Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Night is too dark

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by deadq, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadq

deadq Avatar

It is very dark for me at night. I would like to be able to adjust the brightness at night. Daytime is good.

Mingo likes this.
  2. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

Try carrying a torch? (in one of the weapon chests)

If you seriously have a visibility issue maybe look at your video card's alpha settings

edit: as per below I meant gamma

3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Frankly I noticed the exact opposite, in that night was too bright.

The game probably requires a gamma balancing option or some such.

Mordecai, Aegis159, Tarsilion and 4 others like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

Night time was too bright. Much more than that though is the night sky itself. It is washed out and too bright.

5. deadq

deadq Avatar

That would probably help.

6. Maka

Maka Avatar

Night is too dark... ROFL. :) Seriously.. that's funny stuff. Throw them a bug report asking for a gamma slider?

Time Lord and Montaigne like this.
  7. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I'm with smack on this.. Night is suppose to be too dark to see.. unless it's a full moon. developers have said they don't like caves to be too dark though, so for similar reasons I'm sure they won't want the night to be too dark either? To me, Nights should have about 20 feet visibility, +/- 10 feet based on the moon phase.. caves 5 feet, requiring light sources to get around.

8. Korrigan

Korrigan Avatar

... and full of terrors!

(Sorry, I REALLY couldn't resist).

Joke aside, I found the night to be quite ok, I even wish it would be a bit darker, but I guess when weather effects are implemented, we could eventually have very dark, stormy nights.

9. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Yep, RG doesn't like dark games where you can't see where you are going. I side with him. I hate it when I get in areas I can't see. I've played games where night is really dark and you can only see the area right around your torch or lantern and I just don't like it. 1) It's only realistic on a completely moonless/overcast night. 2) It's a game, if I can't see to play the game or enjoy the scenery what is the point?

That being said, I didn't have an issue with the current state of darkness. I suspect there are some video card and monitor settings that might be causing issues on individual systems.

Time Lord and Miracle Dragon like this.
  10. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

A dark night gives a better mood and is more intimidating, and it is going to be more dangerous than daytime too. It definitely should not be bright in my opinion, I want to be able to clearly feel the difference between night and day.

Tarsilion likes this.
  11. Robby

Robby Avatar

I myself want night to be quite dark, dark enough to were travel is limited unless your carrying a good lantern/torch or light spell. Gives items like lamp oil, and torch oil a purpose. Maybe exceptional quality lanterns last longer. And dungeons I want darker yet. Its all about immersion for me, I want to have it like silent hill were you have a flashlight and cant see anything without it. More people on your team mean more people can carry lanterns.
    Oh and you ought to be able to put a torch or lantern on with your shield, bow, two handed weapon.

12. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

Waiting outside the "Lunar Rift" to New Brittania
    Why have night at all, if you can see fine.

Pitch black, sure, I don't want that particularly, but a light source should be enough to resolve it. Increase the range some, give some visibility, but let it be dark. Otherwise, make it a planet that is perpetual daytime. (ala WoW)

Note, regarding "realistic" (not an argument for or against, just a point):
    If you can get away from civilization in the real world, at night, you'll find it's very very very dark without moonlight. Light pollution is terrible in cities, that's why it seems much brighter than it should be.

Mordecai and Miracle Dragon like this.
  13. sockeyesalmon

sockeyesalmon Avatar

I found it especially dark in houses at first, but after placing lanterns and candles around, the effect felt realistic and rather warm. Having said that, a "night sight" toggle for the testing events would be helpful at times.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

But you can play, and the darkness provides an atmosphere of its own to enjoy. You don't like scary stories, like Sleepy Hollow?

There's a lot of talk about the realism of darkness, and in general I think realism is a good thing, but I think darkness is also pretty fun in a game. The game that really solidified this view for me is Terraria, which involves a lot of spelunking, and requires you to pack the torches you need.

15. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I haven't played much in R2 but my problem in the previous patch was do to glare / ambient light in my apartment. If it were pitch black where I live, the darkness in game would have probably been tolerable. And while it's great to play computer games in the late evenings, that shouldn't really be a factor when playing the games.

In some of the older ultima games, they obviously didn't have the graphics power to have darkness affect contrast. So it simply limited the range you could see - e.g. 4 squares away vs 5. This would be perfect.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

The night is perfect

Miracle Dragon, Hazard and Mishri like this.
  17. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I watch a lot of scary movies and used to read quite a bit of them too... I've played horror genre video games that required a lot of very dark environments and I can't stand that. scare me when I can see everything and you know you are doing a good job, relying on cheap thrills of startling me is not scary. Atmosphere is easy to achieve without being so dark you can't see things.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

Waiting outside the "Lunar Rift" to New Brittania
    Everquest 1 was one of the best games for feeling of being afraid at night for me.

I had no idea about Gamma correction when I started playing. Nights were dark, I carried a torch or lightstone. It gave a feeling that the dark, could be a bad thing if you weren't more cautious.

Honestly I think they should add a gamma slider, keep the level of dark now and allow for adjustment to ones taste. In PvP, everyone will max it.

Now, I will say with a light source it should cast out pretty far, I haven't had a chance to play around with it much this release, though I did notice house lighting seemed too dim in R1. So if anything, make light sources put out more light.

If it's bright enough that you don't need a light source, then I believe it's too bright (for night and underground). But if you have a light source, push out the light farther so you have good area vision to an edge where it turns to dark silhouettes.

Eventually in EQ I had a point where I was asking for a lightstone to go back into a dungeon where a group I was in had wiped.

"But your an elf, you should be able to see fine."
    "Nope, pitch black."
    "Adjust your Gamma."
    "Huh?"
    *after adjustment*
    OMG I CAN SEE.

However, I've never enjoyed nights or dungeons as much as when there was dark since. And every MMO since hasn't bothered to even try to make it dark, or to give you light sources, they just make it like a stormy day brightness.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  19. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

The coffee is too hot! ;)

Time Lord, Hazard, Maka and 1 other person like this.
  20. Maka

Maka Avatar

I <3 coffee! Drinking some now so I can stay up past 9 and play tonight.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.