To Buy or To Make Jar of Yeast Culture? (Answer)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrian (Kung Fu Master), Jul 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

I'll check it out but like I said before I'm a dabbler. I think my avatar has ADHD, because I tend to do things for short bursts then just move to the next. I probably should put that cool giant column planter thingy to use that I built after seeing it in a post.

2. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

Cotton is the most profitable crop, but I personally don't do it too often - too repetitive and I have to stick to the watering times which are very restricting.
    Would be OK if I could water 1x all the water or use automatic Kobold watering machines.
    With current mechanics I only grow the cotton I need myself (very little) or some reagents/grapes/wheat.
    Else I use agriculture only as 1x for deco.....

Rentier likes this.
  3. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

Pretty much my thread from last week:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/recipe-jar-of-yeast-culture.136413/

Solution offered:

Crafting costs more than just buying from a vendor, which should not be the case. The produced number of Jars of Yeast should be at least 3 to offset the costs or wheat grain to flour should not be a 1:1 ratio.
    Empty Jar = 2gp
    Jar of Yeast = 20gp
    3 Sacks of Wheat Grain > 3 Sacks of Flour = 8(*3) = 24 gp
    Total production cost = 46gp

If you change the resultant product to 3, it costs 15gp per, rather than buying at 20gp.
    If you change the wheat grain to flour from 1 bag of wheat grain = 3 bags of flour, that makes the cost 30gp, so there would also have to be a change in product ratio to 2 - making it 15 gp per.

4. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Adrian (Kung Fu Master) Avatar

This would be an ideal solution to produce two Jar of Yeast Cultures instead of one at the current stage. One third of the yeast from the Jar of Yeast can be transferred to the new jar to make two.

5. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

What is this cool giant column thing you mention? Row Greenhouse? Have I missed something neat?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Svahn and econner like this.
  7. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

Batch harvest and water does not give crafting exp. If it does for singles then maybe its a bug that we never knew wasn't working as intended?

@Chris ?

8. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Do you mean batch sowing/watering/harvesting does not add to your producer xp pool?

I don’t know if it does or not, but I know that i still gain skill levels in the batch watering/harvesting when I’m using them. (you gain more skill using the single watering technique than the batch)

10. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

You do gain producer exp by batch sow/harvest/watering. If not, how do people get to GM level in Agriculture tree?

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Are you sure? Because if you have already a pool of producer xp, when you use batch watering or harvest this pool goes down, and eventually you will gain skill levels every now and then.

But this is because it is using the xp in the pool.

How do we know for sure that the batch skills actually add xp to the pool while using them as well? This was my interpretation of @Drake Aedus post.

Edit: I will try to test this and find out later tonite when I login again!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Rentier likes this.
  12. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

I can get about 350 an hour while reading a book or watching a movie.
    I also get hand cramps from pressing "E" 700 times in that hour.
    @Chris Maybe has forgotten why they started allowing area effects into agriculture. Though it still costs XP if you have agriculture turned on, you only gain XP with sowing seeds.

No XP gain, only time wasted.

Solazur likes this.
  13. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

I tested it out by locked up all my Harvest/Sow/watering skill trees. The exp pool gained exp while doing the sow/watering/harvest. I do this everyday so I catch it very easily if you gain exp or not.

Elwyn and Woodchuck like this.
  14. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Nope, only from sowing - the rest take XP to gain levels.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Ah! I was going to do the same test tonite!

Thanks! And good to know that the batch farming skills do contribute to the xp pool!

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Okay I guess I will test and confirm this tonite!

17. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

All of them take XP to gain levels. If you have them set to "Training", then yes, it will take xp from your producer pool when you use one of those skills. However, you should still be gaining XP from doing that skill also. You will still see a net increase early on when the XP spent is lower than the XP gained.

Set your skills to "maintain" and try each one again. You should see a pool increase with each skill used.

Another thing to note here... when you use the AOE planting/watering/harvesting skills, the XP gained or spent will be the same no matter how many planting spots get affected. What I mean is, the XP doesn't change whether you cover 1 planting spot or 15 spots. It's a per use thing and not a per seed thing.

So, if you are trying to level up your agriculture skills (or gain xp from each skill), it's better to aim your circle over as little planting spots at a time as possible so that you can use the skill more times per batch of seeds planted.

I know that sounds counter productive based on the fact that the whole reason for these skills is to do it faster and with less clicks... But the more you suffer earlier on (ie. try to cover only 1 seed spot at a time) the faster you will level the skill up and enlarge your radius of effect. Of course, as with all skills, starting with a larger producer pool and obsidian potions of learning will also help level it up faster too. Just keep in mind that you don't get/spend extra XP per attempt just because the circle is bigger.

Hope that makes sense.

Woodchuck likes this.
  18. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

That isn't true. Planting seeds by batch gives the minimum producer xp per seed used (25 after doing it enough times).

It's easy for me to track, all 3 of my skills are GM'd, and locked to maintain. My producer xp pool goes up when I plant (I only use the AoE planting) by 25xp per seed used. Watering does not provide me any xp in AoE skill use, nor harvesting.

I will set some time aside to test individual planting (1-by-1) but it sounds like that has already been shown to work as an xp creating event.

@Adrian (Kung Fu Master) I'm sorry for the off-topic branch your post took.

edis: @Daxxe Diggler - sorry its late here, maybe my reading comprehension is low tonight. It sounds like your point was the funneling of XP into the skills on use, in which case you are 100% correct. Sorry.

Daxxe Diggler, Elwyn and Woodchuck like this.
  19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

To complicate this, I remember reading that once a skill is at 80 or GM, it draws some xp from the pool regardless of whether you want to gain higher skill or not. At the high levels, just maintaining the level requires using xp all the time (logic here is presumably if you don’t the skill atrophies and falls).

So when you see no XP gained when you batch water or harvest it may mean that the gain and use of xp were equal and therefore “cancelled” each other out??

Not sure how we could test this, only @Chris would know for sure the inner algorithms being executed.

Edit: typo. Apologies to OP @Adrian (Kung Fu Master) for off-topic!

20. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

It's alright, no worries because they are all healthy discussions.

I made a mistake by leaving one skill in the unlearning mode so it was feeding my exp. pool when I sow/water/harvest. As soon as I turned that off, I gained no exp. when watering the plant. I'm updating the original post to reduce the exp. table.

Rentier likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.