1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Shroud's Status, Criticism, Healthy Debate, & the Future

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

In all honesty, both sides of this coin flip need to chill. Things are not inviting here, guys. I think we can all agree that more players are needed. Really not going to happen with the vibe here at the moment.

I'd also like to think, like @DarkStarr said, that we're all here because we want the game to succeed. Part of that is being constructive if you're critical and ALSO not be an unreasonable (and kinda creepy) cheerleader/bully for Portalarium if you disagree.

2. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

this last week has made me feel sad for each side of the debate if you can call it that.

a riptide of both good and bad intentions leading into a whirlpool of rage and despair from where there is no escape.

3. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Can we please have a direct update regarding the shipping of physical items? One consisting of one sentence that states the date things will be mailed and nothing else, please. This isn't a loyal or critical statement, I'm just asking when people who bought things from you will receive them, but you could certainly show your loyalty to us by providing us very clear, succinct feedback that you've acknowledged at the start of this very thread could've been better in the past.

Thank you.

4. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams Avatar

Reading this post and then reading between the lines made me feel very sad that you @DarkStarr and the rest of the development team are feeling overwhelmed with the task ahead and wonder if we the players and audience for this game appreciate what has been achieved and delivered to date.

I will admit there are somethings that are not perfect, but life in the real world is the same not perfect either.
    Does this game give me what I want and I have to answer yes most definitely YES is does.
    Enough for me who only started a week before launch to take part in the rewards program (Monthly Subscription) to show my support.

To the whole team don't give up you have done so much, be proud of what you have achieved and plan to do in the months, years ahead.

Your work and effort is very much appreciated and that is something we should say once in a while "Well done, Keep up the great work, we love it and want more".
    If you stop I have lost more than I am prepared to give up, where will I spend my time then.

5. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

6. Gix

Gix Avatar

@DarkStarr its posts like these and the constant monthly updates to the game that makes me glad and more than willing to pay a subscription.

Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our concerns and critiques.

Witcheypoo, Nikko, Serion and 5 others like this.
  7. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

@DarkStarr

I love the watch you wore to the last telethon. I am a collector myself. What brand watch is that?

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  8. matsutaki

matsutaki Avatar

I am staying till the last avatar standing!
    Kona Gold

9. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Grandmaster Volume IV by iXXXi Amsterdam. This awesome triangular shaped case is milled out of a solid slab of stainless steel (and weighs what you might expect). It was bought at the Magna Plaza mall off the Dam Square in Amsterdam.

Nikko, Rentier, mass and 8 others like this.
  10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

And I'm staying for that sweet, sweet Kona Gold! ;)

[​IMG]

11. Vero

Vero Avatar

Nice place Amsterdam is it not ;) few avatars come from that city btw!

[​IMG]

If you look really good you can see Darkstar peeking from the windows with his nice Grandmaster Volume IV on his wrist

12. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

Love you all!!!
    Great post Darkstarr.
    - Lord British

13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

hahaha, I was told by my wife a few weeks ago when I said something like "they just need to chill out" that the latest young generation (high school) use that term completely different then us. They see that term more like "hook up physically". Sorry for the side note lol, I laugh when I see it now.

3devious, Nikko, matsutaki and 4 others like this.
  14. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Yeah, but you love ME the most, right LB? ;)

15. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

Greatest if it's an open letter as post-mortem from SotA launch for all backers and the Internet in general. I must insist.

Be smart.

16. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

It's one of the most satisfying games I have played, on many levels. I ultimately feel you are all professionally giving it heart.

THE HENDOMAN

17. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

(I snipped some lines unrelated to what I wanted to talk about, hopefully to no offense)

I think it's hard to make that base assumption when a number of the things haven't gotten a real response and we went to release with them in a unfortunate state.

For me personally, I would like to know if they think whatever is being addressed is a problem. If they think my proposed resolution makes sense, and if not what they think would address it. Nice to have would be "why not" (I always like to increase my knowledge and understanding), but I certainly understand if that's too far.

A while back I wrote some vary lengthy feedback to one of the mainline quests. I have no idea if it was heard, if it was agreed with by Portalarium, or if not why. What I do know, is no one at Portalarium responded to it, and we went to release with it unaddressed (I think to the detriment of the game). I took a significant chunk of time to write down how I felt (or didn't) during my play-through, and how I thought it could be improved. For all I know it had as much effect at telling my cat.

That's hugely frustrating, and highly discourages me doing it again. On the other hand, getting feedback (even if that feedback is negative) does a number of things: it gives me Portalarium's perspective (possibly a perspective I didn't consider), It helps me understand what feedback they are interested in (saving both of us time in the future), and it at least lets me know someone is listening. There's an old saying, "You shouldn't try to teach a pig to sing, you only waste your time and annoy the pig." I'd like to know if someone's actually listening, because if not I'll not waste my time and annoy them.

All that said, I'm sometimes highly critical. That's not intended as disrespect toward any of the staff at Poralarium (or other commenters, even those I disagree with), it's because I think the game could be better; I want the game to be better. I believed and still believe there is a lot of potential here. If I didn't, I wouldn't bother.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  18. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Honestly it really is just an issue of bandwidth. THOUSANDS of messages get posted to the forums every day. We literally don't have time to respond to every post. It does not mean we are not listening but I completely understand how it feels that we are not.

19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I still love you even though we broke up. ;)

3devious, Womby, ZeCarlos and 9 others like this.
  20. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

It was a very pleasant surprise to see your name just now.

You were the one who killed all the skeletons when, about 3 or 4 years ago, I was trying to work on the Student Book Quest.

Thank you.

Rentier, Womby, Ataniiq and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.