1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Shroud's Status, Criticism, Healthy Debate, & the Future

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metlore

Metlore Avatar

Well said! I think people feel they are doing the game a favor by trying to silence anything they see as excessively negative, but in actuality, they are simply making the people they're trying to silence scream out louder as well as feel alienated by the community. People are going to disagree with you. You aren't "right" or "wrong." Opinions are allowed to be different. I am sure there are parts of the game that I really dislike that are someone else's favorite thing. That doesn't mean that my criticism is "hateful bashing." The game needs players. We the community need to be adults with disputes and be better with welcoming new players, even if we disagree with their views. The games future being more uncertain seems to only be making the problem worse. Community members are jumping on more and more negative criticism, which pushes more people away. We're going to create a self fulfilling prophecy of doom and gloom.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  2. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

"Netflix and Chill"
    BOOM BOOM CHIKA WOW WOW!

3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You may have to wear shades, his awesomeness is a bit glare-inducing in person. Just hope that he doesn't sparkle wink at you!
    This may become important for me two years from now when Windows 7 officially goes out of support, especially if Apple continues to produce insanely mediocre hardware.
    It's like politics and sausage. But I wanted to see MMO being made, and I got what I wanted.

4. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

You are welcome but sadness! I won't be at DragonCon this year! But Lord British will be! You two raise a glass to me!

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

That's just the reflection off his scalp. :)

Nikko, Daigoji Gai, Elwyn and 2 others like this.
  6. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

It's an impossible task and you guys have been doing an awesome job of getting on here and answering as many question as you can. Your efforts are not missed and I know that this Avatar greatly appreciates the extra effort being made to reach out to us players! Keep up the great work! :D

7. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

aww come on Themo, Hug and make up :)

8. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

This is the root of all evil.

I'm glad you're finally coming to terms with that. Bite/chew ratio: we all knew it was the core of every issue. Why you kept ignoring/dismissing the writings on the wall for so long, even coming from people who demonstrated, time and again, that are/were/will be forever on your side?

I'm a bit worried that the answer to this insane rush toward The Perfect Game With Everything We Ever Dreamed Of And Then Something More (tm) is rushing even faster toward Ep 2.

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Can we stop that please?
    If we want more players and a better game we should really try to come to terms with each other.

10. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Its not about hate. Its calling it like it is. Those forums are incredibly toxic. When you see a dysfunxtional and toxic family which you want no part of because life is to short to be dragged down to where they are, expressing that is not about hate. Thank you. :) :)

Sea Bear, Brugas, Stundorn and 2 others like this.
  11. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I agree with all of what you said but I am curious. I wonder what percentage of actual players even find their way to the forums. I know me personally I rarely make my way to the forums of this game or quite frankly any game I have ever played because my experience of forums is not a good thing. It's usually people arguing about what they think is "broke" or what not back and forth and ultimately creating an environment I have no desire to be a part of. This forum is not so bad but some of them... sheesh!! That doesn't stop me from playing the various games. If I enjoy the game I will play it. I very much enjoy playing this game and do daily even though I rarely visit the forums. heck, the only reason I am on this thread is because It was posted in a facebook group I am a part of and I saw it was something from @DarkStarr and I wanted to see what he had to say and I kinda fell down the rabbit hole...lol All that being said, I wonder how many players actually visit here???

12. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

I find myself critical of the critical of the critical of the critical.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  13. Metlore

Metlore Avatar

In a fully complete game, I'd say that's very accurate. With SotA, I'm not so sure. With systems still in a very rough state, quest lines still very glitchy, and game direction still confusing, I would imagine the average new user visits these forums more than normal.

Stundorn likes this.
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

Would it not be more efficient, then, to "like" the particular feedback? Whenever or not it's feedback you agree with, you like feedback, right?

It'd be a quick way for you to tell us that you've read the post and it'd give us some clue as to the kind of post you want us to write.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I agree. Just an acknowledgement of being seen would be good. In the past the silence of the devs made some people just give up on voicing their thoughts. Even bug reports that where given with no feedback made people stop bug reporting. Feedback is crucial, even if it just a "like".

16. Gix

Gix Avatar

That's especially true when you have to resubmit the bug report at every release.

17. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I dunno. Its a nice idea, but just not practical for the devs to acknowledge everyone's feedback. They are here to improve upon a game, not fly the forums. Expecting a dev to 'like' every comment as acknowledgement is also showing a little hubris, as if the stuff we write is truly important enough to do that. Some of it is, not all of it. We have to give credit where credit is due. Darkstarr and team are engaged with their community BY FAR more than almost any other team I've seen in decades of gaming. We'd miss them if they were gone.

Witcheypoo, Jaesun, Brugas and 2 others like this.
  18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I will simply just disagree with your premise. Many people feel they did not engage with the community as you say. Some people did get lots of engagement, most others did not. You will not see much of what I say on these forums because most of the stuff got purged along with the dissenters. YMMV but these topics would not come up if people did not feel this way.

19. Gix

Gix Avatar

No one's suggesting that they should read and comment on every single post and no one's expecting them to "like" every comment either. If they read something, they might as well take half a second and press a "like" button.

That might actually save them more time in the long run.

How they may or may not be the most engaged dev team that you've ever seen doesn't really change anything.

That's what Community Managers are there for; they take feedback, relay it to the devs and engage the community. If the dev team is wearing multiple proverbial hats, then they need to do these things too.

Leostemplar and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There's dissention and there's outside the bounds of forum rules. It's not difficult to post feedback "positive" or "negative" without it getting moderated and archived. People do it every day.

Witcheypoo, Lord Stein and Brugas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.