 'troll' as a noun in a reference to the same OP, i wait to see how long till your post gets deleted.

11. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

He never leveled it at any one particular person.

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Ok I gather many of you are new to this so : do NOT feed the trolls, trolls eat heated replies AND manifest irritation.

Since we aint dealing with children here, we have the luxury of assuming that everyone should be able to tell when a troll is obvious, sometimes troll is obvious.

Sometimes also its not a troll, but a clever headless.

Now that gets people confused. You can't get them to think, they have no head, they use another brain but lets not get @Budner too exited here.

That brain won't function when faced with gentle, tolerant, peaceful and/or loving thoughts.

But headless /= stupid... don't think you can fake the loving thoughts that will only anger it more.

The biggest danger here, is not the troll and the headless... its alienating good people because of a tendency to generalize and jump to conclusions, AKA putting many in the same bag. That would be a win for troll and headless, because good people recognize that as bullying behavior.

You obviously do not want that...

Budner likes this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Until we find the truth... hopefully from their own accord. Then moderation is kind of useless because truth silences assumptions.

Most of the time we argue because we do not even know what the devs really want as a feedback, I could pull more than a hundred examples where one group says the devs wanted this here is my quote, the other group said but a few months earlier they said they want this heres our quote. Many MANY times I wondered if the devs didn't remain silent on purpose, hoping to trigger deeper feedback, I could not understand it at all when it became really serious.

The major problem is that the devs cannot say what they really want in a dynamic fashion. They obviously change their minds often, and did a damn bad job at getting it to our hungry minds when it mattered.

I was appalled and still am, sometimes I overheat and have to go take a walk or split some wood to cool off because there is no way in heaven @DarkStarr can put out such detailed patch notes (where they often say they changed their minds, and only a few people read patch notes consistently...) and not have someone, anyone in the community that is passionate with his work just plug in CONCISE and precise needs for feedback with intended scope and limitation, and also announcements when a course change is in order. Not after a few months when they already made their mind about it and it shows up on Q&A... right when its relevant.

Why do we need this artificial DEV/GOD/noble/peasant wall in communication is beyond me, it enrages me to no end because of the wasted energy and talent. I'm not going to LTB and make a scene again about it but to me it seems like basic high school human sciences.

14. Corv

Corv Avatar

They also locked this one, even though there was no fighting at all. it was simply a topic they want to forget about: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f.../any-news-on-progress-of-offline-game.135370/

15. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

If people cannot behave and stop attacking each other, remove their posts and mute them for awhile. If they continue to do it and de-rail legitimate conversations, ban them. This is pretty simple stuff - I have no idea why thread locking is even a thing in 2018. Moderation isn't a frontier devoid of exploration and advancements - this isn't how it's done, games with millions more players don't lock as many threads as SOTA does. That's saying something.

16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Welcome to SotA :rolleyes:

17. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yeah exactly, if a thread goes in a totally off topic discussion its their right to moderate and lock it.

Sentinel2 and Synergy Blaize like this.
  18. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

In theory, I sympathize with those who don't want any threads to be locked. In practice, from my own perspective, I agree with Roycestein. When threads get too long, I don't have time to read the 3-4 pages that were added the last time I looked. I usually skip to the end and miss everything in the middle :)

19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I read every thread, every dev post and patch notes and announcements since the very beginning, hoping to "know what I'm talking about" this is after all the first time I make it into a pre-alpha :p Alas, we don't seem to really need people who know what they are talking about... feels like I had no impact and that my contribution has been dwarfed by many people whom we don't even know about and don't use the forums, it seems.

Oh well...

20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I agree, all the dev communication should come to the forums first. To many places where this and that is said, but we here on the forums are at a loss. Things pop up out of the blue and are implemented without public discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.