To Buy or To Make Jar of Yeast Culture? (Answer)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrian (Kung Fu Master), Jul 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Adrian (Kung Fu Master) Avatar

To Buy or To Make Jar of Yeast Culture?

[​IMG]

As you can see clearly from the chart, it's better to buy the Jar of Yeast Culture from the NPC's Merchant. While fetching water, farm, and make your own material would save 2 golds per jar, it's not worth it with the farming and cooking extensive time lost.

Updated # 2: Looks like the 2 gold saved would earned you the overall 282 exp. per seed. So if you have the time to spare, you can grow the Wheat and earn at least 282exp.

Exp. Breakdown:

Make 3 x Grains = 120
    Make 3 x Flours = 120
    Make 1 x Jar of Yeast Culture = 42

Grand Total Exp. = 282 (Without Exceptional Item)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Svahn, SmokerKGB, Woodchuck and 5 others like this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

what if there is more than 2 gold worth of XP in making it yourself?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

That's a great question looking at the XP angle. I would be a different comparison between cost and XP. Might have to test it out to see whether it's worth it or not.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Jaesun and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  4. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Updated the cost vs exp

Jaesun likes this.
  5. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Noting that the glass jar has to be bought in all cases, as there is no glass jar recipe, and looking at the scenario:
    'make all of your own ingredients except buy the water' (4 buckets - 8 gold), - this is what I always do as i'm incapable of putting up with the frustration and time waste of drawing water 1 bucket at a time.

Perhaps this shows why @Chris seems reluctant to introduce a water gathering action? Perhaps he, or rather Port, want us all to draw water one bucket at a time all day to achieve the only way to make yeast culture cheaper than buying from a Vendor?
    I believe similar principles around water costs currently apply to Brewing profitability?

Chris did however say a while back.. 'I'll figure something out', which has not yet happened of course, but seems to indicate that it simply hasn't been gotten round too yet?.

If water gathering is just a matter of the Devs to get round to doing it, it seems crazy. Surely it needs to be prioritised?

Purchasing water simply because players can't bring themselves to waste hours of repetitive time gathering is skewing the economy. I can't possibly conceive that Portalarium think that there is some 'fun' in applying a tension to a decision whether to purchase or draw water to turn a profit or ensure item costs for manufacturing are below the npc vendor rate.

6. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

Hi Adrian, I like your charts, did the math too (but only some average numbers).
    Its clearly not worth the effort:-(
    1 node in Elysium brings more XP (and gold)

7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

If you want another one to look into, try leather from scraps.

MFWalter likes this.
  8. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Yeah, this is what I don't understand about the whole thing. Doesn't the cost in user time vs. the profit always make killing mobs the far superior option for gold and xp? Unless you are specifically targeting crafting xp I suppose but then again gathering nodes is better for that it seems... The way things are set up, the weak mobs give about the same amount of gold/equipment as the higher tier ones do aside from a very rare drop. So if I want just gold I look for a set of semi weak mobs with a good spawn rate that drop decent things for me to sell and then wade in and slaughter them. Granted the profit per mob is huge, but compared to farming and the time it takes, my rate of return is much better for the time I have to put in. If you argue risk, then yes there is a small amount but again, there is no reason to target high tier mobs so I can choose weak ones I can kill easily and make more than I could if I were engaging challenging mobs. The only reason to do that is XPs but then again you balance volume vs. profit per mob.

So in the end, even if I were to go and pad my profit margin by picking up jars, sacks of flour and sacks of grain that are say, lying around in an invaded town, it seems like I am still far better off spending my time out in the zones than putting all the time and energy into growing/brewing. Perhaps I am missing something or they are basing it on people using multiple accounts to do both at the same time with batching? It still seems like a lot of bother for the player to me. I've done some brewing but to me the reward I got from all that work was extremely underwhelming and I sold before the price drop. I'll probably do some more when they add bonuses to the drinks we produce but it won't be to sell them.

Can you actually make enough profit from a lot to even pay the daily taxes? The more I think about the tax rate in this land the more I think the people in charge are tyrants taxing it's populace into slavery.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    MFWalter, matsutaki and Woodchuck like this.
  9. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

Hi there,

after 50 craftings you only get 25 XP for each crafting of those items (seems you only did 15 Jars and 16 Wheat/Flour :D )

never did check the XP rewarded for watering or seeding thow...

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Isn't it zero?

MFWalter and econner like this.
  11. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

I think it is. I didn't get anything from watering or harvesting. Maybe you have to do the individual plants instead of using the skills?

12. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

I only do one round to get the exp. number. If you do in batch, the number could be different or could be the same. I'm not going into too much details on exp. gain because it is out of the experiment's scope.

Rentier likes this.
  13. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

You do gain exp. by individual/batch watering now. Tested out last night. Might be it was fixed in R56?

Rentier likes this.
  14. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

I agreed with you that it would be wiser to go out and hunt. Use the gold to purchase the jar of yeast culture, instead of growing it yourself. Some people find it's enjoying just to go through the steps.

econner likes this.
  15. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

If recoding to collect bucket of water in batching is too time consuming, wouldn't it easier to lower the price to 1 gold has the same result?

Rentier and Steevodeevo like this.
  16. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Quite possible, I'll keep an eye on it next time I'm planting.

17. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

hmmm let me think.. how much XP does one get for gathering water?

Witcheypoo likes this.
  18. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

And that enjoyment is why I will plant again in the future but I think one should be able to make enough money pay ones taxes and have some gold left over if they make an honest attempt at farming. I wouldn't expect to get that kind of gold out of it being just a dabbler but those who take the time to do it on a large scale should be able to make a living at it. That would mean over 1000 gold a day for a village size lot. From these numbers it doesn't seem like it would be possible as it stands now. Just my 2 cents.

Solazur likes this.
  19. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Zero

Rentier and Solazur like this.
  20. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Growing cotton is very profitable. You should look into it, and look into my Agriculture guides to do in a large scale farming.

Rentier and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.