Quest system rehaul in Episode 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fister Magee, Jul 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

We can't wait for this, if this does not happen pretty much 'NOW', I fear for our future. Fix the quest system once and for all. Or the market will speak (and it has been whispering/screaming for a while now).

Beaumaris, Xandra7, Ataniiq and 3 others like this.
  2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

How do I tag Lord British?

3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

You have to catch him, first. Which is really hard, because the combat speed nerf didn't apply to him.

5. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

it is happening now. every time it has been mentioned by them it is said in the sense that they are doing it now and that the people working on it are focusing on that.

6. Corv

Corv Avatar

Honstly? By going on twitter and write to him there. He said himself that he is on twitter mostly and also answers SotA questions there.

Here: @Lord British

Ataniiq, Jaesun and Fister Magee like this.
  7. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

If you want a quest system that WORKS, you might want to wait for it a bit so that they can get it done, tested, and working properly.

Elwyn, Paladin Michael and Jaesun like this.
  8. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

well sure lol! but you'd think they'd have done this before we went live?

Xandra7, fonsvitae, Nietzsche and 2 others like this.
  9. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Honestly:
    We're waiting over 4 years. It was done, we tested it (watch my bug reportings and feedback) and how it works isn't a secret anymore. As a Prio 1 - and very important for further story telling we are all excited what they imagine how the new system will do things better. And I would like to know who will design and write the code for it?

Look: there is so much time on each telethon to talk about -whatever- and not 15 minutes to tell something about the plans for a new quest - dialogue - journal system? And that for a game with an epic story?
    That's really sad :(

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  10. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Yeah, a lot of "fluff" gets covered in great detail, but where's the meat and potatoes, "this is how we're going to tackle this massive issue" sort of discussion? People's money's at stake.

Everyone can see what 5 years and a large team created - and they can see it's incomplete with unsatisfactory systems - so not discussing the future it isn't really hiding anything from us out here.

11. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

We also do not know how far into the new iteration of the quest system they are either. The current quest system is not the original one put into the game either. That one can be found among the original quests put into the Hidden Vale during the earliest releases of the game. There is also much less building work that has to be done to move to a new system. All of the text input for the various NPCs and the journal is done (which is/was no small task) though there may be a few tweaks here and there if needed. Also, the system itself was in the game long before Release, most of the time from when Novia as a whole was opened up and players were set initially on the Love path (being the first storyline segment to be completed) was writing out and developing the rest of the storyline paths (Truth, Courage, Oracle), not specifically building the Quest System itself.

That's not to say that it will be a one-month-and-release endeavor, but that the main heavy lifting has been done and to revamp the underlying system will not take anywhere close to 5 years.

Paladin Michael and Jaesun like this.
  12. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I wasn't suggesting it would. My point was that I'd like to hear more about how it's being done. You've made some comments there about the revamp, but is that what you assume, or is what's been said?

Because, again, I haven't seen anything officially said in any sort of detail. If you could point me to it - even your basis for what you said re: the heavy lifting already being done - I would really love to read it.

13. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

You are right! Of course nobody thinks it is a thing which can be done in a month or that it takes years :)

The point is: A lot of people just wants to know, what is going on with the complete quest system?

Q2 Schedule Update was telling:

Q3 Schedule Update says nothing about. In Telethon was said, the whole system needs renewal for Episode 2(!)

What are the ideas? How will it change? How will it look? Who will design and code it?
    When will they start to do this? Early access can be purchased on SotA website:
    And @Dermott, you are right: we do NOT know how far they are either. That's the reason it would be very nice to give some information about the plans :)

That's great information for everybody who is here for the storyline and still hoping for a better gameplay.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Vyrin and nonaware like this.
  14. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Sadly, there are a few steps before they can really start planning a new system. Hopefully they can be done quickly, because I agree - let's get on with the meat and potato(e)s.

Here's what needs some clarity first:
    - When does Ep. 2 development officially begin?
    - What will be included in Ep. 2?
    - What are the priorities of these items in development?
    - How will Ep.2 be funded?
    - How will the budget match what needs to be done?
    - And more...

We don't need to debate or discuss these items on the forum, but I'd be afraid to start designing a new system without these being answered. Hopefully, they will start ticking them off and letting us know soon.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  15. Curt

Curt Avatar

I would like the journal to be more of a 'loose blade system' if that's the right word.
    When in a town I would like to easier see all pages related to that town.

One part favourite for things you marked as interesting.
    One part diary
    One part divided into regions and them into towns.
    Able to make own notes.

One part with notes over what mobs we seen and impression of them.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  16. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.