Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Disappointing release: Hitching unchanged

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Sorthious, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Totally agree. The hitching should be priority #1 for the devs, imo.

Feeyo and Sorthious like this.
  2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yeah that is the weird thing, my frame rate is pretty good in contrast to past releases. But the freezing when walking/turning camera is just annoying.

Jaesun, By Tor and Sorthious like this.
  3. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

To confirm: The same on my Windows Box.

07/27/2018 20:27
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3960X CPU @ 3.30GHz (12) System RAM: 32718
    GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series GPU RAM: 8137
    SotA.Win.64.813.Date.07.26.18
    Area: HiddenVale_Forest02_Tier5
    Area Display Name: Deep Ravenswood
    Loc: (49.6, 36.6, -11.5)
    Debug: SGlkZGVuVmFsZV9Gb3Jlc3QwMl9UaWVyNXx8KDQ5LjY0NywgMzYuNjQ0LCAtMTEuNDY2KXwoMCwgLTAuOTEzLCAwLCAtMC40MDkpfDEyMTEuOTAzfDE1LjU5NTR8OC43OTQ0Mjk=

Sorthious likes this.
  4. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yeah, it's driving me nuts and I'm getting to where I don't want to play anymore. I still do, of course, because I love the game and don't want to fall too behind everyone else, but I'm not sure how much longer I will continue to play with the performance this bad. I realize that others don't seem to be having this issue, or it's barely noticeable, but that isn't my experience. My framerate isn't the best, or worst. On the Overworld I can get between 50-100FPS, but that is irrelevant when I freeze up and FPS drops to 1. In most scenes I get 30-60-FPS or higher, but again, it's the hitching that is the issue. @Chris , Please, please find the issue. I know you guys/gals are working hard, but this is a critical issue, for me at least, and I want to be able to play the game unhindered by bad performance. If it takes you 5 releases to get it nearly perfect that is fine, but I'm, currently, seeing no improvement on Live. If there is anything that I can do to help diagnose please let me know! I'm more than willing to help out.

By Tor and Feeyo like this.
  5. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Mishikal and Jaesun like this.
  6. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Nice link! It definitely sounds like a Garbage Collection problem, which @Chris acknowledged as a contributing factor in hitching. Also, it was supposed, in part, to address that issue. But, as I said, the fix doesn't seem to translate over to Live from QA. Good job though on adding another clue to the list of contributing factors that might help to solve the puzzle!

Mishikal, Jaesun and Feeyo like this.
  7. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yeah this does translate to the bug report I made about hitching, that every time I saw the UDP data being shown in the log the hitching appeared.

Mishikal likes this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Ok finally spent several hours with both online characters and ran around two different areas, I also avoided the areas if they were raining.

The hitching sadly is still present. Even in combat or just running around an area. :(

It is however better in offline mode.

I do hope they can finally find what it causes this.

Sorthious and By Tor like this.
  9. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I think I recall doing a netstat and don't even recall seeing any TCP packets, so it seems they are all UDP. I used to keep up with tech and still remember a bit of what I learned, but, iirc, UDP's don't use error-correction or guarantee delivery. Could it be due to the application layer not receiving a huge amount of packets and then having to rerequest them?

10. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

This is so strange, because I played for 6 hours last night on 812, in a party with one other person, and the hitching was minimal. :/

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  11. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

So this last weekend, hitching was back for me as well, with a vengeance. :(

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  12. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Hitching has been present since many many years.

I blame the Unity Engine not Port.

13. coffeeislife

coffeeislife Avatar

Sure that has something to do with it, but the hitching got significantly worse last release, and remains unchanged here. Before last release, I played mostly on linux. Now it's unplayable. Something changed in R55 for me, brought in hitching, and it's been a problem since.

Feeyo and Sorthious like this.
  14. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

There may be OS specific related causes of hitching but plenty of players not on Linux also are experiencing hitching (myself included). Initially on R56 it was great in my experience. Yet over the course of the release, things have changed, without new patches. I'm once again suffering significant hitching in R56 :/

Tila Tenderfoot, Feeyo and Sorthious like this.
  15. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Then explain how the problem was fixed in QA patch 724 but persists on the Live server r56.

Feeyo likes this.
  16. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

It was never fixed.
    In the past 30 releases there were times for me where i had no hitching at all, sometimes it was ultra bad and sometimes it was something in between.
    It is impossible for me or anyone else to explain as to why you had no issues in QA 724 and now again in r56.
    But again, that's exactly the experience i had in the past 30 or so releases :D

Anyways, in general i just meant that Unity had (and still has to some degree) an issue with hitching.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  17. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I know Unity has issues that cause hitching, but, as I said, the constant hitching issue was addressed in r56 QA. Yes hitching has been a persistant problem in the game; I never said it wasn't. It was virtually non-existant in Patch 724 on QA. This was even after 4-hours of non-stop play. I was not the only person who saw the fix in QA, nor the subsequent failure to bring the improvement to launch(This post was pre 724 Patch, which removed almost all hitching):

Hitching(r56 QA Feedback)

18. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

When r56 released, I spent 4+ hours playing in the Rise in one go, and again all the rest of the weekend for hour+ long spurts, and I had virtually no hitching, either. By the next weekend, I had serious hitching again. It was even worse last night. Yet no new patches. So that sounds a lot like your QA experience initially and then it degraded over time. No clue why. Maybe a server restart fixes it for a short time?

19. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I had immediate hitching on r56. It didn't degrade over time for me, and others. Something between QA and r56 going Live is causing the hitching and we(who have the issue), aren't getting any information as to why it is happening, how/if it's being addressed, or when it might be corrected. We are just being told that it should be better, but not perfect. But, for me and others, it is no better, and more precisely it is worse. I am patient however. If I didn't love this game I would have quit after the game was released due to all the performance issues. I would just like to at least know that the issue is being addressed, and if there is anything I can do to help with testing. @Chris , is there an ETA for when we might see an improvement on the hitching?

coffeeislife and Feeyo like this.
  20. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Yup, you just describe the behaviour i had in the past 30 releases on and off.

But combined with the constant unity updates i think Chris is very close to indeed fixing it for good.

Mishikal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.